Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

ranging confusion

Old
ranging confusion - Tue May 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This was four hands into the tournament. The villain had only been on the table for two hands and this was the first he played. When the villain led out for 3x in EP, I ranged him 88+, KQ, AJ - AK. Once they called my reraise, I narrowed their range JJ+, AK. Their lead out on the flop confused me since I was sure they wouldn't call the pre flop reraise with anything that interacted with this flop. So I thought a fold wasn't the right choice. I called here instead of pushing because I felt they were making a stab knowing I shouldn't interact with the flop either and I didn't want to scare him off. I did not consider his commitment decision. After review I believe I was ranging him to fit my hand, rather than basing it on the way he was playing the hand.

How would you range them pre and post flop?
Would you fold, call or raise post flop?
Since they are unknown, do you respect the raise?

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 12:11 PM
(#2)
Doesn't look like the replayer has data.

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Doesn't look like the replayer has data.
In other words, ship it.

Or don't.

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Definitely fold your underpair to the board here.

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 01:36 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
Well I will throw in my two cents.

Hard to range someone who has not played a hand but you have to be thinking a pocket pair of some description. Raise indicates a set and its an insta-fold. Even if he is playing the str or going for the flush draw, you are in trouble and you have to respect the raise

Pity you did not river the 3 tho.

TC

Old
Tue May 17, 2011, 11:45 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Push pre?

I can't see anything, but that's my default answer.

Old
Wed May 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymn View Post
After review I believe I was ranging him to fit my hand, rather than basing it on the way he was playing the hand.
You mean in thinking like, AA only comes around 1 in 169 times ... that one time finally hit, and it's really getting beat by that 4:1 longshot 55 or 77? Really?? Really??? Nah ...

Yeah ...

Me with AA versus 88

Maybe it's just a matter of getting the experience under the belt - like more experience dealing with AA and all that can happen, then there's more experience to draw from I guess hopefully? (I've only been playing poker less than a year myself)

Old
Wed May 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
I might have shoved all in preflop but I would also have looked at his location ( where the player was from) by the looks of it he called ya preflop raise with a small poket pr and he hit a set ? but like I said I would be able to put a better read on him knowing his location yes cause if that was known I would not shove all in Id have played preflop like you then fold afterwards cuz those players call big preflop with small pkt prs all the time

Old
Wed May 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yay there's finally a hand showing in the replayer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymn View Post
How would you range them pre and post flop?
Would you fold, call or raise post flop?
Since they are unknown, do you respect the raise?
It's really tough to range them preflop since you're only a few hands into the tourney and you have zero info on this player. I mean you have to make your best educated guess, but keep in mind adjustments might be necessary as the hand progresses. This player might be opening really nitty and have a super tight range, or he might be opening everything down to 56s, we just don't know yet.

I like your preflop 3b size, it's good to punish speculative calls and won't chase off big hands that you dominate like JJ or AK. It also creates a low enough stack to pot ratio that we should have a profitable committal on most boards

Not sure what you mean do we respect the raise? His preflop raise we have AA so it doesn't matter. If you mean do we respect his flop bet, I would say yes, sure, in the sense that I doubt he's leading into it committing himself with air. I would range him on any pocket pair that is now a set or overpair to the board, or any solid draw. Against such a range we are well ahead as there's relatively few combos we're behind (just the sets) and many we're ahead of (everything else), so combinatorically we're a solid favorite to be leading. Which means my commitment decision doesn't change, and since he's committing himself I would just raise immediately and get him all in right now before a potentially scary card comes off and he decides to save his remaining chips.

Old
Wed May 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
(#10)
Yes, I was asking about the flop bet. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Thanks All.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com