Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

super turbo

Old
super turbo - Thu May 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
ok so all i had been getting was total trash, i had just been moved to the table about 5 hands before so i have no reads on any of the players, i know i am in early position and not too great of a hand with so many to act, but i figure with it being a super turbo these hands don't come round that often, did i play it right or should i of raised/shoved on the flop? or just let it go?

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Look what called you. There's your answer.

Yes, snap shove pre.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You played it correctly. Shove preflop. You had the best hand and got unlucky.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
+1 snap shove.

Don't be results oriented either, it's a common trap players fall into. If you and won this hand, would you still be asking if shoving was correct?

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
If you and won this hand, would you still be asking if shoving was correct?
yes for the simple reason i am still unsure as to how to play AJ, AQ, AK from early positions, these are all classed as premiuim hands when you are entering the pot 1st with them however i am finding through reading and hands i have posted that these are only premium hands if you have position.

i am also getting confused with the KQ, KJ, QJ range again should these be opened in position, when can should you be calling raises with all the above hands, should you be 3 betting them?

i thought i was doing ok with it all then started asking advice and hand analysis etc and it seems to of improved parts of my game yet thrown other parts into turmoil.

i am often seeing raises disregarded and being 3 bet by weaker hands than mine, often by players out of position, so it is difficult getting a handle on what hands should be played when, as what the "text" book says is the complete opposite of what other players are doing and why "text book" plays are getting so many bad beats.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 09:29 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
also as i think about it, if the villian has ranged me on JJ+ AJ+has he infact made a semi decent call, he has given himself 2 live cards, possibility of both flush and straight draws against me, this is just a thought but i would be curious to others thoughts.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
with his suited 1-gap hand, against a random hand he's about in a coin flip (52%). with your two overcards, he's at 40%. If he thinks you're shoving light, with it being a coin flip, it's not a horrid call.

The reason for the more bad beats..... if you get your chips in ahead, then you can get bad-beat. If you put your chips in behind, you can't get a bad-beat. If you continually get your chips in when you're ahead, the majority of your losses will be bad-beats.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
Look what called you. There's your answer.

Yes, snap shove pre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
+1 snap shove.
Does anyone have a cEV calculator on standby (I don't)? I've been practicing hyper-turbos lately, so my instincts here aren't necessarily sharp, but I disagree that this is a snap-shove. I think it's still a shove, but given what the optimal calling ranges are behind, I think AQo is about the weakest you should be shoving here.

Old
Thu May 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashy27 View Post
yes for the simple reason i am still unsure as to how to play AJ, AQ, AK from early positions, these are all classed as premiuim hands when you are entering the pot 1st with them however i am finding through reading and hands i have posted that these are only premium hands if you have position.

i am also getting confused with the KQ, KJ, QJ range again should these be opened in position, when can should you be calling raises with all the above hands, should you be 3 betting them?

i thought i was doing ok with it all then started asking advice and hand analysis etc and it seems to of improved parts of my game yet thrown other parts into turmoil.

i am often seeing raises disregarded and being 3 bet by weaker hands than mine, often by players out of position, so it is difficult getting a handle on what hands should be played when, as what the "text" book says is the complete opposite of what other players are doing and why "text book" plays are getting so many bad beats.
I was going to mention this in your other thread, but I'm here reading this one so I'll say it now.

I think the reason you're getting confused is that there is no one textbook way to play a hand. There's too many other variables to consider to decide if a play is correct or not. Position, stack sizes, table images, level of a tournament, and type of a tournament all come into play. Playing AJ a certain way may be 100% correct in one situation, and 100% wrong in another. That's the beauty of poker.

Don't let any of this confusion frustrate you, this just means you're learning and are on the right path.

Old
Fri May 13, 2011, 07:37 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
If you continually get your chips in when you're ahead, the majority of your losses will be bad-beats.
i agree with that and it used to upset me, although the more i read and the more i play i realise that as a poker player all we CAN do is HOPE our money is going in good, when we do get it in good then that is ALL we can ask for, it means that the other player/s had to get lucky to beat us, it still stings when it happens but at least we know within ourselves we made the right play at the right time.

(although there are still parts of this that confuse me lol, like when you get it all in with say top 2 pairs or trips and get called by the draws because they have the right price to call etc)

Quote:
Don't let any of this confusion frustrate you, this just means you're learning and are on the right path.
thanks, confusion/frustration i believe is also part of the game, i would lay money even the pro's still get frustrated and confused by other peoples plays. best we can hope for is that we don't let it affect our game and we take it in our stride and learn from it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com