Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

Player conduct

Old
Player conduct - Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:37 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hello,

this is mij first post here, so hello to everyone...

Excuse my english, because it's not my native language and I don't feel like checking everything I've written.

I started playing poker just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm pretty new at the game. I stumbled upon PSO (so May was my first month playing here) and thought: that's a nice concept. You get a league to motivate you and other players how are willing to learn and help each other. So I joined (and yeah I ended up 28th place (sry, had to say that, 'cause I'm a little bit proud of myself ))

But now here is the thing....the pleasure of playing here or playing at all is being killed by the way people behave themselves at the table. You get swearing, you get called names, people bashing other players, observers who join in in that "fun" way of acting and so on.

I think this is just disrepectful and as I said it takes a way the pleasure. Luckely it doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes you get a nice positive table. But in my opinion it happens a lot.

I understand people get frustrated and in frustration say something they shouldn't (I probably have these moments myself). But there are also players around who do this on a regular basis.

What I also find disturbing, is that it seems to be accepted behaviour. If someone starts acting up, people seem to think it's funny with the "hahaha" and "lol" comments or simply join in. Only a few tell these payers to behave, which is a shame (and my respect for those who do).

And on this forum it seems to be the same. I've read it and it's more about bashing each other, and telling other people how bad and stupid they are. Why not make it a possitive forum, with some possitive criticism?

Off course I can turn off the chat (and sometimes I do, so if someone has something nice to say and I don't respond, sorry for that), but then I also miss the chat at the nice tables (I'm not very chatty myself, and with these type of things going on even less so, but I like it when people are having fun). And I can simply not read this forum (and no worries, I'll pobably will). But I think that's a shame, because PSO is a nice concept.

One asks for suggestions on this forum, so here are a few.

I think there should be more social control at the table (if that is the rigt word for it). I mean people telling other people to behave, instead of everybody keeping quiet or laughing with the remarks made and even joining in.

Maybe ,besides the reward for your ranking, there should be a reward for one player a month for good sportsmanship (personally I have no need for that, but it might motivate people to take action).

Furthermore I'd like to see more action from PSO. I know you van call a mod to the table from pokerstars, but PSO itself can do more I think. In tennis, when there is bad player conduct, you get a warning, and then a reduction in points up to the point you simply loose the match. PSO works with points, so why not reduce them when there is bad player conduct (after a warning). Maybe you can even block a player from taking part in PSO for a day or even longer (simply take away their ticket).

Instead of making an article on how to bet and tactics in poker and so on, and live training about that, do a topic on player conduct (I looked it op in the library (just a bit, so if i missed some articles, sry for that), but there is very litle to be found on that (just about next to nothing).

I think that you can do a lot against this kind of behaviour and I hope there will be more done against it, from both PSO and other players here. And if PSO wants to educate pokerplayers end the players here really want to learn, it's better to greate a positive atmosphere then the kind of things that I see going on now.

And now I'm tired of writting, so in conclusion think about what your mother might have said in the past: "You can go play, but you play nice.....and be home in time for dinner and don't ruin those pants"

See you at the tables

With kind regards,

Unha

Last edited by unha2011; Thu Jun 02, 2011 at 06:19 AM..

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Well first up welcome, Unha. And for someone who's native language isn't English, your post was composed very well.

As for the bad conduct, unfortunately the only thing I can suggest is when people get lippy towards each other, turn of the chat and report it. Personally, I I'm somewhat amused by it, and get a kind of shameful joy out of watching other players throw a tantrum.

I also read a thread (can't remember where, probably here) in which a player complained about receiving insults after beating a player in a hand. Another player on the forum simply suggested to take it as a compliment, in that you could take it as a sign of how badly you beat them that they would go into a fit rage.

But with all that said and done, I will say that there are good players out there, that do use the chat properly, saying things like "gh" (good hand) "gl" (good luck) and "gg" (good game), so don't let the ones with no good graces ruin you experience, because in the end, that would mean they've won.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 10:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome unha and congrats on your great first month here!

This place is loaded with great people and players, but like any large social group, there are always going to be a few bad apples trying to spoil the whole bunch.

Here's my suggestion for you, or any player really.
With the amount of time that players spend here, we need to use some of that time to do a couple things. If we all did these consistently, it would help to eradicate the types of behaviors we find undesirable or unethical.
First , I don't suggest turning off chat. After all, you yourself enjoy chatting, so don't let someone else "win" by taking that aspect of your entertainment away. Just individually block chat. When you do block someone's chat, put a note on the player too, explaining to yourself that it's chat, on this player, that you don't like. Then you could even give them a second chance perhaps and note that as well. To block chat individually, right click on the player, and select block chat.
Second, report chat violations to chat@pokerstars.com or support@pokerstars.com and include hand histories in your emails, which will include all chat.
These both take a couple minutes to do, but if everyone did this, along with reporting any rules violations to support, the violators would become repeat offenders and eventually would not be playing on the site any longer. It just takes consistent vigilance.
I don't think you'll be seeing etiquette "police" being assigned a position anytime..after all, that is what mods really do..so we just have to report stuff to them that we see. We, as a group, see way more than they possibly can, so we need to do our part in order to help make, and keep, this a place that we all enjoy.

Welcome again Cartman!!! You kick azz!
Best o' luck!

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Welcome unha and congrats on your great first month here!

This place is loaded with great people and players, but like any large social group, there are always going to be a few bad apples trying to spoil the whole bunch.

Here's my suggestion for you, or any player really.
With the amount of time that players spend here, we need to use some of that time to do a couple things. If we all did these consistently, it would help to eradicate the types of behaviors we find undesirable or unethical.
First , I don't suggest turning off chat. After all, you yourself enjoy chatting, so don't let someone else "win" by taking that aspect of your entertainment away. Just individually block chat. When you do block someone's chat, put a note on the player too, explaining to yourself that it's chat, on this player, that you don't like. Then you could even give them a second chance perhaps and note that as well. To block chat individually, right click on the player, and select block chat.
Second, report chat violations to chat@pokerstars.com or support@pokerstars.com and include hand histories in your emails, which will include all chat.
These both take a couple minutes to do, but if everyone did this, along with reporting any rules violations to support, the violators would become repeat offenders and eventually would not be playing on the site any longer. It just takes consistent vigilance.
I don't think you'll be seeing etiquette "police" being assigned a position anytime..after all, that is what mods really do..so we just have to report stuff to them that we see. We, as a group, see way more than they possibly can, so we need to do our part in order to help make, and keep, this a place that we all enjoy.

Welcome again Cartman!!! You kick azz!
Best o' luck!
It Doesn`t Work Like That In The Real World, Watch The Pros On TV And They Do Exactly The Same, But Because They Are Pros, People Laugh At Them And Say Its What They Do To Get Info On Their Opponents,Why Not Change Pokerstars Name To " Play With Granny,A Wonderful Time Had By All, OO ERR"

Old
Fri Jun 03, 2011, 07:06 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonarmy1566 View Post
It Doesn`t Work Like That In The Real World, Watch The Pros On TV And They Do Exactly The Same, But Because They Are Pros, People Laugh At Them And Say Its What They Do To Get Info On Their Opponents,Why Not Change Pokerstars Name To " Play With Granny,A Wonderful Time Had By All, OO ERR"
So I guess your granny is the only one in your family with some decent behaviour? How nice for you....

And if people try to get info within the rules of conduct, I don't care. But verbal abuse isn't within the rules of conduct.

And the real world? Try the verbal abuse in the real world and sooner or later, probably sooner, you'll be searching for your teeth on the floor because you did it to the wrong guy (or the right one)

But here, since everybody is sitting safe behind their little screens, they can just rant away, letting go of their frustrations of their lives where they have nothing to say but "yes sir, I will, do it right away sir"

And since you consider television the real world, I watch it too. There isn't any verbal abuse or they get a warning, They don''t get into other peoples hands during play, or they get called upon it. Yes they mess with other peoples minds, but within the rules of conduct.

So don't try to make it like everything is allowed, because it isn't. And if your at a decent table and you think it's granny poker, well, that says more about you then about the game.

Old
Fri Jun 03, 2011, 07:17 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
+1 unha2011

And congrats And Toon is just playing with your mind. Sometimes saying nought is the best thing and not being dragged into a slanging match.

GL at the tables.

TC

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com