Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

AQ allin

Old
AQ allin - Thu May 05, 2011, 09:06 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
hey, I recently got my AQ.
The reason I just called preflop was because Karlu6ka raised allmost everything but when you raised him he folded. so I wanted him to raise the pot.

So I have my AQ and hit m Q on the flop. fanboy was a tight agressive player who liked to bluff but not to much. Was it right to go allin?

Thank you for your thoughts

Old
Thu May 05, 2011, 12:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
On the flop, the only hands you have to be worried about are AA, KK, 9 10, JJ, 88 or two pair. Against a random hand, you are an 81% winner. If your read on the opponent is correct, that they liked to bluff, I'd take my chances being ahead 81% to 19%.

I'd have been extremely happy seeing the turn, as it moves you up to a 93% favorite (even more if your opponent didn't have two diamonds). It also takes off the hands to be worried about list, 88, JJ or two pair. The only hand you're behind now, is 9 10 (nut straight).

Against someone that I knew likes to bluff, I'd take my chances that they do not have 9 10 every single time.

Old
Thu May 05, 2011, 01:25 PM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
I disagree... villain is seeing the flop with a random hand but he does NOT have a random hand at the point where he check-raises our oversized flop bet. His range is much stronger than some random hand now.

I don't really like the 3b because it's unlikely to be called by worse. The guy is a TAG is he putting in multiple raises with KQ? Not likely. Is he folding better to your 3b? Never. So the 3b is probably not good. Once he 4b's small this is a really easy fold imo, we're never good against this line. Just because he's capable of bluffing doesn't mean he always is. Take a close look at his line and decide if this looks like a bluff line:

Pot - .05c
Villain: check
You: Bet .06
Villain: Raise .06 to .12
You: Raise .10 to .22
Villain Raise: .14 to .36 (at this point he has only .53 behind left to bet)

The min-check-raise in and of itself is a typical strong hand line, then he 4-bets small on top of it? These raises are not designed to get you to fold, they are designed to grow the pot and keep you in. This is far from a bluff line. Your best chance here is that the guy is clueless and actually thinks KQ is good vs. your bet/3B, but I wouldn't bet the rest of my stack on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I'd have been extremely happy seeing the turn, as it moves you up to a 93% favorite (even more if your opponent didn't have two diamonds). It also takes off the hands to be worried about list, 88, JJ or two pair. The only hand you're behind now, is 9 10 (nut straight).
You mis-read the history, he's still behind 88, JJ, QJ, Q8 as well as T9. And personally I think we're going to be shown one of these hands the vast majority of the time here the way this hand played out. On the bright side if the guy was getting cute preflop with AA or KK, we did just pull ahead of those.

PS- Raise this pre, don't limp in UTG and invite someone to raise you, forcing you to play a raised pot out of position without the initiative. At least take the initiative in the hand.

Dave

Old
Thu May 05, 2011, 02:04 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Wow. that was a long but wise story!
thank you guys for sharing your thoughts.
His hand was 8J so I was pretty lucky on the turn.
I should have raised pre flop to get him out of the hand.

gr. Doc. hamster

Old
Thu May 05, 2011, 02:08 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you're right Dave, I missed the Q/board card hands and 88, JJ already had a made boat.

-------------------
Once he 4b's small this is a really easy fold imo, we're never good against this line. Just because he's capable of bluffing doesn't mean he always is.

Good point too, the 4b is probably the determining factor, especially with the check-raise.

---------------
Learn something from every hand you see... and that definitely includes me too!

Old
Thu May 05, 2011, 02:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post

Against someone that I knew likes to bluff, I'd take my chances that they do not have 9 10 every single time.
While making it less likely opponent had a queen, the only 2-pair hand you're ahead of now is J8. The others are now a boat. Same with all the sets. You've passed AA, KK, and J8.

I'm really not thrilled with the flop action. You overbet the pot, got raised, 3-bet, got 4-bet, 5-bet... A tight aggressive player is not going to stack off with worse than top pair top kicker in a cash game. He has AQ crushed, GET OUT.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com