Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

overall play tourney set

Old
overall play tourney set - Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:02 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
WhiteStar
very interesting reply's to the last set i posted i wasn't expecting but learned valuable insight from.

same setup as my last set posted.....in it to win it mind set. trying to take advantage of any attack line i can exploit.

my finish is about my average 422 of 3500 entry's. wanting to break this barrier.

my chat box stats.
During current Hold'em session you were dealt 50 hands and saw flop:
- 3 out of 5 times while in big blind (60%)
- 2 out of 6 times while in small blind (33%)
- 10 out of 39 times in other positions (25%)
- a total of 15 out of 50 (30%)
Pots won at showdown - 4 of 5 (80%)
Pots won without showdown - 1

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 98 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 10 times while in big blind (80%)
- 3 out of 11 times while in small blind (27%)
- 26 out of 77 times in other positions (33%)
- a total of 37 out of 98 (37%)
Pots won at showdown - 6 of 11 (54%)
Pots won without showdown - 6

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 99 hands and saw flop:
- 8 out of 10 times while in big blind (80%)
- 3 out of 11 times while in small blind (27%)
- 27 out of 78 times in other positions (34%)
- a total of 38 out of 99 (38%)
Pots won at showdown - 6 of 12 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 6

my blind play shows improvement. but my total hands played is up there.
the reason the high total. while being very aware of the advice i received from the last set is.
the table allows limping speculative hands. getting alot of cheap looks. im playing freeroll so does that make sense?

anyway if these sets are to time consuming just let me know. and thanks again for the valuable insight from the last set.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 1, that early in the tourney, it's an auto-muck. It's way too early to be gambling on only a suited hand (with no straight possible nor A).

Playing hands like that is a reason that your flop % is way too high. Yes, you got real lucky on it, but more often than not, you're going to get KO'd if you play marginal-at-best hands that early.

P.S. It's alot easier for all of us to reply to your hands if you put only 1 hand per each forum thread.

Last edited by JWK24; Sun Apr 24, 2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 2

seeing the flop for free from the BB is ok.

Making a bet when you get an A on the flop is ok too, as it lets you know where you're at compared to the others still in the hand. When it's called by 3 players, alot more often than not, you're going to be behind due to having a bad kicker (ace/rag suited).

Your check on the turn is fine, it's real surprising that someone didn't bet the turn (especially the last to act).

Folding to the large bet on the river is what I'd have done too. There is a flush possibility out there and since almost always there will be an A with a larger kicker than you, it's a good fold.

The one thing that I may have done different is that I might have bet the river since everyone checked the turn. If you get pushed, then it's a muck, but you might just take the pot down too.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:43 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 3

I like the preflop raise. Since it's early, you want to raise a bit more than the normal raise to 3-4 BB. When you get raised back and 2 others call it, seeing the flop is a must, as they price you into it.... but I'm alot more worried about someone having a better hand.

The 5BB bet by a player that was NOT the re-raise but a call preflop, should be a big warning for you. Since it's only 150 chips, I'd call it and see another card, but be ready to get off the hand without another Q coming onto the board.

On the turn, when the player that bet the flop pushes and its instantly called by another player, you need to realize that you're beat and muck the QQ. You're beat by any higher pocket pair (which is easily possible with the plays preflop) or any 2 (A2 suited more than likely is what someone should have, if they have a 2), or there are also still draws for a straight or flush on the river.

This is one hand that you need to save your chips for a better situation.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 4

I like the call preflop from the SB, as you do have connecting cards. I also like the check on the flop, as you totally missed it and there are 6 in the hand, so someone has you beat.

You missed on the turn (although you did pick up 6 outs... discounting the diamonds due to a flush). I don't like the 200 bet here, as you have absolutely nothing but a draw. I'd check and see if I can get to the straight. Both of the callers of that bet are ahead of you in the hand. Against random cards, you only win less than 17% of the time.... if they have a pair (they will), you are only at about 12%.
You made a bet of 71% into a pot that you can only win between 12-17% of the time. Those chips need to be saved for a situation where you are a favorite, not a considerable underdog in the hand.

You absolutely made the correct play by folding on the river.

Old
thank you JWK24 - Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
(#6)
WhiteStar
I know its alot to ask but the results from the suggestions saved me alot of table time learning so, i decided to push all in here again.

I admit i have not poker stoved it yet. At the time i knew my play was medium draw heads up. I thought there is a little room for this play. Thanks again JWK24 i will use your advice!

if there is anything else worth comment please do so.

one more question i need advice on limping. my tactic here is if i can see 3 cards cheap do it. that is about all im thinking.

Last edited by shankpotomus; Sun Apr 24, 2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:54 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 5

auto-muck preflop. You have suited cards that cannot make a straight and over 18BB left. Your chips need to be saved for a better situation.

You missed the flop and you correctly folded it.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:55 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankpotomus View Post
I admit i have not poker stoved it yet.
I'm taking the % numbers from stove.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hand 6

same as hand 5. suited cards that can't make a straight nor even top/2nd/3rd best flush. auto-muck preflop with 34BB left.

you missed the flop and called a bet with absolutely nothing, as you need runner/runner to even get to a marginal hand. There are way too many people in this hand and you are guaranteed to be beat as of this point in the hand.

turn, easy fold, as you had 3 outs to maybe chop the pot.

Old
good stuff man - Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
(#10)
WhiteStar
hand 4 ....that was a blocking bet does that make sense?

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 7

15BB left and you pushed with K 10 dia. With as loose as that table was playing, I'd have tried to see the flop cheap, instead of pushing..... because you're going to get called and are probably behind someone, especially with 4 in the hand (someone has an A or a pair).

Love the flop. Basically the best case scenario for you. Top pair and flush draw. If I saw that flop cheap, it's an instant shove for me on the flop.

The turn would scare me a bit. Yes you get top 2 pair, but that opens up straight draws for your opponents.

River, jackpot. You upgrade from 2 pair to a flush. Only hand that can beat you is pkt diamonds with the A and with a loose table like that, I'll take my chances.

As soon as I saw they called your preflop push with K 2 off (button), I'd immediately make a note on that player and want them at my table everytime I sit down in a tourney.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankpotomus View Post
hand 4 ....that was a blocking bet does that make sense?
later in a tourney after the donks are gone, I agree with the blocking bet.... or in a tourney that you know everyone is a legitimate player. Early in a tourney, it'll get you into trouble, because people will be calling with anything.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 8

another early hand that's marginal, at best. At least you got to see the flop cheap (a good thing).

I like the bet on the flop, but I don't think I'd have bet that much (over 2X pot). Yes, you want to get people off of aces or kings or diamonds.... but with them calling any bet in the previous hands, I'd have only made a pot sized bet. You only have a J kicker, so you could be outkicked, or outdrawn later.

If you want to try and end the hand there, I'd have bet a bit more, probably 750-1k.

It worked out and they all folded. If anyone calls there, you need to be ready to fold your hand if an A or K or diamond hits the board... or if you think someone flopped a set.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
hand 9

another that it's too early to be playing these hands, but at least this one is a 1-gap, so it's possible you could hit a low straight too. Even with trying to see the flop cheap, it's an auto muck to a raise to 7BB preflop. You're way behind and you need to save your chips for a better situation.
Total miss on the flop, easy muck.

A hand like this is another good example of why your flop % is too high.

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:22 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you look back at things. The hands that are making your flop % be higher and why you're losing chips are from playing two types of hands way, way too early in a tourney.
You're playing too many suited hands that do not connect and from some of the later hands, too many Ace/rag hands that are unsuited.

If you lower the number of those that you play, you'll find yourself being able to retain the chips that you are stacking from playing the better hands.

Everyone has to learn this if they want to be a better player (me included!).

If there are any other specific hands that you want me to look at, please let me know and I'll check them.

Old
got to get going but........ - Sun Apr 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
(#16)
WhiteStar
Thanks So much JWK24, much appreciated. I have to get going so, in the next couple days i will review your suggestions play by play and get back to you. I cant believe what a great resource this is. thanks for you time....its not Wasted. once again i know im making mistakes but trying to push the concepts i learn here hard to speed up my development. BTW i never heard of a blocking bet until i watched a live training video by thelangoilier the other day and somebody asked an off the wall question.

my first blocking bet, why i did it. i wasn't looking to do it. it just came up when i was considering my options. i was hoping the table would think that the lag in the corner was slow playing something as he has not bet that way once.

Last edited by shankpotomus; Sun Apr 24, 2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
here's an example of my numbers from a game.....

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 103 hands and saw flop:
- 11 out of 14 times while in big blind (78%)
- 4 out of 14 times while in small blind (28%)
- 6 out of 75 times in other positions (8%)
- a total of 21 out of 103 (20%)

Old
playing better - Wed Apr 27, 2011, 03:27 PM
(#18)
WhiteStar
JWK24, your analysis makes clear sense to me. i am playing much better the last couple days. Thanks for posting your stats. Its one more tool in my growing tool box. For example, after folding about 20 hands in a row i check hand stats and notice its only been 7 hands. simple thing but everything helps.

I will ask this wide open question in New Member forum. I was wondering is there a bench mark in the play money arena that indicates when i might be ready to play real money when i becomes legal?

Thanks again, i am playing much better.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com