Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

Online Newbie with Idiot Questions

Old
Online Newbie with Idiot Questions - Tue May 03, 2011, 07:15 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
WhiteStar
First, it's nice to see how helpful everyone is.
Second, all the newbie threads are still too knowledgable for me.

I've played poker and worked in the poker industry for decades, but this is my first time online. There are so many things I don't understand:

Right now, only non-cash games are availabe to me in the US. Is there a way to keep track of what I "win/lose" in them or does one start with a fresh buy-in every session?

What are sit-and-go games?

Since I'm not playing real money, how do the tournaments work?

What are all these initials I see (vpp & fpp or something)?

Is there some quiz I'm supposed to take? Where do I find it?

Are there actually ways for me to earn real money even though I'm not investing anything?

Please know that while I'm pretty up on poker, I'm not the most savvy internet person, so feel free to dumb down all responses.

Thanks!
Sauly

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulRothman View Post

I've played poker and worked in the poker industry for decades, but this is my first time online. There are so many things I don't understand:

Right now, only non-cash games are availabe to me in the US. Is there a way to keep track of what I "win/lose" in them or does one start with a fresh buy-in every session?

WHAT EVER PLAY MONEY YOU HAVE LEFT WHEN YOU ARE DONE WILL CARRY OVER TO YOUR NEXT TIME

SMALL TOURNYS

SAME JUST THE BUY IN A PAY OUT ARE IN PLAY MONEY

THEY ONLY DEAL WITH REAL MONEY SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM

THERE ARE QUIZ'S IN THE POKER SCHOOL LOBBY

Are there actually ways for me to earn real money even though I'm not investing anything?

NO AS A U.S. PLAYER YOU CAN NOT EARN ANYTHING OF VALUE

Please know that while I'm pretty up on poker, I'm not the most savvy internet person, so feel free to dumb down all responses.

Thanks!
Sauly
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE ANSWERS CAME OUT COLORED

Last edited by hemetdennis; Tue May 03, 2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
Nice to see you being helpful Dennis

This is what PSO should be about.

Just a few observations:

SitnGos are not necessarily small tournaments: they are tournaments that begin when the required number of people have joined the tournament be that 9, 18, 145, 300 or whatever.

You cannot play tournaments that offer a cash prize or access to a cash prize, you can play on Homegame tournaments for play money.

VPPS and FPPs are not applicable to you as you cannot play for cash but here is an explanation:

http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/earn/

Quizzes good for your knowledge base but as Dennis says as a US player you are not able to earn money or anything of value.

Lets hope the restrictions that stop US players from playing on PS will be removed soon.

TC

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
THEY USED TO HAVE PLAY MONEY TOURNYS BUT I CANT FIND THEM NOW

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:22 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post

Maybe it was 11 years ago

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:

Somewhere in the lobby (don't have it up, so can't tell ya) there's a box to check to let play money tables be shown. I think it's under options at the top of the lobby.

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 08:45 PM
(#7)
Stand corrected:P

Google is your friend:

http://www.pokerstars.net/poker/tournaments/free/

However this is not available on Pokerstars.com as far as I can ascertain.

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 09:20 PM
(#8)
WhiteStar
Thanks, everyone!

I knew I'd get helpful replies.

Where do I go to see how much play money I have?

Sauly

ETA: Are there any estimations on when/if real money play may become available in the US? Did it just stop last month?

Last edited by SaulRothman; Tue May 03, 2011 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Another question

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 11:19 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Thanks, everyone!

I knew I'd get helpful replies.

Where do I go to see how much play money I have?

Sauly

ETA: Are there any estimations on when/if real money play may become available in the US? Did it just stop last month?

GO TO THE CASHIER AND IT WILL TELL YOU

GOOD LUCK

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 07:17 AM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Yes it did, on a few sites at least. Nothing reliable in the way of estimates.

I think this thread's title would make for a funny t-shirt slogan.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 12:01 PM
(#11)
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I think this thread's title would make for a funny t-shirt slogan.

Is there a way to get email notifications of responses to posts?

Sauly

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 12:08 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:

Sauly
AT THE TOP CLICK THE GO TO AND THEN SETTINGS
YOU SHOULD FIND IT THERE

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 06:41 PM
(#13)
WhiteStar
Thanks, Dennis, for all your prompt replies. I was able to change my settings.

However, I was not able to find the Cashier. As I originally mentioned, I often need super dumb-downed directions.

Also, when I went to log on today, I couldn't get to a page that would let me do so. I ended up having to download again, but my account was intact after doing so. Is that gonna happen often? While I was able to save the download page to my favorites, I don't see a way to save the poker room to my favorites.

Lastly, I'm POed that I didn't try this while there was real-money play in the US. Am I at least able to watch others play for real money to get a feel for it? I can't believe that that real money players are playing the same way that the play-money players are playing. However, if they are, I'm a-moving to Mexico! Whoo Hoo!

Again, you've been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Sauly

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 07:51 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
Cashier box,or tab if you prefer is highlighted in red in the bottom right of the screen in your main lobby page. It will keep a running tab on both your play money and real cash (not-applicable to us Yanks right now,hopefully someday soon it will be again ).

The easiest way to find play money tournaments is just to hit the freeroll tab on the tournaments screen. Play money tournies are highlighted in gold. Play money SNG's have their own tab of course.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 10:08 PM
(#15)
Quote:

Thanks!
Sauly
Along with the help Dennis provided..should you lose all your play chips..you can reload. I'm not sure of the amount..but something like 3 times an hour..sorry it's been a while.
Quote:
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN
AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE ANSWERS CAME OUT COLORED
Because you wrote inside of his colored quote.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
Somewhere in the lobby (don't have it up, so can't tell ya) there's a box to check to let play money tables be shown. I think it's under options at the top of the lobby.
You guys probably have your filter set not to show play money tourneys..make sure you have play money checked in the tourney filter at the bottom left of the main pokerstars lobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Yes it did, on a few sites.................
......I think this thread's title would make for a funny t-shirt slogan.

Quote:

Sauly
Quote:
AT THE TOP CLICK THE GO TO AND THEN SETTINGS
YOU SHOULD FIND IT THERE

Dennis is correct..once in settings, scroll down just a little..to messaging & notification..under Default Thread Subscription Mode, change the drop menu tab on the right there to which email notification frequency you'd like.
Quote:
Thanks, Dennis, for all your prompt replies. I was able to change my settings.

However, I was not able to find the Cashier. As I originally mentioned, I often need super dumb-downed directions.

Also, when I went to log on today, I couldn't get to a page that would let me do so. I ended up having to download again, but my account was intact after doing so. Is that gonna happen often? While I was able to save the download page to my favorites, I don't see a way to save the poker room to my favorites.

Lastly, I'm POed that I didn't try this while there was real-money play in the US. Am I at least able to watch others play for real money to get a feel for it? I can't believe that that real money players are playing the same way that the play-money players are playing. However, if they are, I'm a-moving to Mexico! Whoo Hoo!

Again, you've been so helpful and I really appreciate it.

Sauly
Like Mox said, the big red box in the main ps lobby is the cashier...now when you go there..it is giving US players a prompt to cash out..just hit cancel..and there you'll see your play chips available.
Not sure what you're logging into with trouble..pso or Pokerstars?

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 10:46 PM
(#16)
Since: Sep 2010
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but if you're using the .net client, there is no cashier. It took me a month to figure out why I couldn't play for real money.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Thu May 05, 2011 at 01:33 AM..

Old
Thu May 05, 2011, 01:08 AM
(#17)
I was the same, I finally sent an email to support to find out where my $1.02 was hiding. Once they told me how to access the money, I was in business. It is possible to build a bankroll from nothing, I'm over $200 and counting.

Good luck!!

Old
Fri May 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
(#18)
Since: Apr 2011
the play money tourneys are under the tourney tab lol. if you click on the tourney tab and then freeroll you should see them listed there in yellow but as !!!111dan has said if you cant see them, in the filters (bottom left) there is a check box under 'buy in' that says play money. make sure you have this ticked to see them

Last edited by PokeGod185; Fri May 06, 2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old
Fri May 06, 2011, 12:31 PM
(#19)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post

It's the TOURNEY FILTER at the bottom

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com