Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Net Expected Won BB?

Old
Net Expected Won BB? - Tue Apr 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Hello,

I'm having a nasty down swing, so I've been replaying hands, running over my stats and looking at the numbers that PT3 will show me. Most of which, to be honest, I don't understand. The stats that are concerning me at the moment are 'Net expected won BB'

From what I can work out, if I won, but have a negative net expected BB number, then I got 'lucky' (beat the odds). But if I lost with a positive BB number then I got 'unlucky' (the odds beat me).

eg. my AA goes down to ATo because the villain hits a straight, I have a positive 'net expected BB' number. and vise versa.

My question is why does 'unluck' way outweigh the 'lucky'.

Is it because I'm playing 9 other hands?

Or I'm not getting myself in to hands to get 'lucky' with?

I've just check the last three days and found that I was 'unlucky' 51 times and 'lucky' 14 times.

And when I was 'lucky' I won an average of 0.74 BB's. 'unlucky' lost me an average of 3.82 BB's.

That looks ugly to me. So ugly that I must be misunderstanding the numbers.

What the story?

Old
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 08:23 PM
(#2)
Wrong place I think

Old
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved **

Old
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
(#4)
Thanks Joe. Had to many tabs open and posted in the wrong one. Clown.

Old
Wed Apr 27, 2011, 01:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Steve,

How many hands is this over? It is very possible to run this badly over small sample sizes. And "small" is larger than people think. Of course there may well be other factors contributing to the problem, mistakes in the play of good but not great hands (like top pair or overpairs on deep money) might be a good place to start looking.

The "net expected won BB" sounds similar to a stat in hold'em manager called "$ EV Adjusted". In January I ran 21 buy ins below expectation, over 28K hands. There's been other months of course where I've run well too. But until you're talking 50K+ hands minimum, you can expect some fluctuations due to sheer luck (either good or bad). Certainly one should never take that as an excuse to not examine one's own play, but do be aware of it.

Dave

Old
Thu Apr 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
(#6)
Hello Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I'm doing some more digging to work out what I'm looking at. And work out how to use PT properly.

The hand sample is very small, only around 3000. Sure that makes the 51 worse. Would love to post them all, but not to practical.

I'll be back

Steve

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com