Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

PSO Multiway Pot, After The Bubble

Old
PSO Multiway Pot, After The Bubble - Sun May 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Mostly I've been avoiding multi-way pots because the math is so complicated (eg. JD's thread "situation to consider" http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/com...on-to-consider... ), and it always seems like anything can happen. Like you know how there's that rule of thumb that if there's a ton of people in the pot, top pair will rarely be the best hand?

But here's a multi-way hand from PSO I played yesterday - I just had a really bad feeling I was behind the entire time. And then the flush hit on the river and I was so wishing I was in it! This was after the bubble when we were all 'in the money', so it didn't really 'matter' whether any of us won or went bust. But what if this had been a real tournament for money - you think this would have been a good place to take a chance (pre-flop, post-flop)? (I don't have a ton of experience playing post-bubble)

Pre-flop odds:
JJ: 36%
77: 17%
22: 13%
Big Stack #1 (50% range): 16%
Big Stack #2 (50% range): 16%

Post-flop odds (better than I would have thought if I had stayed in the pot, and Big Stack #2 folded):
JJ: 4%
77: 22%
22: 53%
Big Stack #1: Folds
Big Stack #2: Folds

PS No reads - big stacks were playing a wide range, the rest of us seemed to be waiting for a decent hand to shove all-in.

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun May 15, 2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old
Sun May 15, 2011, 10:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I can't say this for sure, since I don't specialize at all in PSO league games, but I believe that post-bubble in league games plays pretty much like a typical MTT, so my advice here should be pretty accurate.

77 with five big blinds preflop is a shoving hand. With five big blinds and very little to lose, you should ship any strong holding, as a general rule. This means any pair, any ace, most kings, and just about any suited connector or suited one-gap hand with a 7 or better. Or something like that. That's just my estimate of a good shoving range from your spot. If you bust out, then oh well, you played good and got points so yay! But if everyone folds or you manage to win, then you get a chance to make a final table run, and I believe that a first place finish can get you as many as 100 or so points. Calling preflop just gives you a bad situation to deal with, because someone's often going to go all-in on most flops. You don't have to deal with that problem if you get it in preflop.

Congrats on the cash!

Old
Sun May 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
with 5BB left, if you're going to get into a hand, you need to shove first, don't limp.

I'd have still called the bet on the flop in that situation, 5k into a 38k or more pot (if the others call). You have more equity in your hand than that percentage, so it should be a call.

Also, since it's basically about all or nothing from now until the top 3, you need to seriously start building chips and being shortstacked, limping will not get that done.

Shortstacked like you were, it's gotta either be a push or a fold, and I'm pushing.

Old
Sun May 15, 2011, 11:50 AM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Those guys said it, please stop limping on on a short stack.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Stack-in-MTT-s

Old
Sun May 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Okay, I get it LOL LOL

Thx everybody

EDIT: I guess I just wasn't sure about the multi-way thing because don't ATC head-to-head almost always have better odds than dominated cards and pairs?

Odds Head-To-Head:
AKs: 69%
72o: 30%

72o (head to head) >>> 77 (multi-way)? Not sure ?

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun May 15, 2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old
Mon May 16, 2011, 12:51 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Run a few tests in an equity calculator and let us know what you find.

Old
Mon May 16, 2011, 01:29 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Run a few tests in an equity calculator and let us know what you find.
Is that the same as the odds calculators, with the pot equity severely dimished with the addition of each additional person, especially dominated pairs? eg 77 in a 5-way pot (that includes JJ) has 17% pot equity; 72o in a 2-way pot (against any 2 overs) has 30%?

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon May 16, 2011 at 01:37 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com