Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Astronomer freeroll's

Old
Angry
Astronomer freeroll's - Mon May 30, 2011, 03:53 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
I don't expect anyone who has the power to respond to even read this, let alone act on this but here goes: the astronomer freerolls need MORE SEATS and be more often!

If you aren't familiar with them, these are the games in the Tourney--> Freeroll tab that are called stuff like 'Hubbles NL Hold-em freeroll' and 'Brahe's Budagi freeroll'. Now i like these, but they have two major problems for me.

1) as they are freerolls they fill up fast. Too fast. Take the latest Hold-em freeroll i had my eye on, new one was starting at 21:02, so just before 20:30, i load up Pokerstars, thinking i have more than enough time to register. Nope. More than half an hour before it even started, Its FULL! Daft!

2) whilst another one starts an hour after the last one started, most are variants of poker that i don't play. So in other words, if i miss one, i have to wait hours (and hours, and hours...) for another that i can be bothered to play.

Give us more freerolls, or at least ones with at least 15K seats, pokerstars.

There, one less rant over with.

Anyone else feel the same?

Old
Mon May 30, 2011, 05:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
Havoc, you need to direct your concern/request/suggestion to PokerStars rather than PSO, don't think anyone with any clout at PokerStars ventures in here and its not an issue that relates to PSO.

The Hubble being NL, the mainstay of most poker players diets, indeed fills up quickly but to extend the numbers wouldn't really resolve the problem, raise it by 3k entries it would still fill, raise it by 5k same again, where would you stop.

At present is has a cap of 9k players and takes somewhere in the region of 5 hrs to get to the ticket bubble for th Weekly Rd 2, extend the entrants to 15k and you could find yourself playing a freeroll for best part of a third of a day. Remember too that deeper fields also are going to drastically reduce your chances of making that ticket.

I'd certainly suggest looking to expand your poker base to cover the other formats, the Astronomers offers players an excellent opportunity to take part and learn most variants for no buy-in fee. When I started out at PS I built my BR playing them, gradually learning/improving in the variants until the formats of HORSE & 8Game became the primary ticket source as most entering these will only have a grasp of 2 or 3 variants at best.

At the end of the day, besides it turning dark, the Astronomers are free, take them for what they are and recognise that some variants will always be over subscribed and just try to be at the front of the queue when registration opens.

Good luck with them and with poker in general.

Old
Mon May 30, 2011, 05:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogweed1964 View Post
Havoc, you need to direct your concern/request/suggestion to PokerStars rather than PSO, don't think anyone with any clout at PokerStars ventures in here and its not an issue that relates to PSO.

The Hubble being NL, the mainstay of most poker players diets, indeed fills up quickly but to extend the numbers wouldn't really resolve the problem, raise it by 3k entries it would still fill, raise it by 5k same again, where would you stop.

At present is has a cap of 9k players and takes somewhere in the region of 5 hrs to get to the ticket bubble for th Weekly Rd 2, extend the entrants to 15k and you could find yourself playing a freeroll for best part of a third of a day. Remember too that deeper fields also are going to drastically reduce your chances of making that ticket.

I'd certainly suggest looking to expand your poker base to cover the other formats, the Astronomers offers players an excellent opportunity to take part and learn most variants for no buy-in fee. When I started out at PS I built my BR playing them, gradually learning/improving in the variants until the formats of HORSE & 8Game became the primary ticket source as most entering these will only have a grasp of 2 or 3 variants at best.

At the end of the day, besides it turning dark, the Astronomers are free, take them for what they are and recognise that some variants will always be over subscribed and just try to be at the front of the queue when registration opens.

Good luck with them and with poker in general.

+1 Bog,great reply.

I just want to emphasize 2 things Bog touched on here havoc...

First he's 100% right on how long the Hubbles takes to resolve itself (i.e. getting one of the 72 tickets for the Weekly Round 2) .Typically this takes around 5 hours as it is. And 72 tickets out of a field of 9000 is already long enough odds (8% of the field gets a ticket).You have to know when registration is going to open and jump in ASAP.

Secondly his second point is the single best advice that you can get vis-a-vis the Astronomers. LEARN the other disciplines and play them. If you can find a couple that you're decent at it's a much easier ticket than the Hubble's. I had never played 2-7 NL Single Draw in my life and got to the point where I was pretty much nabbing a ticket around 35-40% of the time in that game. Razz,5 card draw and ANY mixed games (especially 8 game) are also among the softer touches in the Astronomers. Read up on how to play these games,take a few lumps at first and stick with it and you'll soon be ahead of much of the field. You'd be amazed how many players sit down in these and have simply no clue on the rules or even the most rudimentary strategies in these games.

Plus the extra kicker is that if you're goal is to grind up a pennyroll and one day expand beyond that then finding a couple games in addition to NLHE where you can excel just increases your chances at being a winning player.

Good luck.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 02:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Yeah, I get what you mean guys. Just feel frustrated having to plan way in advance of the couple of variants that i do play. And honestly, I'm not that great at the ones i do play, so I'd rather improve on them than learn some more and only be half good at them too.

Like i said, it was half rant and half looking for other peoples thoughts, so thanks for the input.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 04:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
i used to play the NL holdem/ NL omaha hi/lo alot mate and found it the same as you that they both used to fill up in the first 15 mins of registering and found a way of making sure i was in time to reg. 1st i'd look at what times the registering started for my chosen tournys then i set my alarm on my phone to bleep 2 mins before each registering started that way i could go about my business with out constantly reminding myself and checking the site it worked a treat and never missed a tourney after that :-) also a good one to try were id get a ticket in 50% of the games i played in was the 2-7 tripple draw very good quick and easy mate. hope this helps you and good luck.
De Hitman.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com