Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

QK two pair vs 2 people

Old
QK two pair vs 2 people - Wed May 04, 2011, 10:50 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
I was playing PSO and hit my two pair op the flop
Did I play this good?

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
First off I don't like the flat call UTG.

Did you have any reads on your opponents? If not I would have folded my KQ to the 4X raise as well.

The flop puts you in real danger and in very difficult decision making position, with a raise and a call after your check i suspect the villians were holding pocket Js and Aces respectively.

Maybe you won the hand but even if you did I think you played it badly with your position and holding. I would have folded right away.

TC

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:14 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Limping UTG is not good, and calling a raise out of position with KQ on 28bb effective is also not good. Honestly at a full table UTG this is probably just an open fold pre.

I would have led right out on this flop, the board is very coordinated and draw heavy, not a good spot to go for a check-raise and your hand strength doesn't really warrant it.... as far as top 2 pair goes this is about as weak as you can get.

I'm sure he lost the hand top, if he wasn't beat already the ace on the turn beat him.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Personally, that's a hand that I'm going to be alot more cautious with than most, especially early in a tourney.

First, you limped from UTG... not a great idea. If you're going to play it from UTG, you should be raising to open. UTG+1 called your limp, which means they've probably got a speculative hand. The raise to 4BB since earlier in the tourney would get me to muck it because you're behind in the hand and not mucking it is where a big problem can start, especially here.

Yes, you hit top 2 pair.... BUT.... with K Q 10 on the board, you could also very easily be beat. Anyone in the hand could easily have an A or a J or AJ(the current nuts). There also are two diamonds, so a diamond flush draw could be out there (would expect that possibly from UTG+1 that wanted to limp first, as suited cards would fit that play, especially when they push the flop).

I could have easily have called the all-in from UTG+1, but I would not be pushing the original raiser to 4BB preflop, until I knew there wasn't an easy straight or flush out there..... and that's exactly what happens on the turn with the A. Now, you're beat by any J.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
I see your point.
Your totally right about this one.

I lost this hand by someone having 10 10

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com