Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

9 handed turbo tournaments

Old
9 handed turbo tournaments - Sat May 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
BronzeStar
do you guys loosen up at all when playing in a turbo tournament as opposed to a normal tournament? In normal tourneys I usually stick to playing A-K, AA, KK, QQ depending on my position. When doing this in turbo tourneys I find I'm getting blinded out and not finishing as high.

I've been ITM in the 2 turbo tournies I've been in but I'm usually out quick after getting ITM.

I was just wondering if I should loosen it up a bit and play hands such as A-Q, A-J, A-10, JJ, 10-10?

Old
Sun May 15, 2011, 02:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
If it were me - I'd pay close attention to what others are playing and doing. If they are very loose I can afford to loosen up a bit: BUT always choose my play via position etc with care and I am prepared to stand my ground.

Sometimes I get knocked out sometimes I double and more than double up. Regardless I always enjoy myself.

MB

Old
Sun May 15, 2011, 03:43 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
loosen up, KQ, Jt suited connectors etc,,, if you wait on cat 1 hands you will go broke

Old
Thu May 26, 2011, 04:27 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
if you wait on cat 1 hands you will go broke
This is true in just about any game.

In general, you should not loosen up because it's a turbo. However, you must be more familiar with short-stack play. As I understand how the pros I've seen play turbos, they actually play pretty tight at the beginning. They are very selective about their spots until the push-or-fold phase, because there's no real need to gamble on a 75BB stack (and a lot of rookies will, because they think that turbo means they need to be exceedingly aggressive). Once you get to the push-or-fold phase, though, the real skill edge shows in people with good short-stack play. I've devoted hours to learning how to do this in the past week because I want to start playing some fast-structure sit & go's. I haven't even scratched the surface of the subject, though.

Old
Sat Jun 04, 2011, 03:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The reason to loosen up will depend on how many chips you have. In a turbo, the amount of BB's in your stack will go down quicker. That number will be what determines how much you need to open up your range of cards to play... not just that it's a turbo.

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:01 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
This is true in just about any game.

In general, you should not loosen up because it's a turbo. However, you must be more familiar with short-stack play. As I understand how the pros I've seen play turbos, they actually play pretty tight at the beginning. They are very selective about their spots until the push-or-fold phase, because there's no real need to gamble on a 75BB stack (and a lot of rookies will, because they think that turbo means they need to be exceedingly aggressive). Once you get to the push-or-fold phase, though, the real skill edge shows in people with good short-stack play. I've devoted hours to learning how to do this in the past week because I want to start playing some fast-structure sit & go's. I haven't even scratched the surface of the subject, though.
Exactly.. play a tight game early on, if you can double up that's great but normally the blinds catch you up and you will need to have a good shove/fold game.

I've recently started in turbos, mainly the 180 seaters. You need to make a lot of steals and re-steals to stay in the game.. you must never leave yourself with a stack that has no fold equity.

The more of these you play the more you can realise who is opening light/calling a raise light, and who will fold to a squeeze (a lot of weaker players will call light in order to double up).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com