Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

An end? Or a new beginning?............

Old
An end? Or a new beginning?............ - Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
As a US player here's my personal take on how I think the events of the last few days are going to shake out.

I think that the DOJ probably has a strong case here,one that's been building for almost 5 years. I don't have any animosity for the sites,I think they did what they needed to do for the last 5 years to keep their US players involved. When the Government exerts enough pressure to get US banking and CC institutions to not service your clientele you take the necessary steps to keep them on board.

I think many of us knew that this shoe was going to drop eventually. The question is what now?

I have a feeling that the current ownership of all the named sites (and would not be surprised if the smaller sites are dragged into this in some way as well) will reach some sort of settlement with the Government that bars them from being involved in the next paradigm of on-line poker her in the States. But that may not mean an end for the sites themselves.

Stars and FT especially have built strong brands in this industry and would probably have great interest to the future proprietors of on-line poker here in the States as brand names and intellectual properties. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Stars continue on in such a manner. When will this all sort out? Who knows?

I personally don't think it will take years but I don't think it's going to be weeks either. Hope I'm wrong on all counts,but I have a feeling I'm not.

So this brings me to the main purpose of this particular thread. As this plays out some of us are going to fall by the wayside if it takes any length of time. If and when (I'm very much convinced it will be WHEN,myself) the new taxed and regulated US on-line sites start up (open for foreign players?--meh,I think it's possible,you're just insta-taxed on any cashouts,or money in your account at the end of the year. Would they participate under these auspices is the better question I think.),then I would certainly hope that one of the sites has a forum and maybe even a School/League like PSO.

If that happens then this is my request to the rest of my PSO friends--

Under any new site keep the User ID's that you used here. That way we'll know each other when we come across former PSO'ers.

Hoping I'm way wrong on my prognosis here,and that none of this is necessary. But just in case keep that thought. Hell I'd even throw a hearty "Hi,how the Hell are you?" in PresBruno's direction right about now if it meant I was on the ether-felt doing it.

(I mean I know I can't be the ONLY one jonesing for a bad beat even......................)

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Sun Apr 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I'm personally going to snap up the DirtyRubberz name the next time around... Or CrumblyCondoms.

Old
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:46 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrissinger View Post
I'm personally going to snap up the DirtyRubberz name the next time around... Or CrumblyCondoms.

I'm laying 8-5 that the site allowing the Dirtyrubberz moniker is listed among the indictments................

Old
I feel ya bro - Sun Apr 17, 2011, 11:54 PM
(#4)
I see it the same way moxie, I will see you around bro worse comes to worse. My face book account is Julius Pinson or buda505 I will add whom ever Sir. Its been a pleaser moxie for sure sir.

Julius

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:01 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2011
Have you looked into the legal sites in the US , yet? they play for pts, and cash rewards, playing at 1 now, at final table, but have played at another for years, if you want details PM me.

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:16 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik1 View Post
Have you looked into the legal sites in the US , yet? they play for pts, and cash rewards, playing at 1 now, at final table, but have played at another for years, if you want details PM me.

Looked,can't say I was particularly interested in what they offered. And while I don't think that there is currently any such thing as an "illegal" site in the US,I don't think there's any such thing as a "legal" one either. I think that all of this will be settled in the end game of this whole scenario. The money led to the indictments--the indictments will lead to legislation--legislation will lead to legal on-line poker in the US. THAT'S how I personally think this all ends. Why? Money,pure and simple. On-line poker would be a nice little revenue stream for the Government through taxation and licensing fees. Not really looking to start over again elsewhere only to have the rug pulled out from under me again (as I think ALL sites currently operating in the US will be shutdown by the time this is over,before the new approved sites start up.)

I never thought I would play on-line to begin with. Landed in real money plays here at Stars by winning a ticket to a Weekly Round 2 Freeroll not even knowing that it was a for real $2000 on the line until I entered,cashed and had a big $0.36 put into my account. (I should have had an inkling when I had to download the Net version of the site to play,or maybe I have that backwards?).

I have an account at FT but really only play there sporadically even. If this takes a year or even months to settle I would think I'll be back playing,but if there isn't something out there that offers what Stars does as far as selection of games I may not be either.

Old
yes sir feel the same way Sir! - Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 AM
(#7)
No matter what happens moxie it has been a pleasure sir plan and simple bro. I am and still do call you a friend bro. Will allways Moxie.

Julius

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:24 AM
(#8)
Back at ya Buda!!!

I'm convinced this will all turn out okay in the end for the players. So I'm hoping this post is heeded,that we all stick with our used ID's so we can find each other in the future if it comes to that.

And stop calling me sir dude,that's like putting flatware in a trough. It don't fit.

Old
LOL - Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:28 AM
(#9)
cant help my self got lots of respect for you fcker lol! TFF tho Moxie

I hope your rigth bro really I am.

Julius

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Moxie, none of the poker sites 'operate in the US'. They did accept US customers though.

Personally, I hope that this whole disaster leads to legalizing online poker within the United States, or even better would be if the US stopped fighting the offshore sites and officially made them legal for US citizens to play on (Even though it is technically already legal).

If that happened thousands and thousands of US fish that were too afraid to play would come to play again. It would be a lot like the good old days. It would be glorious...

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 12:50 AM
(#11)
There are sites legal in the US, but they do not rake, they have a monthly fee, for the "players club", you play with points in MTT's and SNG's and they have various tourneys for a larger prize pool each month. There is some backdoor language, that I was not aware of, but found PSO right after I learned of it and did not take advantage of it. Trust me it is not the same but does provide for some entertainment, thought the ITM's are very narrow, but the skills needed to survive are the same.

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 03:51 AM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
Moxie, Just FYI, I'm on another site as SendMeCookies. Won't name it here, but, it's been named in the forums. PM for details but, xx% rakeback and a good FR system for now. Sould get better. I'm not planning on depositing for the short term. LMK -cookies.

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 03:53 AM
(#13)
Since: Sep 2010
shark, it's been awhile since you posted! Hope you're doing okay. LMK -Panicky

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 03:59 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
shark, it's been awhile since you posted! Hope you're doing okay. LMK -Panicky
Doing just fine panicky. Just jumping to the next wave of US faced poker rooms. Place 4th/2000+ in an omaha FR no less for $5, and $11 Satty only tix. Busted out the satty tix, but, nursing my $5 bucks for now. May have a way to build BR by about $3/day w/o risk, so, I figure I'll be back in action at EoM. LOL w/ 35% Rakeback, 1/2 SH FLHE will be fun. Almost better than SuperNova. But, still good. Haven't posted in a bit, because last couple of weeks forum has left me w/ a bad taste. So, I laid off for a bit. And then Black Friday. NE, look for SendMeCookies on Carbon if you want to play.

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 04:09 AM
(#15)
Since: Sep 2010
I might just sign up on Carbon. I'll pm you later. Glad to hear you've found something with potential. Maybe you can teach me a bit of Omaha sometime.

I suck at Omaha. lol. JDean can prob attest to that. But the Omaha book I ordered hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait for that to get here.

Glad to have you back here (to some extent) shark.

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 04:14 AM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik1 View Post
There are sites legal in the US, but they do not rake, they have a monthly fee, for the "players club", you play with points in MTT's and SNG's and they have various tourneys for a larger prize pool each month. There is some backdoor language, that I was not aware of, but found PSO right after I learned of it and did not take advantage of it. Trust me it is not the same but does provide for some entertainment, thought the ITM's are very narrow, but the skills needed to survive are the same.
I would say the main difference is that instead of 2 or 3 donks at one's table early in tournaments, it's more like 7 or 8 and you'll see them all the way to the end. With only a couple of donks you can pick them off. But when you 4 bet and 8 people call, your odds of winning with any hand pre-flop dwindles quite rapidly. So you either have to face off and most likely get beat or get ground down. Any game at PS is a joy to play compared to those sites.

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 06:49 AM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autodafe20 View Post
I would say the main difference is that instead of 2 or 3 donks at one's table early in tournaments, it's more like 7 or 8 and you'll see them all the way to the end. With only a couple of donks you can pick them off. But when you 4 bet and 8 people call, your odds of winning with any hand pre-flop dwindles quite rapidly. So you either have to face off and most likely get beat or get ground down. Any game at PS is a joy to play compared to those sites.

Yes, you are correct these are in my experience, freeroll sites that you can play for prizes, by no means are thes PS or PSO, and one of them, there is no accumalation of a bankroll, if you win your only option is cashout, can not even use winnings to offset monthly fees.

Old
.... - Mon Apr 18, 2011, 08:12 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
My suggestion is learn a new game. ahaha

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 08:14 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I might just sign up on Carbon. I'll pm you later. Glad to hear you've found something with potential. Maybe you can teach me a bit of Omaha sometime.

I suck at Omaha. lol. JDean can prob attest to that. But the Omaha book I ordered hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait for that to get here.

Glad to have you back here (to some extent) shark.

LOL, I suck more at omaha than u do. I just like playing cuz I gets more cards to donk with. I think every hand is now playable, as oppose to before where only 80% of my hands were playable. -Cookies. ( gotta get use to my new moniker)

Old
Mon Apr 18, 2011, 08:15 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
My name is always the same... look forward to seeing my buds somewhere..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com