Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Any advice for GOYL

Old
Any advice for GOYL - Sat Apr 30, 2011, 07:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
hey guys

am new here (and fairly new to poker) so please bear with me.

been playing on/off online for about 8 months but only really been taking it seriously for the last 3 months or so.. havent really invested any money yet either (about $20 for some small MTTs) as im not really experienced enough yet although i am learning and these forums are a big help

my question, or rather a request, is that i have managed to qualify (god knows how!!) for the GOYL final tomorrow from one of the freerolls, and i was wondering if you had any advice for me.

its by far the biggest tourney ive qualified for and would really like to give it my best shot obviously. i know its going to be hard as im sure there will be a lot of good players there.

i know what hands to keep and through away (i not an all in with 7 2 os kind of bloke lol) but i seem to lose patience when i havent had a hand in ages and when i do i dont hit etc. how do you guys keep motivated through long tourneys if your not hitting anything or getting any hands?

i dont really know how to approach the tourney to give myself the best chance. i normally try to play quite tight at the start and wait for the all in idiots to go out, but have been caught with them at times when ive had AA on the first hand and busted out by someone with 9 10 or something.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and i look forward to being more active here and hopefully seeing you in may's PSO league, whenever that starts up.

thanks in advance

Last edited by PokeGod185; Sat Apr 30, 2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old
Sat Apr 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hello and welcome to the PSO Pokegod185.

Sounds like you got it right, patience and only play top rated hands. There are a lot of very good players and I'm sure thay will chime in shortly.

So good luck in the tourney and we'll see you around the league.

Cheers

1st Mate

Old
Sat Apr 30, 2011, 08:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
I'm in no way qualified to be giving advise other than watch/read as many of the lessons on here as you can in the time you have left. If you've done them do them again.

As for staying on the ball and not drifting off, try playing two tables. I like to have a $0.25 45 or 90 running too. Stops me from hanging on every card in the big tourney and playing cards I should not when frustration sets in. Works for me.

You did good in a big MTT to get the ticket, you can do it again.

Good luck. Stay calm OOOOOMMMMMM

Old
Sat Apr 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
You know your biggest weakness - lack of PATIENCE. It is critical in a long tournament, or at any table. Lose your patience, lose your chips.

Evelyn Ng had an interesting strategy for novice tourney players. It is a bit long for the short time you have but here are a few ideas:
Play super tight - tighter than you do now (requires patience)
Raise or Fold pre-flop - do not call (As a novice, you want as few opponents in the hand as possible after the flop, because the experienced players will outplay you.)
Raise 5x Big Blind (BB) if you are first to bet.
With one caller ahead of you - raise 7x BB.
With two or more callers ahead of you - raise 9x BB.
(See why she says to play only monster hands?)

Good luck tomorrow.

Herk

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 07:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
I'm no expert on these tourneys, I played one final and got knocked out 2nd hand with KK.

Last edited by IroncladMerc; Sun May 01, 2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#6)
thanks for advice. am getting some practice in beforehand lol think im gonna need it

will let you know how i get on. if i win ill buy u all a drink lol

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 09:09 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
I have a similar problem, after longish stints of rubbish hands, once I get a hand, and flop anything I go think "bugger it" and shove, usually getting knocked out as a result of having the under pair or flush draw only. One thing I've started to do when I'm this impatient is putting my hands behind my back and shutting my eyes until it's my turn to act.

Also, I'm also planning to play today's GOYL final, so I'll keep an eye out for you. Best of luck and here's hoping you do well.

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#8)
ty. ill give it my best shot. doesnt really mean much tho. if i get AA on first hand im still calling the all in's lol. they've gotta hold up sooner or later

ill keep an eye out for you too. still dunno how i managed to get in it lol but if i can have some of the same luck maybe ill be ok

does anyone know when the new league is starting?

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 12:30 PM
(#9)
Whooo! Bit last minute, but i just won a ticket inthe freeroll. Full 15,000 starters. Can I be that lucky twice in one day?

I'll post how I'm doing at the breaks.

Might drag out the old GOYL thread.

Who else is in today?

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 12:43 PM
(#10)
thats how i got in it as well but with just over 14000 peeps in it. not bad for a rookie lol. ill just be happy if i can make it to the first break lol. i hate it at the start of most tourneys with the all in folk. if you do have a hand is it worth calling a possibly busting out early or do you fold and hope to get more premium hands???
anyway it starts in like 20 mins so gl all

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 12:55 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Eyes down. See you on the FT guys

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 01:16 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
Post Deleted

Last edited by PlsDntBlffMe; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 01:18 PM
(#13)
Since: Sep 2010
Well there's an unexpected surprise. They have changed the structure from 15 minute levels to 10 minute levels. And extended registration changed from 20 minutes to 30 minutes. They have also changed the blinds structure from the previous two weeks. In other words Stars are trying to make it a shorter tournament. Not pleased.

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 01:28 PM
(#14)
oh well lol. certainly didnt have the luck this time.
had my KK busted by AQ. took me to about 670 chips. then my A 10 got beat by K J when he hit his flush lol

if i could get the hand replayer thing to work id put the last hand in but it keeps coming up with an error message which ive heard other people getting with no fix as of yet.

never mind. will have to try and be lucky to qualify again lol. gl the rest of you who are in it

Last edited by PokeGod185; Sun May 01, 2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 01:36 PM
(#15)
Post Deleted

Last edited by PlsDntBlffMe; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:27 PM..

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 01:46 PM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Good luck to anybody that's still in. My desperate need for sleep turned my K7o/s into a monster. Needless to say it got munched

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:00 PM
(#17)
Since: Feb 2011
1st break update: 2,565 in chips and going not no badly I think. Only thing I can complain about is having my AA beaten by AQh when a guy wen't all in pre flop, hitting 2 hearts on the flop and making the flush on the river. Can't say I'm that bothered, and i didn't suffer for it but it is irritating having a hand like that.

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:01 PM
(#18)
Still in. 1660.

Not much going on.

Unlucky with the KK's. Next week.

Go pleasedont!

Darkman go to sleep!

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:02 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeGod185 View Post
oh well lol. certainly didnt have the luck this time.
had my KK busted by AQ. took me to about 670 chips. then my A 10 got beat by K J when he hit his flush lol

if i could get the hand replayer thing to work id put the last hand in but it keeps coming up with an error message which ive heard other people getting with no fix as of yet.

never mind. will have to try and be lucky to qualify again lol. gl the rest of you who are in it
I'm out too - my first and last hand was ThT against AhJh, and they flopped the nuts

I saw your post and wanted to post some words of encouragement before the tourney, but I was nervous as heck. Had a pickle of a time getting a ticket for this thing this week! So that made today kind of feel like an event, but lately I just haven't seemed to be able to find my groove.

Nice that there's another one of these next week though ... and the week after that, and the next. I think PSO's great practice for these - there were three people at my table for the qualifying rounds that were comfortably in ticket range that risked their stacks and got eliminated. The way PSO's structured with points being so great for making the 'money', most of us have learned not to take too many chances at that stage. I don't think they play PSO, because i was doing the clock countdown thing and kept getting peppered with "zzzzzzzzzzzz" and "plaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!" LOL LOL. Also, a lot of the people from PSO did well last week, hopefully next week will go better

Good luck to everybody still in it!!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun May 01, 2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:03 PM
(#20)
Post Deleted

Last edited by PlsDntBlffMe; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:27 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com