Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Article published 4/22 and upcoming legislation

Old
Angry
Article published 4/22 and upcoming legislation - Sat Apr 23, 2011, 06:46 PM
(#1)
Scintle's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 15
BronzeStar
Have you seen this article?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...ices-decision/

It's titled

Online Poker Shutdown -- What's Really Behind the Department of Justice's Decision?

In the article it says "The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA) is poorly written, clumsy attempt to ban online gambling by deputizing banks and credit processing companies to prevent payment processing of “unlawful” Internet gambling—without ever defining what constitutes such “unlawful” Internet gambling"

and

"Laws like the UIGEA allow government entities to extort billions of dollars from companies while forcing ordinary citizens underground with nowhere to turn when they are victimized by real fraud."

perhaps most importantly

"Ironically, this indictment comes at a time when online gambling has a good chance of becoming officially legal. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) is co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill with Rep. John Campbell (R-Calif.) to legalize online gambling at the federal level, while several states, including New Jersey, Florida, and the District of Columbia, have or are close to legalizing online wagering. Even land-based brick-and-mortar casinos, longtime opponents of legalizing Internet gambling, have finally begun to support legalization."


I'm writing my representatives and the White House every other day. Let's change this situation NOW!
 
Old
Default
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 08:49 PM
(#2)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintle View Post
Have you seen this article?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...ices-decision/

It's titled

Online Poker Shutdown -- What's Really Behind the Department of Justice's Decision?

In the article it says "The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA) is poorly written, clumsy attempt to ban online gambling by deputizing banks and credit processing companies to prevent payment processing of “unlawful” Internet gambling—without ever defining what constitutes such “unlawful” Internet gambling"

and

"Laws like the UIGEA allow government entities to extort billions of dollars from companies while forcing ordinary citizens underground with nowhere to turn when they are victimized by real fraud."

perhaps most importantly

"Ironically, this indictment comes at a time when online gambling has a good chance of becoming officially legal. Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) is co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill with Rep. John Campbell (R-Calif.) to legalize online gambling at the federal level, while several states, including New Jersey, Florida, and the District of Columbia, have or are close to legalizing online wagering. Even land-based brick-and-mortar casinos, longtime opponents of legalizing Internet gambling, have finally begun to support legalization."


I'm writing my representatives and the White House every other day. Let's change this situation NOW!

The one word I find "funny" in this is "ironically". I just am having a harder and harder time believing that with legislation out there that could,technically,be brought up to a vote on the floor of the House at any time,that the timing of these charges being brought forward by the DOJ are coincidental.

In the end I firmly believe that this is about,first and foremost,MONEY. Who benefits the most from these sites being whacked here in the States if that's the end result of this? The casinos who are likely to end up running on-line poker here in the States. Clear the competition out of the way before the market opens.

Why might the Obama Administration's DOJ be interested in making the casino's happy? Well 2012 is an election year and Nevada promises to be a battleground state,as it was in 2008. Every electoral vote is something to be sought in a time when a spread of say roughly 53-47% for the winner in the popular vote is considered a landslide. Never hurts to have friends in the most influential industry in a state you may need.

And it's not like this would be the first time we've seen the DOJ's indictment power used to serve a political end,either directly or indirectly. Far from it as a matter of fact.

I'm not trying to come of as a cynic when I post things like this,but I really feel that there are several angles at play in this whole deal. The owing of "favors" in an upcoming election cycle is just one of many that I can think of being in play.

But you are 1000 and 1% correct in your final summation here---WE,the players,need to make OUR voices heard in this process. Respectfully,but also repeatedly and forcefully.

Write/call and e-mail your representatives,at both the House and Senate levels. And let the White House know how you feel as well. Several million e-mails from ANY advocacy group will not go unnoticed,you can be sure of that.

Good catch and link here Scintle.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Sat Apr 23, 2011 at 09:04 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
(#3)
RedLetterman's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 665
aaa

Last edited by RedLetterman; Sat Nov 26, 2011 at 09:28 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 09:48 PM
(#4)
Scintle's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 15
BronzeStar
If you look up the UIGEA or Safe Port Act on Wikipedia, You'll see that The World Trade Organization ruled that the US was in violation of it's Treaty obligations by not granting full access to Antiguan gambling companies. And similar demands for compensation were made by the European Union. George W. Bush settled these claims by granting concessions in other areas - which they declined to make public!!

The Republicans made these laws and George W. Bush gave away billions in concessions that he refused to make public hiding behind 'national secuity'.

It's 'national secuirty' that I can't play online poker? Obviously, there was a lot going on here that no one is telling. Whoever is behind it and whoever has participated in it should writhe in shame and humilation for their part in it!

Last edited by Scintle; Sat Apr 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 12:49 AM
(#5)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintle View Post
If you look up the UIGEA or Safe Port Act on Wikipedia, You'll see that The World Trade Organization ruled that the US was in violation of it's Treaty obligations by not granting full access to Antiguan gambling companies. And similar demands for compensation were made by the European Union. George W. Bush settled these claims by granting concessions in other areas - which they declined to make public!!

The Republicans made these laws and George W. Bush gave away billions in concessions that he refused to make public hiding behind 'national secuity'.

It's 'national secuirty' that I can't play online poker? Obviously, there was a lot going on here that no one is telling. Whoever is behind it and whoever has participated in it should writhe in shame and humilation for their part in it!

Yep,Bill Frist stuck it in the Port Security Act as a "rider" and that's how it became "law". I personally think this investigation very well may have started during Gonzales' tenure as AG,it doesn't strike me as something that was just cobbled together but more built over a period of time. When you have a target like off-shore on-line poker sites that have powerful enemies lined up against them,and a group of supporters who are marginalized (and that's how the folks in Government,for the most part,see us I believe)then it's really immaterial as to who is in power--that target is low-hanging fruit so it's gonna get whacked. Plenty of "blame",if that's even the right term,to throw at both parties here,IMO.

That's why what you said at the end of your OP and others,myself included,have been saying since this came down---GET INVOLVED. Let them know that we are watching and we are keeping score on who is with us and who is against us. As turbulent as our political environment is right now I don't think any politician can afford to ignore a decent sized group of potential "single-issue" voters.
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:01 AM
(#6)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcard1 View Post
Most of the online poker groupies just dont want to believe it but it's deff over and will only get worse before it gets better. Hope they dont hold their breath for to long tho. iv came ahead all in all on the site but waisted many many hours, i hope they always make online poker illigal it is shady iv had multiple accounts for years and cornered tables with others its a small part of the bigger schemes but PS really dont care as long as they can get that RAKE!! For every person that petitions the gov to keep it there will be another inline against it. LONG LIVED ONLINE POKER!!! and the pros that endorse it are sellouts:wave

Firstly you may feel that YOUR time here was wasted. That does not apply to most of us though,we've come to value the friendships we've made here and enjoy playing here. Maybe if you didn't carry yourself as such a contrarian ass all the time your experience here may have been a little happier.

And did I read this drivel of yours correctly? You lay into Stars for being "shady" and in the very next breath admit to being a multi-accounter and a cheat? LMFAO--Hey pot,the kettle is on the line!!!!

Well I've only been here about 9 months and I've been a profitable player---and I didn't have to cheat to do it either. And there are tons of players just here in this community that far,far outstrip anything I've done here.So if you're implying that one needs to cheat to win here,or that the site is rigged---well give a tip of your tinfoil hat to the black helicopters when they come buzzing your double-wide later.

Seriously if you hate this site so much and it's so beneath your contempt why don't you just GTFO??!!

You won't be missed,I assure you.
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
(#7)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Firstly you may feel that YOUR time here was wasted. That does not apply to most of us though,we've come to value the friendships we've made here and enjoy playing here. Maybe if you didn't carry yourself as such a contrarian ass all the time your experience here may have been a little happier.

And did I read this drivel of yours correctly? You lay into Stars for being "shady" and in the very next breath admit to being a multi-accounter and a cheat? LMFAO--Hey pot,the kettle is on the line!!!!

Well I've only been here about 9 months and I've been a profitable player---and I didn't have to cheat to do it either. And there are tons of players just here in this community that far,far outstrip anything I've done here.So if you're implying that one needs to cheat to win here,or that the site is rigged---well give a tip of your tinfoil hat to the black helicopters when they come buzzing your double-wide later.

Seriously if you hate this site so much and it's so beneath your contempt why don't you just GTFO??!!

You won't be missed,I assure you.


GO KINGS

 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:15 AM
(#8)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post


GO KINGS


They did,they did. The Shark Tank was awful quiet tonight----until they booed the Sharks off the ice at the end of the 3rd period that is,LOL.

And my boys are through to the next round. In it's history today was the loudest I've ever heard the MCI Center. My ears are still ringing a little.

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(BTW---if it's Kings/Ducks at some point who are you gonna pull for?)
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:25 AM
(#9)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
KINGS

GO DUCKS NOW

 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:27 AM
(#10)
brkn80's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post

(BTW---if it's Kings/Ducks at some point who are you gonna pull for?)
Like that will ever happen LOL

GO WINGS
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 01:33 AM
(#11)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn80 View Post
Like that will ever happen LOL

GO WINGS

Well,what if PStars ends up sponsoring the NHL? It could happen then,as obviously the NHL would be rigged from that moment forward.

Just ask lastcard................

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(Wings looked tough against Phoenix BTW. Those greybeards they have can keep their legs from falling off they're always a scary team this time of year.)
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
(#12)
Scintle's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 15
BronzeStar
I love Hockey too Moxie. Started when a friend took me to see a game - which happened to be the first game Wayne played for the Kings. But I stopped watching the Kings when they got that talentless cross eyed weasel Foxx to commentate. Couldn't stand the harsh monotone of his voice - or the brainless words coming out of his mouth! Don't even know if he's still there. If he is that's a stupid management decision and they probably deserve to lose!

So right now I say ..... Go Barney Frank!
 
Old
Default
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 05:57 PM
(#13)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintle View Post
I love Hockey too Moxie. Started when a friend took me to see a game - which happened to be the first game Wayne played for the Kings. But I stopped watching the Kings when they got that talentless cross eyed weasel Foxx to commentate. Couldn't stand the harsh monotone of his voice - or the brainless words coming out of his mouth! Don't even know if he's still there. If he is that's a stupid management decision and they probably deserve to lose!

So right now I say ..... Go Barney Frank!

Yeah nothing like seeing hockey live. I've always said that IMO the NHL playoffs are the best professional sports postseason that we have (NCAA Basketball--March Madness is my favorite all told though).

As to Barney Frank and his ongoing fight for our on-line poker rights,he's still in there fighting and the good news is that his latest measure in the House has a Republican co-sponsor (John Campbell R-CA). The bad news for us is that after last years election results Frank is no longer the Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee,a committee that he actually got his on-line poker bill last year (HR 2267) out of committee on,by nearly a 2-1 vote as well (41-22).


The really bad news for us is that the new Chairman of the committee is Spencer Bachus (R-AL) who is definitely NOT on our side on this issue. Quite the opposite he's adamantly opposed to the idea of legalizing on-line poker. And he of course would control whether any bill on the subject makes it out of his committee.

It was Bachus and Michelle "the Moonbat" Bachmann (R-MN) who after HR 2267 passed through the committee last year introduced an amendment to the Bill stating that "anyone who knowingly participated in,or should have known they were participating in,any illegal internet gambling activity" on or since the passage of UIEGA in 2006 should be prevented from receiving a license.

Personally I love the idea of someone of Ms. Bachmann's debatable stability telling someone what they should or shouldn't have known,but even beyond that is the fact that the legality (or illegality) of the on-line sites had never been determined in any US Court,at least not to my knowledge. Remember these indictments against the sites are going after them on banking violations (alleged),not on the actual poker playing itself.

I keep hopeful that our persistence in pressuring the politicians on this can bear fruit sooner than later for reasons that I stated earlier in this thread (money to be made while in a huge deficit hole,political favors owed,etc.) and the simple fact that in the big picture as far as other issues this Congress has on it's plate this is small potatoes. So it's a chip that could easily be bargained away to the side that shows that they want a resolution on this issue more.

We have to let them know that side is ours.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Sun Apr 24, 2011 at 06:01 PM..
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com