Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

A9 all-in in BB position in a PSO tournament

Old
A9 all-in in BB position in a PSO tournament - Wed May 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi,
I've started playing NL about 6 weeks ago, i.e. I am still an absolute beginner, but I want to learn. I have played the following hand in a PSO Skill League tournament and just wanted to know, whether my thinking was okay or not. Here the hand:

And here my thoughts:
- I'm in the big blind, so I check to see the flop. I did not consider A9 to be good enough for a pre-flop raise
- I hit the flop with my 9 and thus have a medium pair with best kicker, but also the 9 is the highest card on the board, thus the only danger I see for the moment is a villain's pocket pair matching one of the cards giving him a set. I don't think anybody has a high pocket pair, because everybody limped. Therefore I call the raise of my pre-bettor, the one after me folds.
- The turn brings a T, which doesn't help me, but could give the villain a straight, except his betting didn't seem to fit that. So now I am thinking he has actually not improved and just c-bets to keep up the pressure. I'll respond with all-in since I was pot commited anyways and there still was a chance to get a second Ace on the board. However, the villain does not fold, but calls.
- The river shows a 4, not doing anything and he has two pairs 88 and TT, which beat my 99.

Where is the mistake in my thinking, or was it played okay and it just turned out bad?

I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Seth Gulch; Wed May 11, 2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey Seth, welcome to the pso and the forum.
Not a terrible play here..I would think the same on the smallish bet on the turn, but I don't have a history of the player. So did you have any read on the player?

The only thing I don't like about our replayer is that it doesn't show the info of the game you're in. I understand it's pso..but how many until the bubble, or are ya' passed it? Where are you in relation to the bubble passing if it hasn't yet...ex., you're 225 of 350 left w/ the bubble at 81?
Without that info, it's a little tougher to make an analysis. But, if you're not InTheMoney...I could see doing a couple things different.
First, may sound uber tight, but if you haven't made the bubble and it's arriving close, I would probably let it go on the flop. Points for ITM are just too valuable. Second, if you realize calling on the flop is going to make you pot committed, and you're relatively sure he didn't have an overpair, then you could just shove on the flop. Doesn't mean he'll fold, but it's a better line to take imo, because he just may.

Just my .02 ...we have many great analyzers here who will be giving their opinion. Mainly just wanted to say welcome and let us know if you have any questions on the league.
Best o' luck!
Dan

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Wed May 11, 2011 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: extra info required

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
WITH THE SIZE OF BLINDS YOU ARE NOT IN THE MONEY
DEPENDING ON HOW THE GUY HAS BEEN PLAYING I THINK IT'S A SHOVE OR FOLD
WITH NO INFO. IT'S A FOLD ALL YOU LOST IS YOUR BLIND

GOOD LUCK

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 04:22 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Personally, I'm shoving pre. Charge those punks for limping your BB with the blinds this high. If you take down the pot you add about 37% to your stack. If you're called you're rarely a huge underdog. (AT+ you're about 25/75, 99-KK you're about 30/70, AA you're dead meat, but against anything else you're a coinflip or better.)

As played either get it in or fold on the flop. Calling is terrible with your stack. And your stack is perfect to ship it. However with two players still to act, including a UTG limper, you may choose to just fold, having lost zero extra chips this hand. You can't call as it commits you for the rest of the hand with no fold equity and you have to win a showdown, whereas if you fold or shove you can still do some damage.

The 10 would only give villain a straight if he has 67, J7, or QJ. That's not really what you need to worry about. People like limping with suited and connected cards. With 8, 9, 10 on the board, there are a lot of very common 2-pair possibilities, as well as pairs with a straight draw. Assuming he wasn't stone-bluffing the flop into 3 players, he probably hit the flop in some way, either with a pair or better or with a straight draw, or a combination. Think of all the hands he might limp in with preflop that have good equity here. (87, 89, T9, J9, J8, JT, etc. as well as possible sets)

I would ship pre. If I checked pre I would ship flop.

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 04:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
they also can be limping with any 2 overcards to the 9... and with low cards on the flop, they might try to be a fish trying to draw a higher card for a pair too.

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
I don't like the call on the flop. This is a insta shove or fold and being a pso tourney I'm leaning
towards fold. Your goal in a pso tourney is to ITM or close to it.
There is a flush draw and a straight draw on the board and you most likely won't scare anyone
away with a shove because players love to chase.
How players out there do you think would be able to fold 10 J or K x of hearts on that board if
you shoved?
Save your chips for a better spot .

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
I don't like the call on the flop. This is a insta shove or fold and being a pso tourney I'm leaning
towards fold. Your goal in a pso tourney is to ITM or close to it.
There is a flush draw and a straight draw on the board and you most likely won't scare anyone
away with a shove because players love to chase.
How players out there do you think would be able to fold 10 J or K x of hearts on that board if
you shoved?
Save your chips for a better spot .
YEP IT'S JUST THE WRONG TIME

Old
Wed May 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I'm with the others, your stack size is perfect to shove pre over the limpers, AND you very likely have the best hand to boot. Preflop I think shove > check.

On the flop, again you are very likely to have the best hand as you reasoned but the board is wet (draw heavy) and there are a lot of overcards that can come, so I think you should shove right there over the flop bet.

Old
Thanks for your comments and feedback - Sat May 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2011
First of all thanks for your comments and the warm welcome.

@!!!111Dan: Good point about the missing info, I'll make sure I add them in future posts. For this particular play I ended up being 200th ot of 566, so as "hemetdennis" already guessed correctly I was not in the money (ITM = 54th)

@TheLangoier: Special Thanks for all the Live Videos, even though I normally cannot participate live, I have watched already some of them and intend to watch the others as well, because they are very helpful.

Looking forward to play many more hands and to get some of them analyzed here in the forum.

Old
reply - Sat May 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
In My Opinion, I think the play should have been done on the flop, where you still had best hand. he has to hit runner runner for a straight on the flop, on the turn, there was a possibilty of the straight on the turn, and unfortunately for you, it's where he made 2 pair, and you went all in. There's times when you're going to get outhit as each card comes down. Bet big when you hit big, after that, be weary, check all the cards on board, every street, making sure of no straight possibilities, or flush possibilities. There's donks out there, don't let em catch...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com