Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Level of play in PSO since Black Friday

Old
Level of play in PSO since Black Friday - Wed May 11, 2011, 03:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
First of all I really appreciate the PSO Skill League. Great idea and a great place for beginners.
A lot of people play good poker on there.
However, ever since Black Friday, IMHO the level of poker has dropped, I cannot seam to catch a decent table with opponents playing solid poker.
Cannot start to list the pure crazy going around, rivaling the lowliest Freeroll and .20c game.
Even 1-2$ tourneys and SnGs play 2 leagues above.
First hand of tourney Q4 and 96 shoves, cmon.
Worse still those people should have passed the tests and know better than limping and raising any 2, any position, any raise before them, any stacks.
Jamming with bottom pair, a gut shot, Ace high - all the time....
I could go on for at least 2 pages.
Worst of all, how can any beginner improve if the other guy plays any 2 has a VPIP of 90 and is betting/calling anything, with this variation bug going around. Play only the nuts?
My simple suggestion is - please limit roulette players to roulette tables - if you go below 1400 points you obviously have no skill for a skill league. Take a break for the rest of the month.
Plenty of freerolls out there.
What do you guys think?

Old
tough brakes - Wed May 11, 2011, 11:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
i know it may seem tough but i would recomend you read some of the bad beats and watch some of the replays ,and read the replies ,there are a lot of ways to look at the different hands being called,and also the name calling when somone makes a call and then gets remarks of being a donk,and watch how some of the better players handle these situations ,you will take these calls in stride and smile and enjoy the game,we all have these games but i am climbing in the league,its taking a lot of patients and some game plan ,i never had before joining pso,please dont blame the deal ,or the shuffle,its the same for all players ,keep a positive atitude ,there is a blog on that ,i dont loose site this is a fun game with a lot of twists,
good luck at the tables

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 09:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
** Moved **

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
The standard of play in the league has indeed fallen since black friday. In fact it's fallen across the entire site. I said it somewhere else, and it pains me to do so, but the skill level of the "average" American player is higher than for any other nationality.

However.....................

IF you're any good this should be welcomed, as it's now easier to win.

For the zillionth time (which you may not have seen as a new / infrequent poster in the forum) if you cannot beat the donks you won't beat anyone. So adjust your play to take advantage of their antics and laugh all the way to the bank. If you can't, the problem is yours, not theirs.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
(#5)
Why are you playing Q4 ?

even suited this is not a good hand.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
(#6)
I've always found the level of play in pso to be generally poor (as should be expected in any freeroll based league) and personally don't think it has changed one bit. The only real difference I've noticed is the field size, but that's just me

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 12:58 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2011
Thanks for the responses.
I for one try and base my plays on a few things - one of the big ones is putting my opponents on a range.
Heard good players do that.
How do you put the play any 2 guy on a range. I know a lot of time he would have air.
What happens usually with me I tend to think I should overplay top pairs (2nd-3rd kick) in those situations and all pot control goes out of the window, pot committing a lot of hands, loose a few of those and you're done.

Darkman61 and all,
I'm talking about Maniacs, well yeap really big donks.
Do you go AI with a medium strength hand against them?
They are among the toughest opponents for a not so experienced player.
So how do you play them . Your AK misses the dry flop, the guy bets a lot, so you are pot commited if you play -3bet/shove with a weak draw?

BTW - I dont play Q4

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com