Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Playing Pocket Aces

Old
Playing Pocket Aces - Sat Jun 04, 2011, 01:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
Hello all, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the hand analysis forum, but it's mostly a general question and I'm not referring to any specific hand I played so that's why I chose here.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on playing pocket Aces in the beginning stages of a SNG. I've had a few situations in which I have been dealt pocket rockets on the first hand, which makes me a bit nervous because I feel like I can either get a good amount of chips, or lose a lot by not letting go of the hand. I also feel like it's hard to get good value from them so early since the blinds are so low.

Old
Sat Jun 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
early in any tourney, you need to make a preflop raise (I'll normally raise to between 250 and 500) with them that will get some of the others to drop. You want to be isolated against one other hand if possible, because the win % for AA will go down trememdously, the more that are in the hand.
If you push all-in immediately, then it will be a total crapshoot with them if you get multiple callers. If you raise and an opponent pushes back, then it's correct to go all-in but you really only want to be all-in preflop against 1 hand, not multiple.

Old
Sat Jun 04, 2011, 03:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
okay, sounds good, and it makes sense. I will definitely keep that in mind for next time. Thanks!

Old
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
aces always need to be raised preflop as you are ahead all of the time if pot has been opened then reraise ,3bet , 4 bet whatever you need to do but never call or fold preflop with aces once the flop comes i would always advice to lead into a pot (about 60% ) if there is 3 or less other players in the pot then if you are reraised i could recomend to look at the flop i would concider calling or reraiseing based on the risk on the board then if there is a lot of options on the turn for your opponents range i would be c/c or c/f the flop if it is still a low risk board i would be leading in for about 50% of the pot then with the view of check calling or betting the river

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com