Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Pso league sugestion

Old
Default
Pso league sugestion - Tue May 31, 2011, 08:15 PM
(#1)
PLaws62's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
this is my first full month in the league ,i get wound up like many players ,but must admit i get wound up cause i love the game,so because of some comments about the league,i have a simple sugestion,the first ten players out of any league match should get a manditory minus100,if you get a big reward for fist place give the same for first out ,may slow down some of the early all in

trying to make it stronger with sugestion not trying to shoot down the league,any other more productive thoughts ?

Last edited by PLaws62; Tue May 31, 2011 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
 
Old
Default
Tue May 31, 2011, 10:34 PM
(#2)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Don't think this would solve anything. The majority of players who have early exits don't care about points. And the rest likely got it in way ahead, thinking they were on their way to an early double up.
 
Old
Default
Tue May 31, 2011, 11:09 PM
(#3)
shirshot's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaws62 View Post
this is my first full month in the league ,i get wound up like many players ,but must admit i get wound up cause i love the game,so because of some comments about the league,i have a simple sugestion,the first ten players out of any league match should get a manditory minus100,if you get a big reward for fist place give the same for first out ,may slow down some of the early all in

trying to make it stronger with sugestion not trying to shoot down the league,any other more productive thoughts ?
So what your saying is if I get pocket Aces first hand flop trips and get knocked out by a bad player I deserve to lose a 100 points?
hmmm...

Last edited by shirshot; Fri Jun 03, 2011 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Cause all the cool kids are doing it. :)
 
Old
Default
Tue May 31, 2011, 11:19 PM
(#4)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
So what your saying is if I get pocket Aces first hand flop trips and get knocked out by a bad player I deserve to lose a 100 points?
hmmm

THAT'S WHAT THE MAN SAID

 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 04:15 AM
(#5)
gatehouse999's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 259
How about the previous months winner carries a $2
bounty on his or her head for the following month in each game they play.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 04:18 AM
(#6)
lisbon roar's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
So what your saying is if I get pocket Aces first hand flop trips and get knocked out by a bad player I deserve to lose a 100 points?
hmmm
Exactly what the hell are you doing playing first hour let alone with pocket rockets does anyone really want a rocket in their pocket.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 08:06 AM
(#7)
PokeGod185's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatehouse999 View Post
How about the previous months winner carries a $2
bounty on his or her head for the following month in each game they play.
i think that sounds like a good idea. i think PSO should get rid of the prize structure completely. its stupid when every hand you have to wait 5 mins for your go coz every1 running down the clock every hand just to try and get ITM. its not poker at all. its stupid childs play.

instead do as the above quote says, but put it staggered on the top 3 finishers of the previous month. that way the best are hunted down for the money, and it will stop the stupid patheitic 'lets run the clock down every hand coz ive played rubbish all tourney and am desperate for a few extra points' game people play and get the game flowing like a proper poker game. its meant to be a skill league and there aint nothing skillful about running the clock down every hand.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 08:43 AM
(#8)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Even though you are a Man U fan Poke, I will have to disagree.

Skill in the PSO league is not about how good you think you are at poker, whether or not you use the clock, it is not about thinking you played brilliantly in one tourney, or that as you see it, your opponent played rubbish throughout because he used the clock.

The skill in the league is based on the points you score over the course of a month, whether you played one tournament or two hundred tournaments, whether you used the clock or not: the goal, the objective, the skill is to score more points than anyone else using whatever legitimate means are at your disposal.

Now if you cannot handle that fact, if people legitimately using the clock pisses you off so much, if you are not desperate to win the most points you can in every PSO tournament, using the rules to your best possible advantage, then go and play in some freerolls, play some other tournament go to another site. Do whatever makes your little heart buzz with the joys of spring, but never, never ridicule people that are playing within the rules of the game.

If we took your thinking to it's ultimate conclusion, then we should deduct Man U points for every game they drew this season by holding on and running the clock, we should disallow every goal they scored in injury time, we should deduct extra points off them for every time a Liverpool fan thought they played rubbish and won. We should remove every title from the record book because a lot of people don't really like Man U. How would you feel in your brave new world? Not too happy.

People who do not cut it always have some reason to complain. Look at the time you are given as a gift, you can classify your opponents, you have ample time to take notes on their play, their hand ranges, you can improve your own game and your patience and maybe one month win the PSO Skill League.

Have you the determination and will to succeed to do it?
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#9)
PokeGod185's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Even though you are a Man U fan Poke, I will have to disagree.

Skill in the PSO league is not about how good you think you are at poker, whether or not you use the clock, it is not about thinking you played brilliantly in one tourney, or that as you see it, your opponent played rubbish throughout because he used the clock.

The skill in the league is based on the points you score over the course of a month, whether you played one tournament or two hundred tournaments, whether you used the clock or not: the goal, the objective, the skill is to score more points than anyone else using whatever legitimate means are at your disposal.

Now if you cannot handle that fact, if people legitimately using the clock pisses you off so much, if you are not desperate to win the most points you can in every PSO tournament, using the rules to your best possible advantage, then go and play in some freerolls, play some other tournament go to another site. Do whatever makes your little heart buzz with the joys of spring, but never, never ridicule people that are playing within the rules of the game.

If we took your thinking to it's ultimate conclusion, then we should deduct Man U points for every game they drew this season by holding on and running the clock, we should disallow every goal they scored in injury time, we should deduct extra points off them for every time a Liverpool fan thought they played rubbish and won. We should remove every title from the record book because a lot of people don't really like Man U. How would you feel in your brave new world? Not too happy.

People who do not cut it always have some reason to complain. Look at the time you are given as a gift, you can classify your opponents, you have ample time to take notes on their play, their hand ranges, you can improve your own game and your patience and maybe one month win the PSO Skill League.

Have you the determination and will to succeed to do it?
firstly im glad ive met a fellow Man Utd fan here

secondly, i appreciate that parts of the skill is in the points scored over the course of the month and that you need to hang in there to get as many as you can, but when practically every player on every table on every hand when it gets to around 100 people left is just sitting there waiting for the clock to run down its rubbish poker. there is no skill involved in that at all.
yes its in the rules, yes you can do it but just coz you can doesnt make it right.

i was merely pointing out that the format used presently just serves to slow down the play and that i think there is other better options out there that would make the league better, in my opinion.

all i was doing was agreeing with someones post and adding to it my own suggestions, gained from my own experiences of the league thus far, in my own opinion. if you dont agree with that then fine, im not asking you to. but there is no room or place for comments such as "People who do not cut it always have some reason to complain"

i was making suggestions that i am perfectly entitled to do and if you cant reply with anything constructive then dont bother replying at all. im suprised from you as it wasnt many posts ago that i saw you argue with someone else for not replying with constructive posts and just cussing other peoples posts. so which are you. the pot or the kettle?

Last edited by PokeGod185; Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 10:54 AM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#10)
HAPPYSAP's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatehouse999 View Post
How about the previous months winner carries a $2
bounty on his or her head for the following month in each game they play.
That would not be very fair on them having every donk in the league hounding his head for $2.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:09 AM
(#11)
abdi122's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirshot View Post
So what your saying is if I get pocket Aces first hand flop trips and get knocked out by a bad player I deserve to lose a 100 points?
hmmm

That's what I think He Said, or maybe it was kings and you flop quads and they Quad Aces on your Ass

Both ways, this is what the man is saying
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 12:38 PM
(#12)
Brizer73's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 270
I agree with HAPPYSAP - there are enough loonies playing crazy poker in the 1st 15 or 30 mins - So to have a bounty on the previous month's winner is in itself not a bad idea - It would be totally unfair to have every1 at the table and on the tournament gunning for you ( if u came 1st last month). I Really enjoy bounty games and play in Effsea's Drunk Tank on a friday night/ sat morn - What if you had to pay a nominal fee of say 1 or 2 cents (every entrant) and put a bounty on the top 100 or 250 of last months league ?? Probably won't happen as not every 1 has cash on there account but the idea is a good 1 if it does'nt just apply to 1 player.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 01:51 PM
(#13)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Well you have edited your original post so it is somewhat difficult to make a measured reply. However you intimated there that you were not ridiculing slow players but ridiculing the format and that I had misinterpreted what you had said:

Quote:
instead do as the above quote says, but put it staggered on the top 3 finishers of the previous month. that way the best are hunted down for the money, and it will stop the stupid patheitic 'lets run the clock down every hand coz ive played rubbish all tourney and am desperate for a few extra points' game people play and get the game flowing like a proper poker game. its meant to be a skill league and there aint nothing skillful about running the clock down every hand.
To me it sounded like ridiculing slow players, but if you said it is just the format I believe you.

But then your second paragraph in your reply reiterates that perhaps my original interpretation and reading of what you wrote was indeed correct:

Quote:
secondly, i appreciate that parts of the skill is in the points scored over the course of the month and that you need to hang in there to get as many as you can, but when practically every player on every table on every hand when it gets to around 100 people left is just sitting there waiting for the clock to run down its rubbish poker. there is no skill involved in that at all.
yes its in the rules, yes you can do it but just coz you can doesnt make it right.
So which is it? There is no right or wrong in poker. If I sat down at a table were they were playing a 100 miles an hour and said "I know you can play as fast as you like and its not against the rules, and you can do it but just because you can do it, it does not make it right" they would fall about laughing.

As far slow play is concerned when it gets down to a 100, I did notice it increase towards the end of the month. I slow play every hand in PSO but if I am short stacked and the others slow it down to hit me with the bigger blind, I know it is just part of poker, I take it in my stride and adapt as best I can.

As for the "People who do not cut it always have some reason to complain" comment it was a generalism applicable to football, poker, life itself.

You are entitled to your opinion on slow play, as Plaws is entitled to his opinion on donks, but do you really both believe that both these facets of the game do not appear outside the confines of PSO. This is a school to help prepare you for playing for money where you will meet every type of player and every type of situation; changing it so that it does not reflect the "real poker world" would be an absolute disaster for anyone trying to play poker.

I made a point in another thread about so many people not knowing about the PSO Skill League, even though they play in the League!!! However, I am not naive enough to believe that getting them all to learn about the game here will stop all of them being maniacs. All in ATCs is a strategy I play against and sometimes employ in other tournies. It is a fact of the game, just like slow play, you just have to accept it and deal with it, because if you carry around either monkey on your back you will never progress. And i honestly want everyone to be the best player that they possibly can be build a bankroll and make some money and off course Pokerstars will make some rake. Win, win for everybody!!!!

Quote:
i was making suggestions that i am perfectly entitled to do and if you cant reply with anything constructive then dont bother replying at all. im suprised from you as it wasnt many posts ago that i saw you argue with someone else for not replying with constructive posts and just cussing other peoples posts. so which are you. the pot or the kettle?
Read more: Pso league sugestion - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1O32uGI8T


As far as your last paragraph, I will rise to the bait, because I think you are talking about the spat between Ray Vareck and myself over Top PSO players. The argument was decided on the tables after we both saw some sense and I am sure Ray has been persuaded that my opinion was the right one.

And it is the right one here too, you are welcome to yours but I am just saying you are wrong and I am entitled to say that. I have tried to add something constructive to the debate. I am 100% sure that the PSO league or tournies should not be changed in any way as it will be detrimental to the development of good poker players both in PSO and beyond it.

Good luck PokeGod and good to debate this with another Man U fan.

TC

And finally could someone tell me how to use multiquote because I am damned if i can get it to work and i am tired of copying and pasting quotes.


TC

Last edited by topthecat; Wed Jun 01, 2011 at 01:56 PM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 02:45 PM
(#14)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
And finally could someone tell me how to use multiquote because I am damned if i can get it to work and i am tired of copying and pasting quotes.
Next to the "QUOTE" button, there's a button that looks like a piece of paper. Click on that for each post you want to quote. Then hit reply, and all the quotes should appear in the text box for you.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:29 PM
(#15)
PLaws62's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 329
maybe that was not a good idea ,sounded good last night,new month first hand KK all in all out big minus lol


well we all seem th enjoy the game so lets try to impprove our play,sorry man u ,shame about wembly ..................go black cats lol
 
Old
Default
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:52 PM
(#16)
DeViLBoY452's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 52
BronzeStar
heres a suggestion... how about we switch the blinds to 15 minutes length instead of 10 minutes. Its be better for the more skillful players which is a good thing since this is a SKILL league.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 07:43 AM
(#17)
PokeGod185's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 38
Hey TC.

My problem with the running down the clock is that it doesnt happen anywhere else that i have ever played or even seen.

I have seen, as im sure you have, videos of the WSOP and Aussie millions, PCA etc. you never see the pros (or even the amateurs that have progressed deep enough) running the clock down every hand when it gets near the money. Can you honestly imagine if they did!!! how boring do you think that would make the tourney if for the next hour or so you saw like 4 hands because everyone was just sitting there running down the clock. and theres a reason they dont do it - its not good poker.
you will of course get 1 or 2 doing it if they are stupidly short stacked and are just desperate to make the money etc and thats ok. you expect that.
But in this league practically everyone does it, every hand on every table when down to about 100 players.
You even have players on the table telling everyone else on the table to slow down and actively do this!!

Answer me this - how is that anything to do with any kind of skill? pretty much everyone is doing it on every table when at about the 100 player mark so no-one is actually gaining anything, it is just serving to slow everything down which kind of defeats the object doesn't it? if everyone is doing it no-one is gaining!
you say that this league prepares you for real money events and in most ways that is true, but you just dont see this running the clock down in real life to the extent it is done here.

I think the way the league is run etc is brilliant apart from this one little thing that only happens here. i truelly believe that if they could find a way of modify just that part of it then the tourneys would run more true to normal tourneys and events.

oh and i wasnt on about you and Vareck it was you and hemetdennis. where he replyed to someone, lets say in a non-constructive way, and you pulled him up on it saying its pointless replying in that manner, serves no purpose etc etc etc

good luck on the tables

Last edited by PokeGod185; Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: forgot bottom bit
 
Old
Default
Fri Jun 03, 2011, 06:59 AM
(#18)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Hi PokeGod,

I am pretty sure apart from the live feeds that most shows are edited to appeal to the audience so you will not see all the play at all the tables, only the feature table and no one wants to look bad on TV.

I have seen slow play here on plenty of German freeroll satties to other events and also the open collusion amongst players telling each other to slow down and sharing the blinds. I even blogged about it here. At least I have not seen the sharing the blinds carry on spoken about openly on PSO.

I am staunchly against any type of speech play (and I will post about that in another thread) but this is more than speech play.

I will give you the reasons for slow play when it is near the end of the month: even a few places can make a huge difference in points and this can be the difference between say 30$ and 50$. Therefore people will play slowly to ensure they gain points and it pressurises the really short stacks, who face bigger and bigger blinds. It is just like a satty and trying to qualify not to win. You don’t care if no one is gaining chips, just as long as other people are going out and you are gaining more points!!!

Many players here have adopted a slow play approach combined with some other tactics throughout all the PSO tournies they play (both now and prior to Black Friday); they’re not doing it for fun but to achieve certain goals. I will let you work out what they are for yourself but lets just say that most of these players finish consistently in the top 100 every month. And yes it requires skill, discipline, concentration, determination, hard work and patience which will certainly improve your poker performance in other formats. And people will continue with this approach until someone comes up with another way of winning consistently on PSO.

I once thought myself, quite early on here, that decreasing the payout would remove donks, that increasing it would stop slow play but came to the conclusion that the current format although not perfect is the best that there is. What changed my mind was a promotion PSO had for WSOP Main Event package, all the sharks came on board and registered here, and the target audience of the PSO League players did not get a look in. A shark who habitually final tables the Sunday Million won the prize.

This is a school, we are here to learn and improve and there are many who will spend a great deal of personal time and effort off their own bat to help other players. At the end of the day individuals choose to take that advice or play their own way.

I have played with many skilled players both here and in Home Games, spoken with many who are pure Poker aficionados but I have only played with one who seems to have an automatic poker sixth sense: it is as if he can see all the cards. That player is DR3 and it is also the reason I am so disappointed he did not play the final day in the league.

And becoming a great poker player or the best you can is not just about talent. Have you heard of Judd Trump in snooker, Tiger Woods in golf, Hamilton/Vettel in Formula 1, Federer in tennis? All these people are blessed with natural ability and they have a head start, but it is the work ethic, dedication and determination not just the talent that makes them the best or amongst the best. Before coming into public view these people were grinding out 12 hour days, 365 days a year at their chosen activity from an early age and they are still grafting in order to stay at the top. Poker is the same and the rewards are huge but you can have all the talent in the world but if you are not totally driven you will never be the best.

My advice for what it is worth is to adapt and learn, and if the slow play irks you so much play a few other games at the same time. However, the best advice is to just remain calm and focused, do not let it affect your play on the table, if you must, vent about it here…. I do that myself. And remember every style of play had it’s own inherent weakness, you have to recognise the style and then play a strategy that will best exploit those weaknesses.

GL at the tablets,

TC

PS. Dennis is just Darth Vader without the helmet (not an insult, just taking the mick a bit) and I don’t like to see anyone being picked on unnecessarily which is why I argued with him.
 
Old
Default
Read this andy - Fri Jun 03, 2011, 08:17 AM
(#19)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Andy,

Hopefully this will give you some insight to the use of slowplay in the League

Thanks

TC
 
Old
Default
?? - Fri Jun 03, 2011, 09:01 AM
(#20)
monkeyskunk4's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,818
Top is right on point here- you should listen- and trust me- i hated the stalling till i saw the light a few months back-- the pso games - if played to get maximum value- (points) must be played the same as a satty- and if you are playing satellites and not using your clock to manipulate the blinds- then you are not playing them correctly-- imo-- gl-- monk..
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com