Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Is this a scoring error?

Old
Is this a scoring error? - Sun Jun 05, 2011, 06:06 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi all, had a look before any one starts screaming search at me so I dont think this has been covered - if it has I am very sorry but here goes......

Scenario:

1) PSO starts with 500 players and 50 are knocked out. I am short stacked and sat in 450th place.

2) Just before the 10 minute cut-off 100 players join the game and I am then knocked out - my position is given as 550th and I am shown as being the first player knocked out. There is nobody behind me because 50 have already been knocked out but those 50 now show as being ahead of me.

Therefore my problem is with my final position. By my calculations there are now 50 players who should be scoring worse than me but who are actually scoring better than me.

Could somebody please confirm if the scores are adjusted to take this into consideration. Are we possibly being being penalised for starting the game on time if this occurs or is there something in the general rules of poker which covers this eventuality.

In a normal game this would not matter as you wont reach the money before registration closes but in PSO, where being knocked out early carries penalties, this sort of discrepency could cost someone a lot of points over a months worth of games.

Thx all - Andy

Old
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 07:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Andy,

I have no clue about the scoring but there are inherent problems being in any tournament right from the start online.

Many players play an all in with ATCs to build a stack early and when you have a good hand you can end up being sucked out. Even in something like the Sunday Million where the stacks start at 10 K you have 3 hours to register after the start and I can tell you a big part of the field is under 10,00 chips at that point: a huge advantage IMHO.

Being a value whore, I take those advantages and will register late.

I dont know if you read what i have written on slow play but it has it's merits. I believe you have a lot of potential Andy and a good basic game, you just need to sharpen up on the tactics side.

TC

Old
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 07:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Maybe it can be considered as an error, but I'm sure that the admins of PokerStars know this situation and is a system that is used for several years, I don't believe that they will change it. Maybe is not a important thing for the cash tourneys, but yes, a little, for the leagues. Today I lost with AA vs KK and I finished in the 523th place, very near from you (541th place), I will lose 16 or 17 pts, maybe with a logical system would be 15 or 16 pts, but the difference is very little and these bad beats, in one of the first hands, only happen very occasionally, we will not lose the league because of 1, 2 or 3 points.

Maybe for this reason some good players wait to the minute 9 to register, but I think is better be registered before, because in the last tables there are a lot of people sitting out, the game is more fast and we will receive more blinds in every level, if someone do it to save the first 30 chips of the first level, or 75 chips with the second level (having a lot of luck), he/she is very wrong, we will save more chips playing in a slow table.

The 2 options have different risks, but considering that the bad beats in the first hands only happen very occasionally, the best thing is to register as soon as possible.

Old
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 07:52 PM
(#4)
Two differing strategies Andy, you take your choice.

Thanat though has not played in German tournies where I have went all in with my Aces on the button after everyone limping and then everyone proceeded to call my all in in the first hand. The record i have personally witnessed on PSO when I used to play early is seven all ins. My premium hands don't mean a lot in those circumstances.

TC

Old
Mon Jun 06, 2011, 04:43 AM
(#5)
Thx for the responses. I am content with the way things are and will tighten up even more and likely sit out the 10 min registration period just to skip this sort of eventuality in the future.

I dont particularly agree with the slow play side of the tournament as I think it detracts from the idea of the competition which is to hone your poker skills and I dont rate time wasting as a real skill. I see the benfits - I just dont rate it.

I suppose the only way to avoid the type of scenario I described is either (1) dont play any hands until the early knockouts are passed or (2) get rid of the 10 min registration.

But as topthecat correctly points out I need to sharpen up on my tactics anyway. I certainly need to work a lot harder to recoup the minus points I have made in the last few games.

Old
?? - Mon Jun 06, 2011, 07:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
I looked at your scores- lowest i see is 541/648 and 428/534 -- did you wait till after late reg was over- b4 you looked at tourney lobby???

Old
Mon Jun 06, 2011, 10:10 AM
(#7)
The query I posted was not an intentional one about myself it was really a "what if" scenario.

It was just something I got thinking about and thought I would ask others what they thought.

Last edited by Andy8334; Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old
Wed Jun 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Two differing strategies Andy, you take your choice.

Thanat though has not played in German tournies where I have went all in with my Aces on the button after everyone limping and then everyone proceeded to call my all in in the first hand. The record i have personally witnessed on PSO when I used to play early is seven all ins. My premium hands don't mean a lot in those circumstances.

TC
In the first hands is better only play AA, going All In, and pockets, calling the blind, and fold the rest of the hands. For example I just fold J-J, because I was in the position UTG+2, and the flop was 2-J-2, I had full, and other 2 players have been All In, now I would have the triple of chips. Before, I fold AK, K10, A10, Q10, KQ and KJ, have a high risk play these hands, more in this league, where there are a lot of donks and bluffers.

But this is not reason to be registered later, if you play in a fast table you will be eliminated more soon and you will lose more points, is more secure be registered before. Maybe sometines if you play in a table with 6 players sitting out, you can win more hands, but if 1 of the other 2 players is a donk, this donk will be raising everytime, and If you have bad luck you can be eliminated very soon and lose a lot of points. In addition, these people sitting out always wake up and the 95% of the times they are donks that will be raising and going All In continuously.

The last days of the last month I played almost always in the last tables and I think that this is one of reasons of my bad patch, from this month I always will be registered before =)

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 01:40 PM
(#9)
I did a quick check on a game recently and player A was knocked out first. Player B was knocked out 68 places later but was actually placed 68 places behind player A because of the ongoing registrations. The difference in the scores was 3.87 points.

Player A out in 384 - scored -8.99
Player B out in 452 - Scored -12.86

Total difference 3.87 points

Of course they both scored minus points which does not affect the vast majority of players but it must hurt to know you ranked 68 places higher than someone but scored almost 4 points less.

I know its a big ask of the programmers but in the spirit of the PSO league and being fair it must be worth a bit of re-programming just for the league if such is at all possible. Just imagine if its the last game of the month and the top 2 positions were decided in such a fashion.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 01:52 PM
(#10)
I definitely agree that these anomalies need to be looked at.

TC

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:32 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
take another look here.
It doesn't seem to out of whack TBH.

1thing you need to look at is what was there score prior to the start of the game. Maybe 1 player was higher on the leaderboard and would lose more points for an early exit than the other player.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:51 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Anytime Silent Bob gets positive points, it's a scoring error.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 04:05 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
Anytime Silent Bob gets positive points, it's a scoring error.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com