Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

4 aces

Old
4 aces - Tue May 03, 2011, 08:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
i did not even consider 4 of a kind,may i ask ,after this loss i was so pissed i lost my concetration then lost the rest of my stack,after getting such a good hand how do you stop the frustration and bounce back ,or is this my downfall ,not laughing it off ,i still had some chips left but did not get back into the game the way i was,i also lost another match i was in i know i am better playing one at a time and will fix that in the future.

PokerStars Game #61650742697: Tournament #387020723, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2011/05/03 20:10:10 ET
> Table '387020723 13' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
> Seat 1: B0bbyTheFish (1460 in chips)
> Seat 2: Marrty23 (3040 in chips)
> Seat 3: H0Tchips (1130 in chips)
> Seat 4: jamakon (1420 in chips)
> Seat 5: danny141186 (2430 in chips)
> Seat 6: PLaws62 (3090 in chips)
> Seat 7: toddyjnr (1430 in chips)
> Seat 8: Hiervaman (1020 in chips)
> Seat 9: bacolodfish (1480 in chips) is sitting out
> bacolodfish: posts small blind 15
> B0bbyTheFish: posts big blind 30
> *** HOLE CARDS ***
> Dealt to PLaws62 [7c 7s]
> Marrty23: folds
> H0Tchips: folds
> jamakon: raises 90 to 120
> danny141186 said, "i live in leeds"
> danny141186: calls 120
> PLaws62 said, "stopped looking after 6 straight losse"
> PLaws62: calls 120
> toddyjnr: folds
> Hiervaman: folds
> bacolodfish: folds
> B0bbyTheFish: folds
> *** FLOP *** [Ah Ac 7d]
> jamakon: checks
> danny141186: bets 90
> PLaws62: raises 90 to 180
> jamakon: raises 300 to 480
> danny141186: folds
> PLaws62 said, "i lived in potefract for a year in 2007"
> PLaws62: raises 300 to 780
> jamakon: raises 520 to 1300 and is all-in
> PLaws62: calls 520
> *** TURN *** [Ah Ac 7d] [Td]
> *** RIVER *** [Ah Ac 7d Td] [Ad]
> *** SHOW DOWN ***
> jamakon: shows [As Ks] (four of a kind, Aces)
> PLaws62: shows [7c 7s] (a full house, Aces full of Sevens)
> jamakon collected 3095 from pot
> jamakon said, "wow"
> *** SUMMARY ***
> Total pot 3095 | Rake 0
> Board [Ah Ac 7d Td Ad]
> Seat 1: B0bbyTheFish (big blind) folded before Flop
> Seat 2: Marrty23 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 3: H0Tchips folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 4: jamakon showed [As Ks] and won (3095) with four of a kind, Aces
> Seat 5: danny141186 folded on the Flop
> Seat 6: PLaws62 showed [7c 7s] and lost with a full house, Aces full of Sevens
> Seat 7: toddyjnr folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 8: Hiervaman (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
> Seat 9: bacolodfish (small blind) folded before Flo

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 10:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Know that any time you flop a boat with a pp in your hand, you will NOT hold the nut hand.

Know that any time you flop a boat, the most likely "action" you will get is from someone with the trips; this is GOOD for you. BUT...If the potential trips are larger than your set (AA7 you = 77, or JJ3 you = 33 for example), the opponent who likely has trips is RARELY "drawing dead".

Know that any time you flop the nut, or near nut hand, you need to be aware of board texture considerations to be phlegmatic about your near nut hand morphing into the 5th or 6th nut hand by the river.

In short, the "key" to avoid letting these types of occurences cause you to steam is to know that "poker happens". Then spend more time worrying about working on things you CAN control, and less on what you cannot.

A little Story:

Back in Feb, I drove a friend up to a training class in Chicago for her new job.
When I returned to pick her up at about 230pm, she told me her boy friend got off at 4pm and needed to be picked up. Fine, no worries.

Well as we left the city, it started to snow. The snow got so bad that traffic was totally snarled, and no one was getting anywhere fast.

At 330pm, her BF called to ask us where we were, and how log it would take us to get him. We told him we'd be lucky to get to him by 430pm, as we had not even moved 3 miles in the hour since we'd left. I assured him I knew the city well, and would try to find as fast a route as possible, but the chances looked bleak.

Well, I tried every "trick" I knew to manuever thru the back streets, but no matter what we tried, we hit a back up. He called us back at 430pm, and started yelling aobut where we were when we told him we were still on the South Side of Chicago, 25 or so miles away from him.

I had done EVERYTHING I knew how to do in order to speed us out of the traffic, all to no avail; when it snows, ittends to snow all over the place! So I took the phone form my friend, and calmly told her boy friend:

"Have you looked outside Daniel? It has snowed about 8 inches since we left her work 2 hours ago. Under the BEST of conditions, it was going to take us aobut 1.5 hrs to get to you, and here we hve been driving for 3 hrs. What do you expect me to do?"

"I cannot make the snow stop and these thousands of cars move out of my way."

"I cannot morph this car into a heli-copter, and fly over the traffic."

"I've tried EVERY conceivable route I could to get out of this mess, but they are all screwed up and slow. Sure, it sucks you are going to have to sit at work a couple of extra hours, but sitting there yelling your head off is not going to get us there any faster, and is just going to get you pissed off, Michelle pissed off, and me pissed off. why not just accept the conditions for what they are, and know we are moving as fast as we can."

He did realize it, and stopped yelling...

So sometimes things SUCK, and there ain;t a thing you can do aobut them. In poker that happens a LOT.

All you can do in those cases is try to NOT make a bad situation worse, by actively ADDING to your dis-pleasure with rage over things you cannot control.

See?

Last edited by JDean; Tue May 03, 2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 10:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
First thing to learn from it... it put you on tilt. Learn not to have it happen again.

Having an A is the only thing that should be raising your bet on the flop. If they have A7, then you're drawing dead. If they have Ax, then they have 4 outs to beat you (16% they win).

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 11:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Great post JD

Usual high standard JWK.

I would add: way too early in tournament to be getting this committed.

TC

Old
Tue May 03, 2011, 11:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I would add: way too early in tournament to be getting this committed.

TC
No it's not... it's never too early to get committed with a monster. You flopped a full house vs. a probable strong 2nd best hand. You're a 77-23 favorite on the flop, I am ecstatic to get this all in with my opponent. If they get there, they get there.

top, if your opponent raised pre, you 3-bet them with AA, and they 4b shipped and showed you KK, would you get it all in with your aces? You're not much worse off with 77 on an AA7 flop.

If you're passing up large edges like this just because it's early, you're not playing good tournament poker. Hand 1 isn't too early for this large an edge.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 12:06 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
I would have folded the 7s preflop; that was my reasoning or simply what I have read here on PS.

If I was in at the flop off course I am shipping my full house, but i would not have seen the flop cos I am super tight early....

TC

Probably a giant leak though

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 03:01 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I think early on is the BEST time to get involved with speculative hands if ever. Blinds are low, so implied odds have a high ceiling. And the fish are still in, so the implied odds are high and you have a good chance of getting a set paid off by a pair. Just make sure you don't become a fish yourself. Play these hands in position with good implied odds so you can know if you'll get paid / be able to take the pot away / be able to control the size of the pot when you just might be ahead. What matters is your ability to play it postflop, and position is huge.

As for this hand...the usual, you got it in as a huge favorite against his range and his actual hand. Sometimes the cards don't fall our way. That's poker.

Wanna see a fun hand....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9spVd1v5FYg

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com