Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

So I spent $90 on new software

Old
So I spent $90 on new software - Wed Nov 06, 2002, 06:19 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
and I need your all's help in deciding the best path here. It's Turbo Texas Hold'em by Wilson Software. Please take the following information into consideration:

1) I am patient in poker, not learning new software. I just want it to work.

2) The first thing I would like to do is learn to play low-limit, like $2-$4 or $3-$6, in the manner taught by Lee Jones in his book on the subject.

3) After that I would like to try and simulate my weekend homegame by manipulating the players.

4) And finally I want to set my gameplay to mimick some of the more enigmatic players here, such as pokermats, Samz, and Major, and determine the results over 80,000 hands or so.

Any help with this (from people who have actually used the software) would be greatly appreciated. And yes, I'm going to RTFM, but usually I end up more confused, so I'm pre-emptively enlisting the help of the experts.

Thanks in advance!!

Old
Thu Nov 07, 2002, 08:02 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Wow, 60 views and no replies. This place is really going south.

Old
Thu Nov 07, 2002, 08:04 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
i personally dont have mor used the software before. i have been interested in it though, so if you could, please post as to what you think of it. is it worth the price? i wish i could help you out here, but i cant. i am sure someone will give you some advice on the program. good luck,

jmuzzey lsogc

Old
Thu Nov 07, 2002, 11:10 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
I have had most of the editions of the Wilson programs for many years and they have been more useful than anything except live play. Books are fine and forums, etc. very good but being able to do simulations is absolutely invaluable. You can easily play 1000 hands in a few hours against fairly reasonable opposition.

The real advice is to become adept at setting up player profiles so that you learn how to deal with various style players. You will also get more inured to such things as bad beats, etc.

Nothing I can tell you will do you any good if you don't immerse yourself in learning how to use the program proficiently and play hand after hand and modify profiles to see how various choices affect outcomes when presented with the same opponents/cards.

You made a good investment IF you learn to use it well.

Old
Thu Nov 07, 2002, 11:12 PM
(#5)
Deleted user
However, as far as I know there is no version for big bet poker and all that you learn from Wilson about limit is of limited use in NL/PL environments.

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 12:59 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Thanks for the tips, geezer. What is currently confusing me is the exact method to set up the player personalities. The manual is very confusing, and the software is lacking in the help files department.

Can you (anyone) give me the "Reader's Digest" version how to modify opponents? I can get to the screen that shows what is done with what hands by that particular opponent, but I don't know how to make adjustments.

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 03:47 PM
(#7)
Deleted user
Select the profile menu at the top of the window. Choose the profile. The screen with all the settings will pop up. If you want to change any of the settings, you just click on the relevant box and type in the new card values. All the special instructions for that particualar screen you are on in the profile section should be on that page. Do this for all the settings you want, then click save. You are then taken to a screen with a list of custom profiles and unused slots for new profiles. You can either select a file to overwrite with the new information, or you can select an unused slot to create a new one. Type in the name of the profile and it will save. You cannot over-write pre-configured profiles that come with the program but you can modify them and then save as its own profile. To do this, select which profile you want to use for your starting point by clicking on the profile ands you are taken to that profiles settings. Make the adjustments and save in an unused slot. You can then make changes to this custom profile whenever you want and then either overwrite it with the new settings or create yet another custom profile by saving in an usused slot. And so on. This is what you do with version 4. I don't know about later versions.

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 04:18 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
It is a bit tedious to do. It is very tedious to explain. However it's clear if you run through it with manual in hand. Like all software hurdles/hoops/obstacles you just have to persevere. RTFM as they say. There probably are people who will furnish you with already made files for different profiles. When I was into it I made one called NE2 who called with any two cards and played until the only thing left was to "play the board" else never folded. It was modeled after a real player.

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 05:45 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
Alrighty geezer, I'll trust your expertise and give it what-for. And thanks, Noodles, that'll help a lot with reconstructing my home game.

Old
Wilson software - Fri Nov 08, 2002, 10:36 PM
(#10)
Deleted user
One of the most confusing things to me was the use of the term "blinds only". This simply means that no one has entered the pot yet. Wilson has free techincal support and after I called a few times they suggested I buy a book which they sell for about $10 that explains about changing the profiles. Aparrently not many of their customers want to get into the software this much. Hence the lack of info in the documentation.
As they make improvements, current users get the updated version for a nominal fee for the rest of their lives.
There is much I would like to do with the software; but I just haven't made the time. David Sklansky and some other pros noted that players of the future will be very conversant with the software. My guess is that it is $90 very well spent. It would be nice if Wilson had a user's group for us to compare notes. You will need all the patience you've got and it will well be worth the time invested.
Good luck with this.
DD

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2002, 04:59 PM
(#11)
Deleted user
Well, I spent my day at work tinkering with the software instead of working, and so far it is very, very cool. One of the handiest features is the ability to stack the deck. I'M WINNING MILLIONS!!!!

Just kidding. It's actually very useful for learning how to play key hands. I ran drills playing 100 hands of AA, AA vs. AKs, KK, KK vs. AKs, QQ, QQ vs. AKs, and that's as far as I've gotten, but you see what I'm getting at.

I created my own profile, too, but I'm perplexed. I spent about 2 hours going through and creating the hand restrictions based on a friend (Andy) I regularly play hold'em with. He's the most loose/passive player in the world. I can routinely tell him what he's holding, too (which he really hates) so I've got his playing pattern memorized.

He never, EVER raises before the flop, but he will call almost any bet to see the flop. So I programmed the persona to treat NO hand as a good pre-flop raising hand. (I also made many other changes to reflect things like the fact that he has no concept of position relative to the button or pot odds, but the no raising pre-flop was key.)

Here's the problem: the persona keeps raising pre-flop, and it's obviously not playing using the restrictions I put in. (I left everything the same as the model for turn and river play.) All the rows that ask what hands are OK for raising have the asterisks I put in there to indicate no hand is OK for a raise in that position with those cards.

So what gives? Any idea? Can their techinical support (gulp!) help me with this?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com