Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

A Note from the Writer

Old
Default
A Note from the Writer - Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
(#1)
ericnnancy's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 977
BronzeStar
Well, as we all await the decision from Pokerstars on the issue in the US, the Weekly Roundup will still go on. And I hope that all PSO players from the US will continue to post on the forums until we are allowed to play again. In the meantime, I will be looking for help from our fellow foreigners to keep the Roundup running, and I will hope that everyone continues to read the Roundup until all issues are resolved. I look forward to getting info from players abroad and hoping that you will get to know a lot of players that maybe wouldn't have been focused on before. I wish everyone well and can't wait to get back on the tables with everyone, but until that time, let's keep the community together.

Thanks,
Eric
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:47 PM
(#2)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Eric, I am not certain but how could anyone in the USA expect to play on these sites again? Anyone remember Party Poker? We still can't play there. This is an end to playing online in the USA. These guys ran around US Law to allow us to deposit on their sites. Now, they will pay for that decision. Party got out years ago.........this was bound to happen one day. That day is here my friends.

JT
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
(#3)
ericnnancy's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 977
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Sooooted View Post
Eric, I am not certain but how could anyone in the USA expect to play on these sites again? Anyone remember Party Poker? We still can't play there. This is an end to playing online in the USA. These guys ran around US Law to allow us to deposit on their sites. Now, they will pay for that decision. Party got out years ago.........this was bound to happen one day. That day is here my friends.

JT
JT-
Have faith my friend, have faith!! Bodog ran into this issue years ago as well, and look at them now. It is not the end, in my opinion, but the beginning or a new era.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:55 PM
(#4)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnnancy View Post
JT-
Have faith my friend, have faith!! Bodog ran into this issue years ago as well, and look at them now. It is not the end, in my opinion, but the beginning or a new era.
Maybe we could get some member with a law background to post in here. I can tell you this. The US Government will NOT allow you to deposit money. They have now put enough pressure on the most respected sites online so that they know. You can't take any money from anyone on US soil to play on your site.

If and when we (the USA) start regulating it maybe. But, not until. That isn't anytime in the near future. This I promise you.

GL with the writing Sir!
JT
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:00 PM
(#5)
bogweed1964's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 774
Well the info from this foreigner is that as players from outside the US cannot now withdraw their money from the site I can't see any of us sticking around to let PS fill their pockets with rake and buy ins, let alone contributing anything other than vitriol for you to write about.

I' think PokerStars credibility is spiralling rapidly down the drain and will naturally take the PSO with it.

Somehow Eric I think writing your Weekly Roundup may be the equivalent of being the violinist in the band on the Titanic.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:23 PM
(#6)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogweed1964 View Post
Well the info from this foreigner is that as players from outside the US cannot now withdraw their money from the site I can't see any of us sticking around to let PS fill their pockets with rake and buy ins, let alone contributing anything other than vitriol for you to write about.

I' think PokerStars credibility is spiralling rapidly down the drain and will naturally take the PSO with it.

Somehow Eric I think writing your Weekly Roundup may be the equivalent of being the violinist in the band on the Titanic.
This is absolutely the best thing that has ever been writen in this forum since I arrived. Well stated Sir!

JT
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:29 PM
(#7)
ericnnancy's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 977
BronzeStar
Well, the violinist I may be, but remember this has happened to sites before and now they still succeed.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
(#8)
JT_Sooooted's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,407
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnnancy View Post
Well, the violinist I may be, but remember this has happened to sites before and now they still succeed.
This has NOT happened to sites before. PartyPoker doesn't allow US because of this very thing. Bodog has too allowed deposits they shouldn't have. Time will tell my friend but this can't be good.........PERIOD!

JT
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
(#9)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,809
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I read that a couple weeks ago stars aligned itself with Steve Wynn... hopefully that will help with it some.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
(#10)
GENERAL_GEO's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 84
BronzeStar
EricnNancy,

Are Americans still able to deposit into their accounts electronically ??? PS is not warning US players about he seizure!!

WHAT HAPPENS IF I TRY TO MAKE AN ELECTRONIC DEPOSIT RIGHT NOW? I WON'T! BUT SOMEONE I'M SURE HAS UNSUSPECTINGLY.

WHAT IS BEING DONE? don't close this!!
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
(#11)
HoldMyStud's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
BronzeStar
say what you want. If we are to ever play online poker for real money in the United States its going to be a site being legally run within the US, probably limited to US residents, and abiding by all US tax laws. It still wont be legal in the states that choose not to legalize it(as live gambling currently exists in some areas of the US).

You may find that if the above does occur that you will probably be paying taxes upon cashouts, fees up the butt(government taxing) for (re)loading BRs.

There are two problems with online gambling as far as the US government is concerned. But you can be damn well sure that the main reason for this recent action is because the US Government makes nothing from online gambling as it is all run offshore/overseas.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
(#12)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,501
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyStud View Post
You may find that if the above does occur that you will probably be paying taxes upon cashouts,
Wrong.

You are already supposed to pay taxes on gambling winnings. The difference will be that a licensed and regulated US site can be held accountable to report winnings, so all the US players who have been making money at this and blowing off uncle sam, won't be able to do so any more. The sites who operate and are licensed outside of the US have no obligation to report anything to the IRS.

I still feel confident that licensing and regulation will come, but you better believe it will include account reporting to the IRS.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
(#13)
HoldMyStud's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
BronzeStar
Either way, its the same deal. Not Wrong. The big G will be making sure taxes are payed. I just wouldn't be suprised to see it come right out of your cashout(or at least be given the option to have it deducted at the time of cashout).

My point is is that anyone who was paying taxes on their illegal online gambling winnings arent very bright. If/When it becomes legal again to gamble online it will be very regulated(and you WILL pay taxes on winnings). The good thing about this scenario though is you will have easy verification of your gambling loses which you can write off.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
(#14)
Fillmore 59's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 131
Eric , thank you for attempting to introduce a note of sanity into this disturbing symphony.

Things look bad right now, but let's not leap from the Titanic just yet. The water is just too freakin' cold, and rescue may yet arrive.

Full Tilt is still playing last time I looked. Maybe all is not as bad as it seems.

Last edited by Fillmore 59; Fri Apr 15, 2011 at 09:43 PM..
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:39 PM
(#15)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,501
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyStud View Post
My point is is that anyone who was paying taxes on their illegal online gambling winnings arent very bright.
Really.

1) There is no federal law that makes online poker illegal.

2) What's actually not very bright, is tax evasion. That's how they eventually got Al Capone.
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:43 PM
(#16)
HoldMyStud's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Really.

1) There is no federal law that makes online poker illegal.

2) What's actually not very bright, is tax evasion. That's how they eventually got Al Capone.
This would be like paying sales tax to the government when I go to my drug dealer!?
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:00 PM
(#17)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,501
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyStud View Post
This would be like paying sales tax to the government when I go to my drug dealer!?
The government hasn't imposed a sales tax on drug dealers. Why, is your man adding on a tax when you buy your dime bag?
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:07 PM
(#18)
HoldMyStud's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
The government hasn't imposed a sales tax on drug dealers. Why, is your man adding on a tax when you buy your dime bag?
Ok. Let me spell it out for you in plain American English...
...I'm going to admit to the government that I am participating in illegal online gambling(notice the word illegal) by paying taxes on money I won from an illegal online gambling operation? HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!!

And no, I'm not paying taxes to my dealer. Let me make this a little clearer. Say I was an illegal drug dealer. Claiming my winnings from an illegal gambling operation is any smarter than claiming my income from illegal drug sales??
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:10 PM
(#19)
ericnnancy's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 977
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore 59 View Post
Eric , thank you for attempting to introduce a note of sanity into this disturbing symphony.

Things look bad right now, but let's not leap from the Titanic just yet. The water is just too freakin' cold, and rescue may yet arrive.

Full Tilt is still playing last time I looked. Maybe all is not as bad as it seems.

Thanks Fillmore. Pokerstars put the ban on the US players, not the Feds. Even though I am not the happiest right now, I have to look at the positives of this.

1) Pokerstars is protecting its US players at the moment. Maybe they want to make sure that their payment processors don't get shut down before they pay everyone out. They also want to make sure that US players don't spend money until all is resolved. If FT is still taking US money and something happens, then the players are screwed, so maybe PS is looking out for US players right now.

2) In a business sense, maybe Pokerstars knows they have no reason to fear the indictment and allegations against them. So, let's just play the "red tape" game until all is cleared.

3) Reading through everything that I have seen, most of the evidence is circumstantial. Remember, it has to be beyond a reasonable doubt for a guilty verdict.

4) Gonna be tough to find a jury of non-poker players...
 
Old
Default
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:12 PM
(#20)
ericnnancy's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 977
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyStud View Post
Ok. Let me spell it out for you in plain American English...
...I'm going to admit to the government that I am participating in illegal online gambling(notice the word illegal) by paying taxes on money I won from an illegal online gambling operation? HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!!

And no, I'm not paying taxes to my dealer. Let me make this a little clearer. Say I was an illegal drug dealer. Claiming my winnings from an illegal gambling operation is any smarter than claiming my income from illegal drug sales??
Stud-

I think the issue at hand here is the fact that the Act of 2006 has never held up and poker has never been able to be defined in any of the cases as illegal gambling under the Act. PartyPoker struck a deal with the governement because they figured if they did it would also shut down their competition which is killing them because of the number of US players.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com