Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Early in 10 FPP tourney

Old
Early in 10 FPP tourney - Fri Apr 29, 2011, 09:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
This was hand #2 of a 10 FPP MTT (Essentially a freeroll). I had no notes on any of these players, and had not played enough hands at this table to have any kind of a read on any of them. The only info I have at this point is that they have played enough on the site to earn 10 FPP's.

PokerStars Game #61268366899: Tournament #379758422, 10FPP Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/04/24 19:41:26 ET
Table '379758422 66' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: patnick58 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: Eligiusz2011 (4720 in chips)
Seat 3: Chilquilín (1400 in chips)
Seat 4: Abraça a BAD (1480 in chips)
Seat 5: Freckldgator (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: ECanaldal (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: indietasch (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: 7Bcity (1500 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 9: kateybolly (1400 in chips)
Chilquilín: posts small blind 10
Abraça a BAD: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Freckldgator [Ad As]
I am thinking "Yay!" and "Oh crap!" at the same time as I am uncomfortable getting strong hands this early in a tournament.
Freckldgator: raises 40 to 60
As first to act, I decided on a standard raise to see who might 3bet me (Plan=re-raise if 1 or 2 left in when it gets to me.
ECanaldal: folds
indietasch: folds
7Bcity: folds
kateybolly: calls 60
patnick58: calls 60
Eligiusz2011: folds
Chilquilín: calls 50
Abraça a BAD: calls 40
4 callers...starting to think about what to do with a scary flop.
*** FLOP *** [2c 5s 7h]
The flop is not at all bad for AA. My main concerns are a set, backdoor flush draw. I am wondering if any of these guys would have called a 3xbb preflop raise with 3-4 or 6-4 for OES draw? I don't know, but not likely. A-4 or A-3 for a gutshot, OR A-2, A-5, or A-7 for 2 pair seems much more likely, any A being a very common hand to play in these tourneys.
Chilquilín: checks
Abraça a BAD: checks
Freckldgator: bets 320
Two checks= weak, so I decide to try to thin the field (hopefully to 1 opponent) with a pot sized bet (the $20 extra was a misclick).
kateybolly: folds
patnick58: calls 320
Chilquilín: folds
Abraça a BAD: calls 320
Two callers, but no show of strength.
*** TURN *** [2c 5s 7h] [Qd]
I am loving this turn card. It has eliminated any chance of a flush, and has not helped any of the possible straight draws. I am doubting a set or even 2 pair at this point because of weakness shown by the opponents. I decide I am going all-in and HOPING one of these players hit top pair with a Q.
Abraça a BAD: checks
Freckldgator: bets 1120 and is all-in
patnick58: folds
Abraça a BAD: folds
Uncalled bet (1120) returned to Freckldgator
Freckldgator collected 1260 from pot
Freckldgator: shows [Ad As] (a pair of Aces)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1260 | Rake 0
Board [2c 5s 7h Qd]
Seat 1: patnick58 folded on the Turn
Seat 2: Eligiusz2011 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Chilquilín (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: Abraça a BAD (big blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 5: Freckldgator collected (1260)
Seat 6: ECanaldal folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: indietasch folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: 7Bcity folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: kateybolly folded on the Flop

I am interested in any comments on this hand and my thought process as it progressed. One question I have is my all-in on the turn-should I have bet less and hoped for a caller and get more value? Or is this a good position to just "go for it?"

Replayer: (I hope)

Last edited by Freckldgator; Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think you need to bet a bit more preflop. yes, you raised to 3BB.. but with regard to the chip stacks, 60 chips really isn't anything. I'll normally open with 150-250 this early. The last thing you want is the entire table calling a bet of 60 and having someone drawout on you because people will stay with ATC this early.

Flop was a best case scenario for you. You have to make a good sized bet at it, if nothing else, to thin the field, as you stated. For the smaller pot, I like the pot sized bet. With betting more earlier, I'd have probably bet about 500-1/2 my remaining stack.

Pushing the turn with the Q, no problems at all. If someone's drawing to Qx, then I want them to pay for it... and with that many in the pot, someone could easily have AQ, KQ, QJ, etc. Even if everyone else folds, you're still almost doubling up on the hand.

P.S. Unless you're setting up a bluff later, do NOT show them the aces. It'll give your opponents info they can use against you later due to your betting patterns. Only show a hand if someone pays for it, or you have a specific reason to (set up a bluff or try to tilt someone).

Old
Fri Apr 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Thanks for that analysis and thanks for pointing out that I showed at the end. I honestly did not remember that-not in the notes I jotted down at the time, nor in looking at the hand later.

It is very rare that I show a hand, good or bad. My reason for doing so here was to avoid a loose table image early and make it more likely to have my opponents at least consider respecting my future bets.
Bad idea?

Old
Fri Apr 29, 2011, 01:30 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
that early, I really wouldn't do it. Too many of them will be gone soon. You really want that a few levels in, when you will have players left that actually would respect it.

Old
Fri Apr 29, 2011, 01:45 PM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
I agree that raising pre pre is fine with AA, because people will still give you value in these with all kinds of garbage. idk if we need to be going 12.5x, but 4 or 5x instead of 3 (if 3 is your standard) is certainly fine. My standard open is 2.5x typically so 5x is double my normal for me.

I like the post flop play, plenty worse can and will call you in this format so maximize value. If they flopped a set or 2 pair, so be it. Can't rule those out as they might "slow play" on the flop, but if we can get value from more worse hands then the post flop line is fine, and usually in a 10fpp tourney we can.

Old
Fri Apr 29, 2011, 02:09 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
that early, I really wouldn't do it. Too many of them will be gone soon. You really want that a few levels in, when you will have players left that actually would respect it.

When I thought about it further, you are exactly right. These guys were gone soon and with quick eliminations early as well as being shooed around to new tables, I will be waiting til much later in a tourney to show (if at all).

I agree with both of you on the size of the preflop raise-it was too low. I probably would have gotten the same callers regardless. And then my pot-sized bet on the flop would have been bigger and probably made me more chips.

I was uncomfortable being first to act and because it was so early in the tourney. Just one of many leaks I'm working on.

Thanks again for your input.

Last edited by Freckldgator; Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com