Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Fold equity

Old
Question
Fold equity - Mon May 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
(#1)
andrei17731's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 160
So I learned about fold equity, and there's a couple of questions that arise.

I think the root of my questions is would you be able to use fold equity in shoving preflop? I don't see why you would not be able to apply it here. In the text I was reading, it entails that you decide what % your opponent will fold. But then a couple more questions arise, using poker stove, say a person's hand range is AT+ and any pair, when he shoves or calls a shove. That's only 10% of all the hands, so he would fold the other 90% of hands. But then there's a spew if we apply this to the formula that calculates our total equity.

fold equity= (% opponent will fold) * (opponent equity)

Our total equity= ( our equity) + (fold equity)

For example, we have 87 that would put us at a 2 to 1 underdog or 66% to 33%. Now applying this, our fold equity= (0.9)*(.66)= 60%. and now our TOTAL EQUITY= (.33) + (.6)= 93%. Don't you think that's too high? or since usually people use this after the preflop for semi- bluffs, using it preflop would be a little different, we don't have to guess the percentage of times he'll fold, poker stove tells us that, based on his hand range, which gives us a more precise fold equity?

Last edited by andrei17731; Tue May 03, 2011 at 04:03 AM..
 
Old
Default
Mon May 02, 2011, 09:05 PM
(#2)
TrumpinJoe's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,557
Fold equity depends on the situation. Say an MP player with 24/15 stats open limps. Since they didn't raise they are on the lower part of their range of which they may fold ~75% of to a shove. Now if that same player makes a opening raise they are playing stronger and may only fold 30-40% depending on the situation.

If you are talking about an open shove you have to consider the fold equity of each player yet to act. Lets say you shove UTG and expect calls only with a top 5% range. Since you must fade 8 players your actual fold equity is 0.95^8 or 66%.

HTH
 
Old
Question
Calculating fold equity - Tue May 03, 2011, 04:07 AM
(#3)
andrei17731's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 160
I don't understand how you got 66%, can you provide detailed calculations?
 
Old
Default
Tue May 03, 2011, 07:57 AM
(#4)
TrumpinJoe's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,557
0.95 ^8 = 0.95 * 0.95 *0.95 * 0.95 * 0.95 * 0.95 * 0.95 * 0.95 = 66%
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com