Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Flat Calling

Old
Flat Calling - Wed May 04, 2011, 10:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi all,

This is just a question on this much maligned practice. I rarely flat call preflop now, it is usually raise or fold.

I was just wondering are there specific times and places where flat calling is appropriate and if it could add another weapon to your poker arsenal?

Thanks,

TC

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
if you have a marginal hand, you can use this especially early in a tourney if there are alot of people in a pot and you don't have reads on them.... preferred by me in late position. It'll minimize your lost chips if you miss the flop... with a huge return if you hit it, as it helps to also hide the possible strength of your hand.

It's also a good way to setmine with multiple people already in a hand with a mid/low pair.

It's also something you can do every so often, instead of always raising or folding, to change things up and throw off an opp's read on you.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:10 AM
(#3)
Astro705
(Odelay)
- with a premium hand against a loose aggressive player who will most likely C-bet on the flop.
- in the blinds with a premium hand QQ KK AA, again against an opponent who is likely to C-bet.
- with a speculative hand in position and a multi way pot, and the cost of the call is a small percentage of your stack.

Old
... - Wed May 04, 2011, 11:11 AM
(#4)
Astro705
(Odelay)
- with a premium hand against a loose aggressive player who will most likely C-bet on the flop.
- in the blinds with a premium hand QQ KK AA, again against an opponent who is likely to C-bet.
- with a speculative hand in position and a multi way pot, and the cost of the call is a small percentage of your stack.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:18 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Yeah, speculation etc, what these guys said.

A decent rule of thumb is to look for reasons to fold first. If folding doesn't look attractive (maybe due to hand strength, maybe the situation, maybe some of both...), then look for reasons to raise next. If neither folding nor raising seem particularly good, then consider calling.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:18 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
I feel the last point to be very relevant because people can get a good read on you if all you ever do is raise or fold.

I am a bit wary of set mining myself and feel more comfortable with a fold/raise in this scenario but I get the impression that this is maybe the wrong approach on my part and an area I need to exploit a bit more

Thanks for the insight and advice JWK,

TC

Opps posting when i should have been reading but thanks for the feedback guys.

TC

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 12:32 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You can also flat-call in position to keep the pot small, especially if you don't expect the blinds to call. Then outplay in a small pot post flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com