Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

AQs

Old
AQs - Wed May 04, 2011, 06:30 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
It was in middle state of in the pso tournament.
The opponent was new on the table so I did not know a lot about him

PokerStars Game #61650125600: Tournament #387020692, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (600/1200) - 2011/05/04 1:49:39 CET [2011/05/03 19:49:39 ET]
Table '387020692 26' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: doc. hamster (19780 in chips)
Seat 2: shell2309 (7020 in chips)
Seat 3: Hllywoodrose (28824 in chips)
Seat 4: jayreed (3906 in chips)
Seat 5: davejoyjim (8531 in chips)
Seat 6: dovirg (11434 in chips)
Seat 7: WEAVER338 (3760 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: dott 63 (6685 in chips)
Seat 9: MisterCe (17975 in chips)
doc. hamster: posts the ante 125
shell2309: posts the ante 125
Hllywoodrose: posts the ante 125
jayreed: posts the ante 125
davejoyjim: posts the ante 125
dovirg: posts the ante 125
WEAVER338: posts the ante 125
dott 63: posts the ante 125
MisterCe: posts the ante 125
davejoyjim: posts small blind 600
dovirg: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to doc. hamster [As Qs]
WEAVER338: folds
dott 63: folds
MisterCe: folds
doc. hamster: raises 2400 to 3600
shell2309: folds
Hllywoodrose: folds
jayreed: folds
davejoyjim: folds
dovirg: calls 2400
*** FLOP *** [3c Ac 4s]
dovirg: bets 7709 and is all-in
doc. hamster: calls 7709
*** TURN *** [3c Ac 4s] [2h]
*** RIVER *** [3c Ac 4s 2h] [Jc]
*** SHOW DOWN ***

Last edited by doc. hamster; Wed May 04, 2011 at 06:35 AM..

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 06:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm not totally sure what in particular you want to know about this hand. How do you make sense of your play? It helps to know what you were thinking as well.

As I see things though, you played this pretty well, although I would have just gone all-in preflop to eliminate the chance of getting called, not flopping anything, and then having this happen.

When people bet into you like the villain in this hand did, it's usually not with the stone cold nuts. Most people who flop pretty good here are smart enough to slowplay their hand at least a little bit by checking to you, then letting you bet, then calling or raising all-in. That's because you might actually fold here if you didn't catch the ace, and they'd lose a lot of value. So in short, I think that your opponent was weaker than top pair. They might have had an ace, but more likely they just had some sort of draw or a weaker one pair hand. They might have completely missed and just realized their mistake in only calling preflop, then decided to go all-in in hopes of getting you to fold. It's hard to say without reads what your opponent was probably thinking, but I think you made a good call.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 10:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
since you didn't have any reads, the only things you should be worried about are AK or a low pair.
I"ve actually got a note on the opp, that they play any suited cards, anytime. With that additional info that you didn't have, I'd be worried about the two clubs on the board.

Were you ITM? If so, then I agree with a call if I didn't put them on a set or AK (although I might have pushed it preflop). If not ITM, then I'd be folding it to be sure to get ITM, especially with my note and the clubs.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
since you didn't have any reads, the only things you should be worried about are AK or a low pair.
I"ve actually got a note on the opp, that they play any suited cards, anytime. With that additional info that you didn't have, I'd be worried about the two clubs on the board.

Were you ITM? If so, then I agree with a call if I didn't put them on a set or AK (although I might have pushed it preflop). If not ITM, then I'd be folding it to be sure to get ITM, especially with my note and the clubs.
Just because they play any two suited doesn't mean they always have the right suit! Not only that, but the flush draw is only about 35% to come in. This should be the least of your worries.

The only hands that are ahead of you: 25, AA, 44, 33, A4, A3, 43, AK. Also 56c, and 45c, and 46c have a ton of equity against you. Other than that you're ahead. This is a pretty easy call, and even if he has 2 pair, you have outs since his second pair is so low.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com