Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

im playing better but need help

Old
im playing better but need help - Thu Apr 21, 2011, 08:11 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
WhiteStar
Hello everybody! this is my first post but, i have been lurking. I have a big favor to ask so, if its too much. I understand completely its a few replays of a tournament i needs some help with.

A little history, i flunked a pso quiz and still have not passed (yet). Im a new player and have never played poker for money. Im reading and testing the tools from Pokerstars Pokerschool (scratched the surface) Im doing my homework and getting some interesting results. All the plays i make in this tourney I pretty much learned right here.
Many thanks to everyone here at pokerschool. BTW I believe if the (real money poker players) knew what you guys were teaching us, they would be less than thrilled.

Anyway, I entered a freeroll tournament today. I took notes on my self so i should be able to answer any questions pretty accurately. Here is my strategy going into the event.
1.value bet, value bet, value bet
2.Re-steal
3.fight for my pot-take pots post flop
4.defend my blinds
5.protect my stack-control pot size
6.locate and attack weak players
7.adjust my range - opponents range as well
8.use my table image and stack size to my advantage
9.dont pay off

first break chat box stats. i save at each break.
During current Hold'em session you were dealt 82 hands and saw flop:
 - 6 out of 8 times while in big blind (75%)
 - 6 out of 9 times while in small blind (66%)
 - 11 out of 65 times in other positions (16%)
 - a total of 23 out of 82 (28%)
 Pots won at showdown - 4 of 5 (80%)
 Pots won without showdown - 10

Sorry It looks like a lot of replays and it is because I added some folds and other interesting plays so you could see pretty much what i was up to though-out the event. feel free to be very critical of my play. I get in a situation i don't understand. would appreciate everyones advice. A situation occurs late when a new player comes to the table one seat to my left. A deep stacker. I narrowed my range and he widened his. i wont tell ya how it ends but i would really like some critical analysis of my overall play in this event. Thank you guys very much.
Shankpotomus

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...bb85dea4da%2C0

Old
?? - Thu Apr 21, 2011, 08:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
welcome and gl-- try posting a direct link in this forum-- the one u put in came up balnk 4 me-- again -- gl-- lots o good info in here-- monk.......

Old
Replayer Group replays - Thu Apr 21, 2011, 08:57 PM
(#3)
WhiteStar

TexasDoll to my left late in the tourney really messed me up. she kept interfering when i tried to isolate players. i had modest holdings most of the time and just couldnt get anything past her. i got frustrated

Last edited by shankpotomus; Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
2.Re-steal
3.fight for my pot-take pots post flop
4.defend my blinds

Remove Re-Steal and just defend your blinds where you have equity in a hand (something playable)

3. Do not fight for pots, make good decisions. It's a very small adjustment in thinking, but it will pay huge dividends.

4. Defend blinds with equitable hands (as previously stated).

So the 77 hand..

You bet too small on the flop, because there are a lot of hands which touch this flop which called pre. You want to narrow the field a bit to draws, and overcards, not random A5 of hearts who float to hit an ace.

Turn - two big draws. Hearts and straight draws + JT of hearts (people love JTs)

Need to bet 3/4 pot to pot, too many people left in the hand and if one other person calls a pot sized bet any other hearts flat here and you have a lot of cards on the river which cause you issues.

River - this is a good place to c/c and hope flushes bet. You get someone shove on you and you're going to have to think hard about the hand and how it's played out and if 55s could be here.

You seem to put yourself in spots where the easy decision is not there, it makes the game much tougher on yourself.

Old
thanks Archide - Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
(#5)
WhiteStar
the 77 hand.....i watched it a few more times. and decided i wont use the aejones theory as much. thanks again

I finished 22 of 3062 on what i thought were mostly very modest holdings though out the tournament. other than that i only had to fold a few group 3 hands because of position. I was always in difficult situations but i picked my targets carefully and got lucky.

could you tell me what my table image was? and be honest i can take it........i think.

here is my chat window stats at each break
During current Hold'em session you were dealt 82 hands and saw flop:
- 6 out of 8 times while in big blind (75%)
- 6 out of 9 times while in small blind (66%)
- 11 out of 65 times in other positions (16%)
- a total of 23 out of 82 (28%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 5 (80%)
Pots won without showdown - 10

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 146 hands and saw flop:
- 13 out of 15 times while in big blind (86%)
- 12 out of 16 times while in small blind (75%)
- 26 out of 115 times in other positions (22%)
- a total of 51 out of 146 (34%)
Pots won at showdown - 8 of 11 (72%)
Pots won without showdown - 24

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 202 hands and saw flop:
- 18 out of 21 times while in big blind (85%)
- 13 out of 23 times while in small blind (56%)
- 29 out of 158 times in other positions (18%)
- a total of 60 out of 202 (29%)
Pots won at showdown - 9 of 13 (69%)
Pots won without showdown - 27

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 249 hands and saw flop:
- 22 out of 26 times while in big blind (84%)
- 14 out of 29 times while in small blind (48%)
- 32 out of 194 times in other positions (16%)
- a total of 68 out of 249 (27%)
Pots won at showdown - 10 of 16 (62%)
Pots won without showdown - 30

Last edited by shankpotomus; Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:42 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
If I saw these stats I would tend to raise more in the MP just for the chance to isolate you in the blinds. You can not play post flop as profitably OOP. So if you're willing to play from that many SB and BBs, I want to be in the hands.

That's entirely too often brother, stop completing with suited connectors HU. Stop completing with 22-55 when you only have one PFRer in the hand.

Stop fighting for pots in the blinds.

Old
blind stealers - Thu Apr 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
(#7)
WhiteStar
TheLangolier said people will try to steal blinds with marginal hands. I used to get my blinds stolen all the time as I didn't know what was going on. This made a big impact on me. i started to steal and get away with it alot. so I wont stop until someone stops me. I will adjust so when i move up to higher skill level opponents i will be ready. I admit im pretty stoked about these concepts and over using them a tad bit. Thanks again much appreciated.

Last edited by shankpotomus; Thu Apr 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 22, 2011, 12:28 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
on the 77 hand, I agree with Archide that you need to bet more on the flop and also more on the turn. By doing this, it'll get rid of some of the draws... that can beat you on the river.

The one thing I see with your stats are that you are playing way too many hands. You should be in the 20-25% range, and even less if you're getting bad cards (slightly more if you are getting great cards). When you move up in competition, this will be something that a good player will notice and take total advantage of. They'll see this, and KO you from a tourney when they get a premium hand when you're trying to steal (especially if you're in the blinds). If you stop fighting for the blinds, especially the SB when you have a bad hand or in the BB when you don't have a playable hand, you'll be better off. You may get lucky once... it will not hold.

Old
Fri Apr 22, 2011, 05:34 PM
(#9)
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by archide View Post
If I saw these stats I would tend to raise more in the MP just for the chance to isolate you in the blinds. You can not play post flop as profitably OOP. So if you're willing to play from that many SB and BBs, I want to be in the hands.
I think this is very interesting because im trying to get this result from middle to late players. As you may find me holding monster? Im curious if this is correct thinking on my part? i have my folds included in the bundle of hands posted to demonstrate my fold button. could you take another look and tell me if i am that darn vulnerable i need to know. I can take it. just trying to improve. Thanks

Old
Fri Apr 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
I'm only referring to blind play. The problem with paying so many hands defending from OOP is that you can't C-bet everything, you will need to check a lot of hands and people will begin to make you float to continue.

What happens is that you either begin floating flop bets and playing turns OOP (not a very good situation) or trying to extract only on made hands (very straight forward and it's too easy to play against you post flop when you are in the blinds)

Old
Fri Apr 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
(#11)
(Head Trainer)
Hi shank,

Welcome to the forum, I hope this is the first post of many!

First on the 77 hand I agree with everyone else, bet more on all streets. We have a strong post flop hand that is certainly willing and desiring to play for stacks if possible. You bet just under half the pot on the flop and just over a quarter pot on the turn. You should be able to extract more value than that with your monster, so go ahead and take it from them (including on the river bet).

As for defending blinds, I agree with arch it seems you're defending way too often. One thing you said:
Quote:
I think this is very interesting because im trying to get this result from middle to late players. As you may find me holding monster? Im curious if this is correct thinking on my part?
The place where this thinking goes wrong is that you're defending your blind way too often. When you're seeing the flop from the big blind 84% of the time (granted I'm sure you got some free plays too, but still this is a really high number), players are going to be much less wary of you holding a monster. 22 out of 26 big blinds you saw the flop, how many monsters are you actually dealt in the BB out of 26 times? Not 22. Not 10. 5 would be pretty hot (depending on how we define monster I guess). So your opponents know you mostly have marginal holdings, which will flop a lot of very marginal holdings and be hard for you to continue with post flop. That's why arch is going to take some extra steps to isolate your BB from MP or LP. I would too honestly.

Look at it this way, let's say you got 2 "monsters" (loosely defined) in 26 bb's. That's 7.7% of the time, which in pokerstove is a range of 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AQo+. I wouldn't exactly call all of these monsters per say like QJs, KTs, 88... but certainly they can be defendable. Compare that to 22/26 which is 84.6%: 22+,A2s+,K2s+,Q2s+,J2s+,T2s+,92s+,82s+,72s+,62s+,5 2s+,42s+,32s,A2o+,K2o+,Q2o+,J2o+,T3o+,95o+,85o+,75 o+,64o+,54o
T3o, 85o, J2o.... see why arch isn't afraid of you holding a monster?

Some players DO steal the blinds frequently (some do not). Against the ones that do, there are often profitable resteal opportunities and profitable defend opportunites. But if you're defending or restealing constantly you'll lose credibility. The one nice thing about that is when you do pick up a bona fide monster you can expect to get paid off handsomely with it. But those are such rare birds, it's better to be able to resteal effectively. In fact I don't make a big deal about defending my blinds in the early rounds of an MTT. Certainly if I see an opportunity to pick up some free chips off a chronic stealer, I'll take it. But I don't mind developing an image as a non-defender because when the blinds grow relative to the stacks and the antes kick in, I plan to look for good resteal spots more aggressively and all spots are a little bit better if my image is that of a non-defender... I'll get more credit for the goods, at least the first couple times I resteal.

Old
got it - Fri Apr 22, 2011, 10:52 PM
(#12)
WhiteStar
thanks everybody, you guys probably just saved me six months of figuring this out the hard way.

I personally find table image an exciting component in poker....i would like to suggest a live training session on developing table image in turbos to cash games and everything in between.
thanks again

Last edited by shankpotomus; Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 22, 2011, 11:37 PM
(#13)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankpotomus View Post
I personally find table image an exciting component in poker....i would like to suggest a live training session on developing table image in turbos to cash games and everything in between.
thanks again
Well, I usually don't actively try to develop a table image. I try to make the best decisions I can in the moment, adjusting to exploit my opponents when possible, which leads to gear shifts depending on what the table is doing, all of which has a byproduct of different images. So I try to stay cognizant of what my current perceived image is, and then factor that into future decisions.

You can try to develop a certain image, but that may not always be ideal. For instance, if you decide you're going to build a tight image, then happen to find yourself at an already tight/conservative table, then you're missing opportunities because you should adjust by getting more loose-aggressive generally.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com