Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Question regarding betting to increase equity/defend when likely ahead.

Old
Question regarding betting to increase equity/defend when likely ahead. - Mon May 09, 2011, 06:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi all,

the following hand from a freeroll which had me ahead after the flop with 1 all-in and another player still with chips and possible draws.

My question is the executed move (raising his remaining stack after the flop) the right way to proceed in this situation? i.e. Putting him on the whole stack or fold decision? Or would it have been better to keep him in the hand with the possible straight and flush draws available?

TBH I hate getting drawn on and was taking steps to protect my top/top. Looking at pokerstove afterwards it showed by eliminating him from the hand I move from ~73% equity to 85% if both players are given Random holdings. (Or should I refine those ranges better?)

Thanks in advance

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 300/600 Blinds 60 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t10460)
UTG+1 (t10160)
MP1 (t10556)
MP2 (t7112)
MP3 (t8355)
Hero (CO) (t11780)
Button (t30750)
SB (t9656)
BB (t3018)

Hero's M: 8.18

Preflop: Hero is CO with ,
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t600, 1 fold, MP2 calls t600, 1 fold, Hero bets t3000, 2 folds, BB calls t2358 (All-In), 1 fold, MP2 calls t2400

Flop: (t10398) , , (3 players, 1 all-in)
MP2 checks, Hero bets t4200, 1 fold

Turn: (t10398) (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t10398) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t10398

Old
Mon May 09, 2011, 12:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I actually like the way you played it on the flop. You've already have in the pot 2X your chips from your opponents (the two callers) plus chips from the two limps, SB and antes... plus yours.

With top pair and top kicker, you don't want others to be drawing at you because, as you stated, your odds go up considerably if only against 1 person. The BB since short-stacked, their range will be considerably larger than the other player that called (which is better for you).

Personally, I'd be putting MP2 on either an A, suited connector, pkt pair or maybe a 1 or 2-gap. I wouldn't look at them playing random cards.

At this point in one of these tournies, your whole goal is to be stacking chips, so if you can eliminate the player that should have the better hand preflop, by pushing with TPTK on the flop, then it's the play that I would be making.

Old
Mon May 09, 2011, 06:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Seems good to me. The pot is pretty big and you have top pair top kicker. You don't want him having a free shot with KQ, KJ, JT, flush draws etc. all of which can burn you with a free card.

And you'll also get called by worse aces if he has one.

Quote:
Looking at pokerstove afterwards it showed by eliminating him from the hand I move from ~73% equity to 85% if both players are given Random holdings. (Or should I refine those ranges better?)
Yeah, who is gonna have a random hand (ie. any two cards) here? Gonna be a lot of pocket pairs, aces, kings, broadways, and probably some suited connectors in the shortstack's range. The bigger stack is likely playing a more discriminating selection, probably without all the weak kings and smaller suited connectors.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com