Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Daniel Negreanu vs Jason Mercier - Great Hand

Old
Daniel Negreanu vs Jason Mercier - Great Hand - Tue May 31, 2011, 12:18 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
Watch the video of this great hand between Daniel Negreanu and Jason Mercier.

Watch Video Here.

Would you have acted the same way? What would you have done differently? Share your thoughts and feedback via this forum discussion about this hand.

Regards

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Administration

Last edited by PSO Admin; Tue May 31, 2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 12:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Not sure I like Daniel's line here. He's going to c-bet the flop frequently with air, I think he should c-bet this too. The announcer said he's checking because Jason is aggressive so he's hoping Jason will take the lead, but this flop texture misses them both frequently and Jason knows this, so by just making a standard c-bet he'll be able to extract calls from moderate made hands that are just going to check behind for pot control, plus extract value from floats and possible bluff raises. He doesn't have to go wild and play a huge pot with KK here, but a medium size pot would be warranted. As it was he made almost no money on the hand, only being helped by a favorable river. I did love the river bet sizing, 1700 into 1950 on a full house board is nice value.

I like Jason's call pre in position, it's standard. Not really a fan of his turn bet tbh. 225 into 1500 isn't going to fold out any better hands than his ace, and is not likely to get called by much worse either because worse would really be nothing. I think in Jason's shoes his ace is often the best hand but if we can't get better hands to fold or worse hands to call, we should just check back the turn as well and call a river bet.

Interesting hand 150 bb's deep.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 12:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
It's an interesting hand, but it seems a little standard to me. Daniel opened for 3x preflop- I imagine he figured it might confuse people who tried to read into why it wasn't a 2.2BB bet, while really it was just a cleverly veiled way to build the pot early to extract value on later streets. Jason only calling on his button seems pretty normal.

On the flop, Daniel was probably pretty confident in his hand, but I guess checking would be a good way to keep him from losing a lot all the time Jason actually flopped a raising hand, so that's pretty normal. Jason probably just checked it back for the most obvious reason: he didn't hit.

The turn was interesting, I thought. Daniel checked again, which was an effective way to control the pot and keep it small, given that his kings up were by no means a lock hand. I doubt he'd ever really fold to even a big bet by Jason there, so he was also opening the door to catching bluffs. Jason's micro-bet was pretty weird, but in reality, Daniel would probably have folded his unimproved suited connectors and other whiffed hands to it. My thinking is that Jason was betting the smallest amount he needed to in order to get Daniel to consider folding. I think that that was probably just a random move on Jason's part, and not something he does on a regular basis. I don't think it was necessary, but I imagine necessity wasn't the point.

On the river, Daniel made a standard pot-sized bet. He actually improved massively on the river to the fourth nuts, I think. Only quads or pocket aces for an overboat had him beat, and since his kings were pretty underrepped, Jason probably thought his ace-high would be good to at least chop the vast majority of the time. His call there wasn't in error at all, I think.

Overall, I think Jason just got the typical result of AQ running into KK. He lost. He could probably have checked the turn and run into a slightly better result, but it wasn't many chips anyway. I think a lot of amateurs would also try and bluff that turn, but most would unnecessarily bluff bigger, which against most opponents would probably be a mistake. The only other play that probably wouldn't have occurred to me would be Daniel's failure the bet the turn, but I'm pretty bet-happy and should probably tone that down.

Fun video.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I liked both preflop and on the flop. I also didn't get Jason's bet on the turn. With an A, I'd have been betting more than just a small bet that anyone is going to basically insta-call, I'd think more along the lines of 1/2 pot... as he's only behind JJ-AA, 9 or 10.

On the river. Daniel needs to and did lead out with a betsize that would typically be called by anyone that had an A for top 2-pair before the board turned into a full house. Jason also basically had to call it, as he's only losing to JJ, QQ, KK, AA or quad 10's. Yes, Daniel could have one of them, but he also very easily might not.

Dave, this one for sure fits into the 'noone ever folds a full house' theorem.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 12:47 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
Personally, I would bet the flop. There is a straight draw there, and normally, I'm not scared of a pair on the board very often. I understand wanting to keep pots small..but you definitely want to make some chips on a hand like KK.
Then on the turn, if you bet the flop and just got a call, a check may be in order. There is a straight draw and flush draw, but a call on the flop would make me concerned of a made boat on the turn. If Jason bets a relatively small amount..call. If he bets large after you bet the flop and check the turn, he may be bluffing, so it's a bit of a tough call...but if the price is right..you have to see the river.
The river exposes that Daniel is far ahead and he can make his value bet as he did.
I don't like Jason's call on the river at all. Daniel raised pre, and yes, his range is wide, but why call with air? Very possible for Daniel to have JJ through AA.
The tiny bet on the turn, and board texture, pretty much gives Daniel ammo to fire away with on the river.

One question...if Jason came over the top on the river..say for 3400...would you call if you were Daniel?

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 12:53 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
One question...if Jason came over the top on the river..say for 3400...would you call if you were Daniel?
I would. Only things that can beat you are the case 10 or AA. Jason didn't raise preflop, so I rule out AA... and will take my chances he doesn't have the 10.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 04:10 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Snap call. Our hand is seriously underrepped, and Jason is going to have some bluffs plus some value bets with worse (JJ/QQ) in his range when he raises this river.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Jason's micro-bet was pretty weird, but in reality, Daniel would probably have folded his unimproved suited connectors and other whiffed hands to it
Agreed, except that Daniel would have cbet the flop with those, or at worst delayed c-bet the turn. It wouldn't be like Daniel to raise pre then never take a shot post flop with air on a board that frequently misses his opponent.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 04:36 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
to me Mercier played it very fishy.. that funny raise... maybe I can take it down betting nothing, then the call of the almost potsized river bet, hoping his A was good... maybe because nobody gives Daniel credit for being good anymore?... I watched with no sound so I dont have a clue what they talked about later

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 04:42 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Jason is calling for half the pot, 1700 to win 975 (only possible results are he gets back half or none). He has to split the pot almost 2/3rds of the time for his call to be correct.

Old
Tue May 31, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Sounds -EV to me.. maybe because its early in the tourney he is gambling a bit?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com