Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Would you fold this?

Old
Would you fold this? - Thu May 19, 2011, 09:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
This was in PSO, where I lost sight of my stack and kind of got immersed in the hand, so it wound up being an all-in by the river. I felt like there was a good chance I was beat, but there was also a chance I could be ahead. The notes I had on the villain were that he plays hands like 76s from middle position, 86o in the big blind when raised, 66, 78o on the button, 6Ts in the cutoff, AQo, and that he bluffs a lot, overrepresents his hands - his VPIP was 33%. My gut said he had the K, but then I read my notes and felt like he could have a lesser flush since I balked.

Should I have put stack preservation at the top of the list if in doubt? I had all these concepts we've been talking about swimming in my head - I feel like maybe I lost sight of the most important thing of all (tournament life)?

I've been playing a lot of other games lately that are a lot more aggressive, so maybe my reads are off ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu May 19, 2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Think if he doesnt have you beat on the flop he for sure has you on the turn.
Its rare that people will fire a bullet on a 4 card flush board with out having the Ace or the king usually.

The other thing you have to think about is if he is some what decent.
Bad players will tend to overbet a flush when they hit or minbet when they have it.
Good players will bet weak to string you on.
More experienced players will play it both ways to balance the range.

So when you bet 83% of the pot it can be seen as many things still.
If you bet this way before and had air,then I would not take this line.
You are more likely to get played at or called down.
If you bet this way with the nuts than this is a good line because it is going to look strong.

I stab at this pot and give up to any push back from villian since a 9 is just not going to cut it with out really good reads.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 10:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
if it was me, especially in a PSO, that's a muck preflop.

You basically have to know that if not on the flop, then the turn for sure, they've got a higher flush.

Either way, since it's a PSO, you need to preserve your chips as much as possible... so that you can use them to get ITM and get the extra league points. You do not want to be taking a chance when you don't know that you have the best hand.

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
if it was me, especially in a PSO, that's a muck preflop.

You basically have to know that if not on the flop, then the turn for sure, they've got a higher flush.

Either way, since it's a PSO, you need to preserve your chips as much as possible... so that you can use them to get ITM and get the extra league points. You do not want to be taking a chance when you don't know that you have the best hand.
That's great advice JWK, especially the last one. I'll try it out tomorrow since I'm already out of the 10pm game too - yikes! I've got a good feeling it should help a lot.

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Old
Thu May 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
Think if he doesnt have you beat on the flop he for sure has you on the turn.
Its rare that people will fire a bullet on a 4 card flush board with out having the Ace or the king usually.

The other thing you have to think about is if he is some what decent.
Bad players will tend to overbet a flush when they hit or minbet when they have it.
Good players will bet weak to string you on.
More experienced players will play it both ways to balance the range.

So when you bet 83% of the pot it can be seen as many things still.
If you bet this way before and had air,then I would not take this line.
You are more likely to get played at or called down.
If you bet this way with the nuts than this is a good line because it is going to look strong.

I stab at this pot and give up to any push back from villian since a 9 is just not going to cut it with out really good reads.
Yeah - the flush made from the 4 board cards is a lot weaker than the flush made from 3 board cards, isn't it? I think I read that in a book somewhere ...

Also, my reads were from another day - today he wasn't that bluffy. My reads could have been from later on in the game of that other tourney when he had a much larger stack or something like that. Probably it was just wishful thinking (and by wishful thinking I mean desperation) to think that he just had like a 6 I guess the pushback was a pretty big sign that it was time to fold.

Thx cookie!!!

PS I was wondering if you had fallen into a big jar of cookies - haven't seen you around

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu May 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 06:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Sam,

It is a definite fold preflop with this hand on the SB in PSO and this early.

In a normal tourney I would like the bet even out of position but when the big blind calls, my spider sense starts tingling.

The worse thing about A rag though is hitting such a wet flop, off course you get your pair Aces but your get kicker is weak, so if the flush comes you are likely doomed. And as Cookie says, a decent player will slow play this with a weak bet on the turn to reel you in.

You must have known he had the K at the river, and those are the times to trust your gut, no matter what notes you have, although I know it is hard to lay this down when you have so much invested in the hand.

TC

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi top! Yeah, it was that feeling of pot-commitment (and by pot-commitment I mean feeling of desperation) that made me call on the river I think I DID know ... bah, not sure why I called.

And yeah, PSO tourneys can be different from other tourneys the way the point system is set up - that definitely seems to be the winning formula to play tight, patient, wait for the best hand, watch the stack, and be willing to fold, fold, fold

I've been playing these other tourneys lately where the play is so different - here's some hands I played in the Inside SCOOP Daily Freeroll the other day:

I felt bad for this player because I think they ruled out JJ to KK since I didn't shove pre-flop, which most people would - but I wanted somebody to call so I could take my chances rather than just wind up with blinds and antes. Anyways, just thought it was kind of noteworthy in that neither of us had the A.

This hand was later in the game where the stack differential was huge and there were 3 players with VPIP's over 40. The 'villain' here had a VPIP of 76 and an aggression factor of 8. I guess one style of play would be to wait for a premium hand and shove, but there is also that other style where people will play less than premium hands and then make bets to see what they stand (or what they can get away with)? Can you believe somebody would play 54o??? I guess he can though because he can win with it - I feel like I totally got out played.

Anyways, thought those hands were kind of fun in that they're so different from PSO. But I still love PSO League - gonna try playing tight today! Thx for the help everybody!!!

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 10:10 AM
(#8)
Well play tight trusty but not too tight. For example, your J,10 suited is worth a roll on the button in PSO. And there are just as many who would play 4,5 in the cutoff even in PSO.

I assume that you are using a HUD, don't over rely on the info and use your own reading of the play at the table as well. Many people vary their style based on the dynamic of the table.

And never feel sorry about taking chips off anyone else. You are in the tourney to win.

Oh and i did not know about the SCOOP freerolls. Thanks for the heads up.

TC

Just realised that I have to watch those two nutcases on the SCOOP show to get the password; the things I will do for money or the opportunity to win some

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Fri May 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post

And never feel sorry about taking chips off anyone else. You are in the tourney to win.

TC
This is a big problem for me

Ever since Black Friday, the pool of people is so much smaller and you see the same people again and again, and everybody's so nice. It gets hard because I don't want to be the person to hurt anybody else's chances - and I could swear others sometimes scale it back too against me for the same reason. If somebody played against me like they were playing to win, that'd be totally cool and I'd play back. But mostly I just stick to my cards. I guess I'll just have to play more (and play tight) to rack up little points (and not get negative points) hopefully!

PS If you don't have the time to watch the whole show, there's places on the internet that give out the password if you do a Google search

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Well, so here's the latest - played 2 hands early on that technically don't fall into the tight zone but are part of my regular range, and won (67s, KQo, late position) but scaled back my raises significantly to be on the cautious side, so that compromised my chip intake.

Then didn't get anything remotely playable until the 55 hit when I was already under the 10BB threshold. This is a little awkward because there's that school of thought in Hand Analysis that says to shove with hands like these at this point. But is this the general practice of what's considered a winning formula for PSO, how I played the hand below?

There was somebody at my table from Turkey who signed up for a game yesterday, and because of the time zone difference he fell asleep and got auto-folded. And managed to win 4 points! I'm thinking maybe that's my best option at this point - getting kind of desperate LOL!

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 03:06 PM
(#11)
Patience Trusty Sam,

Had you been watching how wardy played? His stack was as low as yours and he had flat called. I would nearly bet my house that he had not played too many hands before that and that he was TAG so your fives were a call at best and with a 1 in seven chance of hitting a fold was probably best.

The under 10 big blinds rule does not apply on PSO; you are playing to score points and then the target is of getting in the money. If necessary I will fold every hand for the first hour and a half. Total nit play I know but you want to accumulate points not win the tournament.

I am going to ask darkman to set up the Dark Arts club again and suggest you as a student for his training on the PSO, as well as me off course

TC

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Patience Trusty Sam,

Had you been watching how wardy played? His stack was as low as yours and he had flat called. I would nearly bet my house that he had not played too many hands before that and that he was TAG so your fives were a call at best and with a 1 in seven chance of hitting a fold was probably best.

The under 10 big blinds rule does not apply on PSO; you are playing to score points and then the target is of getting in the money. If necessary I will fold every hand for the first hour and a half. Total nit play I know but you want to accumulate points not win the tournament.

I am going to ask darkman to set up the Dark Arts club again and suggest you as a student for his training on the PSO, as well as me off course

TC
Okay, I was hoping somebody would be willing to say that - Dave and Oriholic keep saying that's "yuck!" and "terrible play".

Then I get it from other end that I'm "impatient"

I guess I'll leave that to between you and Langolier and Oriholic to debate ... personally I'd be inclined to just blind out rather than play that 55 if that was all I was going to get which is what you'd do that Dave probably never would. On the other hand I just flopped 2pr with a A68 flop and jammed it and wound up losing to a better 2pr, which sounds like that's a risk you'd never take, that Dave might have (or might not have).

I guess ultimately it's up to me to just absorb everything that all the experts advise and just figure out what works best for me based on what level of risk I'm willing to tolerate and what sorts of games appeal to me, just like everybody else.

It's sure interesting though to note the different approaches - people can be very different in that way

Last edited by TrustySam; Fri May 20, 2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#13)
Well PSO is a different animal and the advise from JWK best fits the bill.

Different game plane for different game types.

Offer still stands if you want to improve your PSO scores.

TC

And I am no expert compared to Dave and oriholic

TC

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 04:33 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Well PSO is a different animal and the advise from JWK best fits the bill.

Different game plane for different game types.

Offer still stands if you want to improve your PSO scores.

TC

And I am no expert compared to Dave and oriholic

TC
I think the rationale behind the shove is that 55 against AQo is actually a 54% to 45% favorite to win going into the flop - 55 doesn't need to improve, or hit the 5 to win the hand. By the flop I the odds had improved to 60% to 40%, even with the addition of the straight draw which gave them extra outs. By the turn the odds of winning with 55 against AQo were 78% to 25%. I guess the larger idea being that if you're a statistical favorite to win, assuming they even call, why wouldn't you take that chance to double up while you still have a decent-sized stack?

I guess the rationale against shoving with 55 for me would be that in sacrificing some stack size for a better hand, there's a greater chance of getting called by a lesser hand from a bigger stack. KK against AQo takes outs away from the villain, and acts as a blocker to them possibly making a straight. I've seen it work really effectively for other people, and it has the added benefit of not risking them incurring negative points by taking that chance sooner rather than later - something that only exists in PSO.

I mean like sometimes I think there's no 'right' way because if you watch people play, there's a ton of different styles out there.

Anyways, thanks so much for the offer top ... very thoughtful of you to think of me. And thanks so much to darkman for offering - that'd be supercool to get pointers from darkman (go darkman!! ). I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet though to learn because I've got all this theory swimming in my head that I feel like I really need to practice before I can understand it. I've only been playing less than a year ... have you been playing longer than that? You play really well

Last edited by TrustySam; Fri May 20, 2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 04:50 PM
(#15)
Thanks Trusty,

I have not asked darkmn yet but he is a very amenable bloke.

Well I played poker in Ireland since about the age of ten, and games such as pitch and toss, so there was a fair bit of gambling even at an early age.

I never played for money on line until the end of this year and thought I had found a money making machine after my first deposit and some big wins. I found this site luckily before I had cleared out my bank account when it started to go the other way.LOL.

Now I am building a bank from virtually zero and trying like yourself to put the huge amount of knowledge here to good use.

There is a lot of information. So I am pretty useless at MTTs and more than one table SnGs, I just get impatient. I get a reasonable return on low level ring games and I do ok in PSO thanks to the discipline taught by Darkman.

Altho saying that I just got moved table and found myself really short stacked versus everyone else with AK suited. I had to shove and off course got beat but that's poker.

Just try and find your niche or adapt your play to the different game types. You will improve because you have the knowledge, it is just knowing the situations to employ it to your advantage.

Join effsea's Homegame, a good training ground if ever there was one. I am playing in the game at 9.05 EST there, (3.05am for me). Maybe i will see you there. Just pm effsea for details.

Good luck on the felt,

TC

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 04:53 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Oh thanks top I've played at the same table as effsea in PSO and he's really great too!!!

I guess I feel like I really have my hands full just practicing with PSO and all the other styles - such a complex game ... which makes it super fun tho!!!

GL at the tables!

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 09:54 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
I would nearly bet my house that he had not played too many hands before that and that he was TAG so your fives were a call at best and with a 1 in seven chance of hitting a fold was probably best.
Limping AQ on a 10 BB stack is not TAG. Tight and TAG are not the same thing.

That said, I'd fold 55 there. You're not deep enough to set mine, and you're not desperate enough to shove such a weak hand, especially when a tight player has already entered the pot. The 10 BB rule is that if you're going to enter a pot it should generally be with a shove for maximum fold equity. You don't have to enter with 55. No need to risk your very playable (especially given PSO stack standards) stack for such a small pot on such a weak hand. If you had 88 or better I might consider a shove, but 55 is flipping even against a hand like 67 suited (with 67 slightly favored!) and crushed by 66, 77, 88, 99+. You're only really dominating A2-A5 and 22-44. You can definitely wait for a better spot.

Once you get down to around 5 or 6 BBs you should look for opportunities to shove, but 10 BBs is still pretty healthy the way PSO players play and the points are given. Generally I don't like shoving pre until the antes come around or you have a monster and there's a lot of money in the pot already. You can easily let 55 go. You don't gain enough by shoving here. And you'll surely find a spot where you can shove wide against a nit later.

I am definitely no expert compared to Dave. Although I am pretty good at PSO. Just gotta find your spots.

Old
Fri May 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
(#18)
OK TPA, a rock

Hard to tell without some prior experience of the player but I know many TAGs that would just call with AQ in PSO and not bet it because it is vulnerable to better hands or even pocket pair.

What i would agree with is that you pick your spot in PSO., and 55 against a TAG or a TPA is not good in PSO. 55 maybe has a small edge but not big enough to play in this scenario, and I repeat this scenario.

And i would disagree with oriholic about the 5 or 6 blinds in PSO and then shoving. I have seen some people luck out with Q7 or J3 round the hour and a half mark against better hands, and some of these are high ranking players. How many times will those hands stand though against bigger stacks? Your aim is to get as many points as possible in each tourney you play in PSO.

I have crawled into the money several times and left it with the poker gods to do so in PSO. Only then have i started playing poker and then went on to finish in the top 3. If I went all in with any "reasonable hand" when the blinds were 200/400 or 300/600 I would never have got into the money at all with every bigger stack and calling station calling any raise i would make.

PSO is about chip preservation if you want to consistently score points. If points are out of reach then throw caution to the wind. If you get to the points but look like not making the money; then throw caution to the wind but if you think you can crawl over the line then play for that. Once you are in the money, then you can start playing like a normal tourney because the difference between the last ITM and fourth place is minimal. You need to be aiming for top three and preferably first place just like a normal tourney to secure top points.

Look at the scores of anyone in the top 100, top 50, or top 10. They may not score every game, they may not be ITM every game, but the amount of points they do score outweigh any negative points that they have whethet they play 30 tournaments a month or a hundred.

And Trusty Sam, you want to go high in the league rankings, then that is what you should be aiming for.

TC

Old
Sat May 21, 2011, 05:33 AM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I didn't say shove when you're down to 5 BB, I said you should be looking for spots to shove.

Those nitty points players don't want to bust early any more than you do. At least you have fold equity on your side when you shove into them. They don't. They won't be calling very wide. If you run into QQ+ that's just unlucky.

I have a really long all over place response that I might post, but I think one of my hand histories might show some of what I mean. Pokerstars deleted all my hand histories but thankfully I have some saved from that time I ran my Time Machine. This is from March 4th. I'd prefer one from late March, as I had figured out a lot by the end of that month, but this shows a few principles.

Here are some hands from a PSO where I turned a 90 chip stack during 15/30 blinds into a 62nd place ITM. I get a few lucky big hand double-ups (AK, AJ, JJ), a walk to my BB, and then the blinds pass through me. When we start this set of hands I have 855 chips and the blinds are 150/300 with 25 ante. I'm already deep enough that negative points are no big deal. This is seven consecutive hands.

Hand #1
Poker Stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 8 players
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG+1): t855 M = 1.32
jimbo_nodak (MP1): t2390 M = 3.68
justletme142 (MP2): t1260 M = 1.94
mjhpierce (CO): t415 M = 0.64
hunterdown (BTN): t2635 M = 4.05
GMAN STUD 11 (SB): t12260 M = 18.86
1979michelle (BB): t595 M = 0.92
Bill Curran (UTG): t2085 M = 3.21

Pre Flop: (t650) Hero is UTG+1 with J Q
6 folds, GMAN STUD 11 calls t150, 1 fold
So as far as I can remember the basic table makeup is 5 tight players, 1 big stack and 2 sitters. I have been playing a very tight game. Still the big stack has no reason to ever fold to a shove from me. Since he is not out of the hand yet, I elect to fold JQ offsuit, a very marginal hand, easily dominated by most my table's calling range. Plus, I have one more hand before the blinds hit me. Shoving wouldn't be bad either, but a lot of hands that would call have me dominated. AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, QQ, JJ, AA, KK. At this point I was pretty averse to ever shoving unsuited broadways in PSO.

Hand #2
Poker Stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 9 players

Hero (UTG): t830 M = 1.23
jimbo_nodak (UTG+1): t2365 M = 3.50
justletme142 (UTG+2): t1235 M = 1.83
mjhpierce (MP1): t390 M = 0.58
hunterdown (MP2): t2610 M = 3.87
Razzys (CO): t1300 M = 1.93
GMAN STUD 11 (BTN): t12735 M = 18.87
1979michelle (SB): t270 M = 0.40
Bill Curran (BB): t2060 M = 3.05

Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is UTG with 8 8
Hero raises to t804, 8 folds

With under 2.5 BBs, UTG and the blinds about to hit me, pocket 8s is a snap shove. I'm hoping everyone folds, as I have a very vulnerable hand (generally a coinflip if called) and taking down the pot preflop almost doubles my stack.

Hand #3
Poker Stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 9 players

Hero (BB): t1480 M = 2.19
jimbo_nodak (UTG): t2340 M = 3.47
justletme142 (UTG+1): t1210 M = 1.79
mjhpierce (UTG+2): t365 M = 0.54
hunterdown (MP1): t2585 M = 3.83
Razzys (MP2): t1275 M = 1.89
GMAN STUD 11 (CO): t12710 M = 18.83
1979michelle (BTN): t95 M = 0.14
Bill Curran (SB): t1735 M = 2.57

Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is BB with 5 6
5 folds, GMAN STUD 11 raises to t900, 3 folds

Well, I was hoping for a walk, but that didn't happen. My hand is very weak and the big stack has raised the pot. Easy fold. Losing the BB does hurt of course, but at least I'm not yet forced to call off my stack

Hand #4

Hero (SB): t1155 M = 1.71
jimbo_nodak (BB): t2315 M = 3.43
justletme142 (UTG): t1185 M = 1.76
mjhpierce (UTG+1): t340 M = 0.50
hunterdown (UTG+2): t2560 M = 3.79
Razzys (MP1): t1250 M = 1.85
GMAN STUD 11 (MP2): t13360 M = 19.79
1979michelle (CO): t70 M = 0.10
Bill Curran (BTN): t1560 M = 2.31

Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is SB with 5 A
7 folds, Hero raises to t1129, 1 fold

It folds to me in the SB. I have an ace and the BB is supertight. Easy shove. I'd push any ace, any broadways, any suited connector 87+, and maybe some other stuff. Tight points player is not going to call off light here and risk losing 800 chips.

Hand #5

Hero (BTN): t1655 M = 2.45
jimbo_nodak (SB): t1990 M = 2.95
justletme142 (BB): t1160 M = 1.72
mjhpierce (UTG): t315 M = 0.47
hunterdown (UTG+1): t2535 M = 3.76
Razzys (UTG+2): t1225 M = 1.81
GMAN STUD 11 (MP1): t13335 M = 19.76
1979michelle (MP2): t45 M = 0.07
Bill Curran (CO): t1535 M = 2.27

Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is BTN with 3 A
1 fold, hunterdown calls t300, 1 fold, GMAN STUD 11 calls t300, 2 folds, Hero raises to t1629, 2 folds, hunterdown calls t1329, 1 fold

Two limpers on my button. I have a suited ace so I shove. This may be a bit risky with GMAN in the pot, but I have a hand with a lot of possibilities if called. Ace high may be good, also can pair my ace or make the nut flush or a wheel straight. I'm hoping to get 2 folds. Well, now I have to win this race.

Flop: (t4233) 4 2 K (2 players)
hunterdown checks, Hero checks

I have 1 chip. I'm never folding but I'm also not putting it in if I don't have to.

Turn: (t4233) 7 (2 players)
hunterdown checks, Hero checks

River: (t4233) 2 (2 players)
hunterdown bets t300, Hero calls t1 all in

Ace high held up, and I now have over 4000 chips. Also, clearly he wasn't as tight as I may have thought (J9o). I dodged a bullet here.

Hand #6
Poker Stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t265 Blinds + t25 - 9 players

Hero (CO): t4235 M = 6.62
jimbo_nodak (BTN): t1815 M = 2.84
justletme142 (SB): t835 M = 1.30
mjhpierce (BB): t290 M = 0.45
hunterdown (UTG): t880 M = 1.38
Razzys (UTG+1): t1200 M = 1.88
GMAN STUD 11 (UTG+2): t13010 M = 20.33
1979michelle (MP1): t20 M = 0.03
Bill Curran (MP2): t1510 M = 2.36

Pre Flop: (t635) Hero is CO with 2 T
7 folds, justletme142 calls t115

Flop: (t750) A 5 2 (2 players)

Turn: (t750) Q (2 players)

River: (t750) J (2 players)

I didn't play this hand. No reason to get involved with this junk especially with an all in BB. He lost to the BB sitter anyway.

Hand #7
Poker Stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 8 players

Hero (MP2): t4210 M = 6.48
jimbo_nodak (CO): t1790 M = 2.75
justletme142 (BTN): t545 M = 0.84
mjhpierce (SB): t750 M = 1.15
hunterdown (BB): t855 M = 1.32
Razzys (UTG): t1175 M = 1.81
GMAN STUD 11 (UTG+1): t12985 M = 19.98
Bill Curran (MP1): t1485 M = 2.28

Pre Flop: (t650) Hero is MP2 with K 9
3 folds, Hero raises to t650, 3 folds, hunterdown raises to t830 all in, Hero calls t180

It folds to me and I have K9s. The big stack is already out of the way and I raise to 2.2 x. I want to play against one of the two micro stacks, but I'd rather not risk 1700 chips against jimbo, especially against his range. If he shoves I'd fold but if either of the micros goes all in, I happily call. Hunter obliges and I call with my ~10 to 1 odds. Honestly I probably should have just shoved, but having shoved 5 of the last 6, I guess I decide to try something different.

Flop: (t2010) 8 8 K (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: (t2010) K (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t2010) 7 (2 players - 1 is all in)

View all 7 hands

At this point I have 5365 chips. In the last 7 hands I went from 855 chips to 5365 chips.

I hope this helps a little. I figured this stuff out a lot better later in the month but this is the most recent applicable hand history I found. I'm also not saying I played all these hands perfectly (I didn't). There are some from the third and fourth week of March where I would say I played nearly perfect PSO poker.

The important thing is to know who's loose so you can bet/shove for value and who's tight so you can bet/shove for fold equity. Also my calling range was always wayyyy tighter than my shoving range.

Old
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
(#20)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Very interesting read, ori. I think a lot of PSO players miss out on spots like the ones you posted, simply because all they are worried about is points, and will avoid going all in until they absolutely have to. I can't really blame them for doing so, given the structure of the league, but they're hardly learning anything by doing so.

In regards to shoving range vs calling range, would you agree that in most cases a player's shoving range should be wider than his calling range?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com