Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Phil Ivey Not playing wsop

Old
Thumbs up
Phil Ivey Not playing wsop - Wed Jun 01, 2011, 05:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Interesting hearing about Phil Ivey standing up for players not getting paid on the ``site that shall not be mentioned``.

http://news.bluffmagazine.com/phil-i...ng-wsop-20981/

Here`s a sample of what he has said for those that don`t feel like reading the entire article,

``I am deeply disappointed and embarrassed that Full Tilt players have not been paid money they are owed. I am equally embarrassed that as a result many players cannot compete in tournaments and have suffered economic harm. I am not playing in the World Series of Poker as I do not believe it is fair that I compete when others cannot. I am doing everything I can to seek a solution to the problem as quickly as possible.``

Has any1 heard of any other well known pro`s protesting this years wsop?

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:22 AM
(#2)
I'm impressed with him, he's a class act. I think he's probably hoping that this causes "the site" to find a way of paying out the players before the WSOP main event starts, and if they do he will probably register and play.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:34 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I found this comment interesting:

Bryan says:
June 1, 2011 at 1:32 am
Quote:
Wow. All I can see is a guy who is stabbing the people who made him ungodly rich in the back so that he can look good when they all look like ****. Way to jump ship, your lawsuit will do nothing to get people paid out faster and will probably only hinder the process. People need to chill out, its only been 6 weeks! Neteller took 9 months, and honestly, and playing in the post UIGEA world, I have no sympathy for delays in payouts, nor can I get mad about my money frozen.
There were a few more interesting comments, including someone giving the 'get a real job' speech. This one gives a pretty fair counterarguement, though.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:00 AM
(#4)
Yeah there are some interesting arguments on either side. I personally think that if Ftilt really does end up shafting its american players as it is appearing.... then they deserve all the backstabbing they get

Tom Dwans approach though,

"I'll be playing wsop. Feel fine about that morally b/c I've already said I'll give back 100% I ws paid by ftp if players aren't paid in full"

He obviously doesn't have to do this but a very nice gesture. I don't think any of these pro's should "feel" obligated to give back. He was earning a living, plain and simple.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:04 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
I am withdrawing from the WSOP this year on the same grounds as Ivey

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:15 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I am withdrawing from the WSOP this year on the same grounds as Ivey

lol

You are a true inspiration to us all. May your moral compass maintain a steady course in all your endeavours.

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:57 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2007
Thank you Sens,

Your words are very much appreciated

TC

Old
Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:41 AM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
His full statement is here:

http://www.philivey.com/

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:48 AM
(#9)
The plot thickens

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/0...suit-10506.htm

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 01:54 AM
(#10)
The article says that Ivey is suing for $150 million? Wow. Regardless of the merit of Ivey's case, Tilt is not looking good to me right now. Even if their defense to Ivey's allegations is rock-solid, the tone of their response is just horrible given that they're looking pretty shady as an organization to begin with. I have a feeling that if Tilt gets back to the US market, its customer base will be significantly smaller than it would have been if not for the cashout issue.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 06:00 AM
(#11)
This could get really nasty after tiltware's issued statement.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 07:27 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Phil Ivey I heard of this for the first time Sunday night, but wasn't sure what I'd put when I posted it.

Since then, I've had a chance to maul it over in the hatrack, and I still have mixed feelings. This is a true class player with a big following, and because of that, I applaud him, but on the other hand, you don't just not play the biggest Series in poker. This would be like D Wayne Lukas withdrawing a horse from the triple crown because a horse should have got there, but didn't. You don't give up on your dreams because someone else can't chase their dreams.

Anyways, who keeps all their eggs in 1 basket?

Like I said, mixed feelings. A nice gesture, but really, is it going to get any of these players paid out, not likely, but it may slow the process, as now FT has to lay out cash for lawyers to fight this thing, tying up more of their money, don't know what he was thinking.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 07:34 AM
(#13)
Since: Mar 2011
Glad to see one of the biggest names in poker is willing to speak up and take a stand for the 'small guy' he had my respect as a player but now as a person nice to see

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 07:46 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
Like I said, mixed feelings. A nice gesture, but really, is it going to get any of these players paid out, not likely, but it may slow the process, as now FT has to lay out cash for lawyers to fight this thing, tying up more of their money, don't know what he was thinking.

I think I am in the same boat stake. My initial reaction was something along the lines of "Cool someone sticking up for the folks who got shafted". However, the more I read into it, the more confused I get. This actually seems to be achieving the exact opposite of what he says his intentions were.

I officially admit I have no idea if his intentions were purely selfless or completely selfish
I think after years of watching the news and seeing all the greed on this planet, I am truly confused as to where people stand any more. I think I will file this one under the "I hope his intentions were pure" category and cross my fingers for all the American victims in this mess who stand to lose significant money.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#15)
(Head Trainer)
http://www.youtube.com/user/QuadJacksdotcom

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:44 PM
(#16)
Catchy song. That's gotta be the umpteenth lyrical reworking of 'We Didn't Start the Fire' I've heard. Always fun to listen to.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 12:59 PM
(#17)
lol good song

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#18)
Since: Jul 2010
thought some peeps might like to hear tilt's reply. I copied and pasted from POKER NEWS GLOBAL

With that said, here is Tiltware’s statement in its entirety:

“Contrary to his sanctimonious public statements, Phil Ivey’s meritless lawsuit is about helping just one player – himself. In an effort to further enrich himself at the expense of others, Mr. Ivey appears to have timed his lawsuit to thwart pending deals with several parties that would put money back in players’ pockets. In fact, Mr. Ivey has been invited -- and has declined -- to take actions that could assist the company in these efforts, including paying back a large sum of money he owes the site. Tiltware doubts Mr. Ivey’s frivolous and self-serving lawsuit will ever get to court. But if it does, the company looks forward to presenting facts demonstrating that Mr. Ivey is putting his own narrow financial interests ahead of the players he professes to help.”

Read more: http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/0...suit-10506.htm

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:57 PM
(#19)
Since: Jul 2010
sorry for the re-post, didn't see in 1rst thread. sorry all

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 06:11 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
SO HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK HE OWES THEM

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com