Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

early phase with AJ read

Old
Question
early phase with AJ read - Sat Apr 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
For the past month, I've been playing by the book, following the pokerschool course guidelines- STG, MTT- and have been getting in top three places so I have the fundamentals down. So, this tournament I decided to up my game and focus more on reading hands and figuring out hand ranges. I got myself into this hand:

Everybody folds, a player before me limps in, I'm on the button with AJo, I raise 3bb, SB and BB folds the limper calls, flop comes 5hTh7c, so standard procedure with that flop- I check, he checks. Turn comes 4c, he checks, so now I'm thinking. He limp/ called on the preflop so the possible hands that he can have- Ax suited, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT. and low pair. He checked on the flop so the possible hands still stand. He checked on the turn too. So now I'm thinking if I was to make a value bet we would probably call, but it would cost too much of my stack about 25%, but at the same time I didn't want to check to the river and let him bet out and take this massive pot. so what If I was to chip it, he probably wouldn't call with second pair, but more of a possibility that he would with Ax suited, so that gives him 9 outs in this hand which therefore he would need 4 to 1 odds. If i was to chip it he would be getting less than 2 to 1, so i decided to chip it which was just a little over the pot. Do you think I made the right decision or checked to the turn and let this one go? I'll post the results of the hand after your comments.

thank you

PokerStars Game #61524496013: Tournament #390366015, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2011/04/30 18:16:10 PT [2011/04/30 21:16:10 ET]
Table '390366015 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: cebolla1982 (1170 in chips)
Seat 2: Skilledik (1375 in chips)
Seat 3: PinhoBr416 (2315 in chips)
Seat 4: KVAKY (1795 in chips)
Seat 5: sabasabas (2750 in chips)
Seat 6: andrei17731 (1595 in chips)
Seat 7: kaiser sossé (2500 in chips)
kaiser sossé: posts small blind 50
cebolla1982: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to andrei17731 [Ad Js]
Skilledik: folds
PinhoBr416: folds
KVAKY: folds
sabasabas: calls 100
andrei17731: raises 200 to 300
kaiser sossé: folds
cebolla1982: folds
sabasabas: calls 200
*** FLOP *** [5h Th 7c]
sabasabas: checks
andrei17731: checks
*** TURN *** [5h Th 7c] [4c]
sabasabas: checks
andrei17731: bets 1295 and is all-in
sabasabas: calls 1295
*** RIVER *** [5h Th 7c 4c] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***

Last edited by andrei17731; Sun May 01, 2011 at 04:51 AM..

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 12:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have put them on about the same cards that you did, but you can rule out all the pairs that missed the flop. They also could have a non-suited broadway draw.

With them calling your all-in, they're probably going to have A10 or A with higher kicker or a flush draw..... although it's still early, so you never know what someone may stay with and hit 2 pair (reads here would help alot).

If it was me, I'd have checked the turn and saw the last for free, if they let me.

If you had any reads on the opp, it really would have helped. The reads I had on that player would determine if I tried to see the river for free or to push to get them off a big A.

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:11 AM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
You have 16 bb's to start the hand, why are you raising 3x? If the guy is loose and limps a lot of weak garbage, just shove when you're this short. You're leaking chips too often when your stack is this short and you're making "standard" raises rather than shoving. Sometimes it might be appropriate, but every hand you post with a similar stack it's the same thing. It makes your hand much harder to play post flop in a spot where you simply can't afford to leak off 3-5 bb's because you don't have any extra bullets to spare.

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 02:18 AM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
As played, I don't like the turn shove. Is this bet for value or as a bluff? Certainly not for value as no worse hands will call. It's dubious as a bluff as were not sure what better hands will fold this ragged board after you've checked the flop. I think we should check the turn, and take a free showdown if he checks the river (AJ has good showdown value in this spot). If he bets we'll have to make a decision, we can beat bluffs so it'll be a matter of our read on the villain and how often we think he would bluff the river (and of course we can improve our hand on the river as well).

Old
Question
Sun May 01, 2011, 04:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Don't you generally shove with 12bb and under, not 16bb and under?

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei17731 View Post
Don't you generally shove with 12bb and under, not 16bb and under?
No, raise/folding on a 16 bb stack is generally a spew, so opening for a standard amount isn't very attractive (normally, it might be in special circumstances). So if others have entered the pot especially, I'm generally just going to shove this spot. Your stack size is actually a good resteal stack, so I'm looking for spots where I think others may be opening light so I can 3b jam them, or 3b for value with strong hands vs. anyone. But AJ and a weak limper is good enough in this position imo.

Old
Sun May 01, 2011, 11:51 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
What Dave said.

You might be able to get thin value with a small bet on the turn, from a passive flush draw. But with a hand with as much showdown value as AJ (AK and AQ are the only no-pair hands that beat you) I'd prefer to get through [and preferably win] the hand by putting in no more chips than necessary. Because of your stack size a continuation bet on the flop and even a delayed one on the turn are too dangerous. Just try to check it down and hope for the best.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com