Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

U.S.A. players

Old
U.S.A. players - Thu May 19, 2011, 08:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I see that a few of us American players are still hanging around the forum and play tables.Do any of you really think that we will ever come back to PS/PSO?I have moved on to two other sites playing real money on 1 i have a so so br the other i have yet to make a deposit but will soon.on the 2nd site i have seen some of you guys because you did not change your handle or changed it very little.I hope you guys/gals are doing good over there.dont get me wrong.I am happy that we can play real money on these sites.But why just take down just the top 3 sites and leave the others open?it dont make any sense to me.shut down the big 3 and the others are getting bigger its only a matter of time before they up grade/add more players/more tourneys.they will get bigger and bigger.then what?

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 10:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I still don't think US players will ever get to play on Pokerstars again. I considered trying one of the still US facing sites, but their traffic sucks and I don't trust them anyways.

I think the US went after the 'big 3' only because this is all about the money, and my guess is the 'big 3' sites accounted for 99% of US players and US money involved in online poker. So basically, the other sites were too small to try and deal with. The bigger these remaining US sites get, the higher the chances they will face charges from the DOJ as well. I was listening to the two plus two pokercast a week ago, and they kind of spelled out the problem. The bigger a US poker site gets, the harder it is for them to jump through the legal loopholes when processing deposits and cashouts. Allegedly, this is the problem the big 3 had and they were forced to actually break some laws to continue fulfilling their US player cashout obligations.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
I still don't think US players will ever get to play on Pokerstars again. I considered trying one of the still US facing sites, but their traffic sucks and I don't trust them anyways.

I think the US went after the 'big 3' only because this is all about the money, and my guess is the 'big 3' sites accounted for 99% of US players and US money involved in online poker. So basically, the other sites were too small to try and deal with. The bigger these remaining US sites get, the higher the chances they will face charges from the DOJ as well. I was listening to the two plus two pokercast a week ago, and they kind of spelled out the problem. The bigger a US poker site gets, the harder it is for them to jump through the legal loopholes when processing deposits and cashouts. Allegedly, this is the problem the big 3 had and they were forced to actually break some laws to continue fulfilling their US player cashout obligations.
the 2 sites i am on have been around for years 1 has a forum the other dont and i have not heard anything bad about them as far as payouts go.do you have any info on them not paying?I might be wrong about this but back in Dec 2010 stars did not let us deposit at that time they could have cashed us out and then the DOJ would not have done what they did but instead they they chose to break some laws and now there in court.they must have seen this coming.before all this the U.S.told credit card company's and banks not to allow deposits to on line poker sites and PS did stop us for a short time but all others just kept taking deposits.there for the banks did not do there jobs and still are not.they will never stop on line poker.if it is just about the money let Vegas set it up for U.S. players only and our winnings can be taxed on the spot just like they do at the track for $600.00 or more i believe this is coming and if we cant play with our friends across the pond and north and south of us i think its only fair that they cant play here.in a perfect world set up a site as good as this one in the U.S and let all of us play and let the chips fall were they may.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 02:05 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
My concern with the remaining US sites isn't 'will they let me cashout my money?', but 'will they be able to cashout my money when they grow bigger and the DOJ comes knocking?' If you don't really understand what I mean, look into Ultimate Bet/Absolute Poker's current situation. There is a reason they have not agreed with the DOJ's deal, and it is not a good reason. The players on those two sites will probably never see their bankroll money ever again.

A big reason why there has not been a US based online poker site is because it would never be able to compete with the already established 'big 3'. Just look at Canada. I hear they have their own online poker site, but many Canadians still go to Pokerstars or other sites based overseas. Now that the main competition has been permanently ejected from the US who knows, maybe we will see some changes in the near future. There are other obstacles in the path to legalize US based online poker so only time will tell.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 03:00 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks rockerguyAA

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
My concern with the remaining US sites isn't 'will they let me cashout my money?', but 'will they be able to cashout my money when they grow bigger and the DOJ comes knocking?' If you don't really understand what I mean, look into Ultimate Bet/Absolute Poker's current situation. There is a reason they have not agreed with the DOJ's deal, and it is not a good reason. The players on those two sites will probably never see their bankroll money ever again.

A big reason why there has not been a US based online poker site is because it would never be able to compete with the already established 'big 3'. Just look at Canada. I hear they have their own online poker site, but many Canadians still go to Pokerstars or other sites based overseas. Now that the main competition has been permanently ejected from the US who knows, maybe we will see some changes in the near future. There are other obstacles in the path to legalize US based online poker so only time will tell.

I'm in the dark on this I guess. What is the reason Ultimate and Absolute haven't struck a deal? I'm just curious.

As for PS making a deal, well I'm a conspiracy theorist I guess, and since I don't know the details of their deal, I'm hesitant to even cash out my minor bankroll. My question is when they were looking for a company to handle their cashout transactions, did they find one in the US, oh, say some arm of the government, possibly working for the DOJ? Be real easy to track all of us 'illegally' playing gamers. I know it's pretty far fetched sounding, but not impossible.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 05:28 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphnascar View Post
I'm in the dark on this I guess. What is the reason Ultimate and Absolute haven't struck a deal? I'm just curious.

As for PS making a deal, well I'm a conspiracy theorist I guess, and since I don't know the details of their deal, I'm hesitant to even cash out my minor bankroll. My question is when they were looking for a company to handle their cashout transactions, did they find one in the US, oh, say some arm of the government, possibly working for the DOJ? Be real easy to track all of us 'illegally' playing gamers. I know it's pretty far fetched sounding, but not impossible.
http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/0...ptcy-10337.htm

AP/UB's parent company is filing for bankruptcy.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 06:00 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post

Hey ssuglia, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 06:28 PM
(#9)
yes i keep checking in here to see what's up

i have joined 5 other sites to play at
kept my name as close as possible so that others can find me
i'm not worried about whether i get paid because i never deposit (i have been considering changing this but haven't yet)

my home club is still active (though not as much as it was)
we have also created a poker group on a social network so to keep up with what is where and when since the mods here have decided to enforce a rule about not mentioning another site

to answer your question
yes i believe we will be back here hopefully sooner than later
there are trade laws that have been in place for decades that will not allow certain companies to close their competitors out while establishing a better foothold on the economic base for themselves

so no
i have not cashed out either but mine is due to optimism of my return here to play once again and not some dumbfounded paranoia of the government coming to get me

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 11:24 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphnascar View Post

1) Most of the info I'm getting on Black Friday and the Ultimate Bet/Absolute stuff is from two plus two pokercasts. I'm sure google can dig up a lot of interesting bits too.

2) Your kind of freaken me out with your conspiracy theories lol. Good thing everyone is in agreement on the legal fact that playing online poker is technically 'not illegal' and is therefore 'legal'. However, I bet the government is tracking everything. I pity the fool who doesn't report their bankroll cashout on their taxes... they won't be coming after anyone for playing, but tax evasion charges would be real easy.

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 07:43 AM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post

apparently not.

http://www.parttimepoker.com/parent-...for-bankruptcy

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 08:44 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I have pretty much quit playing on PS altogether, and very little elsewhere. My wife and I play 2 to 3 times a week in live games and tournaments and that seems to satisfy us. We can play every night of the week if we wanted to so we have all the flexibility we need in that respect.
I would like to get back but that is out of my hands.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com