Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

PLO MTT Early Stage: A Hand

Old
PLO MTT Early Stage: A Hand - Sat May 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This was one of the first few hands of a $3 PLO MTT. I'm wondering what you guys think of my line. This is perhaps the first PLO game I've tried since I started studying the game, so I'm still pretty fresh on the gameplay.

Thanks for the input!

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, 3.3 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 (t2560)
MP3 (t3000)
CO (t3350)
Button (t2915)
Panicky (SB) (t2670)
BB (t3310)
UTG (t2865)
UTG+1 (t2920)
MP1 (t3060)

Panicky's M: 59.33

Preflop: Panicky is SB with 8, 9, 10, 5
UTG calls t30, 2 folds, MP2 bets t135, 3 folds, Panicky calls t120, 1 fold, UTG calls t105

Flop: (t435) J, 8, A (3 players)
Panicky checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks

Turn: (t435) 6 (3 players)
Panicky checks, UTG bets t150, 1 fold, Panicky raises to t450, UTG calls t300

River: (t1335) 2 (2 players)
Panicky bets t700

Old
Sat May 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
that's tough. Yes, you do have a flush, but in Omaha, it's pretty easy for someone to have a higher flush than yours.

I really wouldn't be surprised that with your 700 bet, if the opponent pushes, and if they do, there really isn't much you could do, but fold. They did bet the third club and called your raise, so they almost have to have a flush too.

If it was me (and I'm not a PLO expert by a longshot and have alot to learn in it), I'd have probably mucked it preflop. That type of hand, at least for me, is one that all it can do is to get you into trouble.

I try to only get involved early/mid with pairs, A high flush draws, suited broadways and possibly lower suited connectors but would like to have at least 2 of those combos in my hand.

Old
Sat May 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I've been reading up on PLO since this hand, and I see now more than I did yesterday how,
Quote:
They did bet the third club and called your raise, so they almost have to have a flush too.
and,
Quote:
That type of hand, at least for me, is one that all it can do is to get you into trouble.
really make sense.

I flatted preflop thinking that I could easily get chips if I flopped good, which wasn't all that unlikely given what I had. But the gap between the 5 and the 8 weakened my hand quite a bit, and the fact that any flush I could hit would be 10 high was pretty marginal, too. I think I overvalued my pair + flush draw when I flopped them. Another consideration is that my turn raise and river bet aren't really the kind that will get called by worse than what I had. I think that those bets weren't totally thought through.

Thanks for the input, JWK.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com