Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Pocket AA on BU

Old
Pocket AA on BU - Wed May 04, 2011, 02:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi,

Wondering, was I right to check the flop with my set. After the pre-flop limp, raise, re-raise, I put the limper that called on a poket pair (hopefully made a set also) or 2 hi cards AK AQ KQ. When he min bet the turn I definitely had him on a set or 2 pairs. (Hope I got the hand replayer thingy right, lol)

Thanks for any feedback

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 03:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
With the stack size that you had to begin with, shoving all-in preflop would have made a lot of sense. With the amount you have behind on the flop, slowplaying just doesn't make sense, since you should never be folding after having put as much as you have into the pot. Any opponent who knows basic strategy will probably put you on a strong hand here, because you 3bet preflop then just checked the ace on the flop. If you had missed, you probably would have bet the ace to scare them off weaker hands, so checking basically turns as least one of your aces face-up. Disguise the strength of your hand by shoving on the flop, if not preflop. You'll make a lot of chips that way.

Also, one reason that you'd want to bet the flop would be to make sure that QJ, QT, JT, and any club/club hands will not get a free shot at drawing out on you. If you're ever going to get money out of your opponent here, it's usually going to be because they actually have a better hand then you, or at least a good draw. If they have the draw, they'll have it on the flop, so if the money's going in, it's probably best to get it in on the flop when you're ahead.

I would just have pushed preflop, though.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Wed May 04, 2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 03:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Well, the only thing you lose to is JT...and I don't know what the hell he's doing with that.

Honestly I would just bet the flop. His hand should be pretty strong based on the preflop action. A check is okay too if he'll bluff the turn.

On the turn I don't like the tiny raise. Just push. Or call if you think he might bluff the river. The small raise isn't likely to net more value than the push. Again, if he has JT, you just got unlucky against a very bad play.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 03:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2011
Thanks Panicky, I take your point on a pf all-in, but I was trying not to chase everyone away. Wish I had now though

oriholic, you read it exactly like me, but the donk had stayed after the 3-raise and my re-raise with JTo

Oh well, takes all sorts to make a farmyard.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 03:54 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Also, one reason that you'd want to bet the flop would be to make sure that QJ, QT, JT, and any club/club hands will not get a free shot at drawing out on you. If you're ever going to get money out of your opponent here, it's usually going to be because they actually have a better hand then you, or at least a good draw. If they have the draw, they'll have it on the flop, so if the money's going in, it's probably best to get it in on the flop when you're ahead.
On the flop he has the nuts--can't get called by better.

Old
Wed May 04, 2011, 04:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
On the flop he has the nuts--can't get called by better.
Yay for three aces. That does sort of make this hand awkward, because there is a case for checking the flop. I just think that it's really really weird. It might serve to confuse an opponent, so it's not such a bad idea, but once again, you avoid the confusing spot when you ship <20BB preflop instead of comitting a weird amount preflop and then not really knowing how to play the nuts.

I'm guessing that the villain drew out. That sucks, but you didn't fold at any point, and I really don't think you should have. Like Ori said, there's nothing that beats you on the flop, and all of one hand that beats you on the turn. So you didn't play the hand in a way that will lose you money in the long run, I think.

To address the point about not wanting to chase people away, you'll often find that anyone willing to call for one-third of your stack would go all the way and just call an all-in shove if you did that instead. Also, shoving all-in sometimes looks weak, like you don't want to give anyone the opportunity to reraise you and you want to shut down the action now. Those points might or might not apply here, but they're things to think about.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Wed May 04, 2011 at 04:18 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com