Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

PSO League Small Stack Call

Old
PSO League Small Stack Call - Thu Jun 02, 2011, 08:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011

Was this an OK call? Kind of desperate trying to defend the big blind, was smallest or next to smallest stack in the tournament at this point. This was after the bubble and only 30 players were left of 500 or so. I put him on KJ, QJ or similar so I already knew I was probably calling into death but I thought my chances were pretty low after this hand if I had folded anyway.

Odds calculator: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...c?sitId=145448

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here are the key points. First, it's AFTER the bubble... so now, your only goal is to get to the top 3 and to do that, you need to be accumulating chips. Second, you've got 1BB left from the BB.... basically you need to push ATC.

Best case scenario for you is that you're isolated against only 1 other hand (will improve your chance to win the hand).
You are able to get this and have suited cards.... therefore, even with it being a 29s, it's an auto-ship for me.

That's the time of the tourney that you need to be alot looser and have to put your chips in more often, as there is not a very large point differential between finishing 4th and being the first player ITM.... so it's worth the risk to accumulate chips.

Do not look at it as defending your blind (that thought process will get you into deep, deep trouble in tournies and is one of the worst things you can be doing). At your point in the tourney, especially a PSO tourney, the only goal is to accumulate a big chip stack to try to get to the top 3.

If it was a money mtt, then the other thing you'd need to look at is where the pay level jumps are. In that case, if folding it to get to the next hand can get me a decent jump in the payout, then I may consider mucking it to get the extra money. That's the one and only situation where you may want to muck it.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 04:43 PM
(#3)
Thx, thought it was a decent call.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
My question is how did you get this short in the BB? I frequently push about 85% with 2BB from EP.

Old
Thu Jun 02, 2011, 05:43 PM
(#5)
Yes, I definitely could have played more. People opened before me almost every single hand and I waited too long for better cards.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com