Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Is it a lack of focus ?

Old
Is it a lack of focus ? - Wed Jun 01, 2011, 04:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
May what a bumpy ride that was, I played 60 ish league games averages about 2 a day, My problem is I spend so much time fighting to get in ITM by the time I have got there I dont have enough chips to make a decent run at getting to the final table. I have finished in a decent position for the month but quite clearly my lack of skill to progress to the final tables is killing my chances. I could have done a graph to show the problem but 3 reasons stop me, 1. Cant be arsed, 2. One of my crayons are blunt and 3. You cant have a graph where the line keeps falling off the bottom of the page. I would appreciate any advice as there are a lot of good players out there.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm not a league player, but as I understand the system, you don't need to make final table runs to score big in the league. Maybe for a top 5 spot you do, but if you're playing enough and ITM'ing enough, you're doing great. I'm sure someone more informed than me will give you a better answer.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:49 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
You just need to get to the points on a regular basis and avoid early exits.In May I only cashed a few times, but got to the points on a regular consistent basis, and managed to get $30, which is good for me, because up until last month I was only getting to the $3 or $5 level of payouts.
It seems the exodus of US players has helped.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
The difference between ITM and fourth place is marginal Gate in terms of points. And it is all about points.

I play a strategy, gleaned from those more in the know than I am, and if you are willing to put that time, effort, patience and dedication into every tourney you play you will hit 50$ every month. With a bit of good fortune you will make top ten.

You got 50$ this month from sixty games which is an excellent result. I played against you a few times and you may have noticed me crawling Into the money, being short stacked after an hour or two, playing virtually no hands but it is a strategy that works.

I ended up being 6 points off top place for less than 50 games. There are a few hands where if I had went in with dirt I would have won big pots and maybe got in the money two more times, but for the two times I would have got ITM playing loose, I would have been out of the money another 10 times.

Twice yesterday, I had the nut flush draw on the flop, once when short stacked, once early on and let it pass both times to conserve chips when put all in. I did not get ITM in either tourney and those two hands have been bugging me ever since. If I had won both those hands I would probably have been well over 1910 points but if I had lost them I would not even have made 50$.

I console myself with the fact that consistent winning players do not chase draws or straights if their life is on the line; they wait for the better spots.

My normal game is nothing like what I play on PSO and I mix it up big time, but I will let you into a little secret: I have won hands on PSO with absolute air uncontested; I have won contested hands with absolute crapola maybe three or four times in a row close to the money just because I gambled at the right moment and the cards came my way. Some might call it luck but I call it timing.

I will not play more than 30 to 40 games in June, but I will tell you something, with a few refinements to my strategy, I believe that I can still win it.

Take from it what you will gate, but you are on the right track already

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 08:28 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Thanks Top for your kind words and advice, I hope to follow most of it and chase you up the leaderboard at some time, Take care and again thanks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com