Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

TT with overcards on the flop.

Old
Question
TT with overcards on the flop. - Thu May 19, 2011, 04:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
So I'm playing a 15$ tournament with 27 players, and the payout is top 6 players. I'm at the final table now and I get myself in this situation. Everybody just got to the final table to I have no reads on my opponent. My thought process for this hand, went as follows: He raised 2bb so I'm thinking he has low pair or ace rag. I decide to call with the intention of shoving on the flop with no overcards. The flop comes with overcards so I check, he checks so I thought that he doesn't have top pair, so he could have ace rag or low pair. I decided to shove. Do you think I should have checked the turn and hopefully see a free river?
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner"

Last edited by andrei17731; Thu May 19, 2011 at 04:11 AM..

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 04:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
He raised 2bb so I'm thinking he has low pair or ace rag.
Why? Why not a suited connector or KK? You really shouldn't be basing your bet sizing on the strength of your hand preflop as it turns your hand face up. Unless you know this player will play this way (you said no reads) there is no reason to think that.

With 900 in the pot, I think you should just ship it pre. You might even get calls from smaller pairs, but most of the time I think you just take the pot down adding about 50% to your stack.

You could either check or shove the flop. The turn is a terrible card. I'd just hope for a checkdown at this point. Maybe call a small bet on the river or turn your hand into a bluff if a good scary card comes on the river (3rd diamond). Really though you have NO IDEA where you are in the hand. Is your shove for value or a bluff? If value, what worse hands will call you? If bluff, what better hands can fold?

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 09:31 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Thanks, I didn't ask those questions- '' if value, what worse hand will call, if bluff, what better hands can fold''.

Old
Sat May 21, 2011, 04:28 AM
(#4)
nanonoko
(nanonoko)
Since: Jun 2010
Supernova
If you think he has ace rag or a small pair, there really isn't much to be scared about w/ your hand so shoving all in doesn't protect your hand that much. However, whenever you get called you are probably in really bad shape in which case you were and you were drawing to 2 outs. you would have more reason to protect your hand if it was against a flush draw or possibly your opponent has 2 overcards or something like that.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com