Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Was this a bad call?

Old
Was this a bad call? - Thu Jun 09, 2011, 08:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
I was in the bb and heres what happened

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
No but it was a bad river bet. You should have bet at least 400 if you're going to bet the 2nd nuts. When he raises you can't fold as he could be unintentionally value-bluffing a hand like 555 or be a chop. You're only losing to 78 and there's only one 78 that he should have in his range (78 spades). He has hands like 57, 67, 47 plenty here as well and given all the money in the pot this call has to be +EV. His check-raise is pretty strong, but I think he has 57 or 67 here too much to fold.

I think you should have bet about 200 on the flop. Yeah, multi-way pot blah blah, but there are a lot of hands you'd like to charge/get out of there. Since you waited for the turn, I think it still should have been more. You want to charge draws as well as build the pot for your strong draw (pair + gutshot). Bet 200-250 here I think. On the river bet around 3/4 pot for value. If raised you still have an auto-call I think.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With hitting top pair on the flop, even with a bad kicker, you need to bet the flop... if nothing else, to see where you're at in the hand.

Liked the turn bet, but would be better if it was a 2nd bullet from betting the flop, instead of only betting the turn.

I'd have bet more leading out on the river, but with the 2nd nuts.... you gotta call it (or at least I would).

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 11:53 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Ok guys thanks for the input. I feel that I should have bet the flop thanks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com