Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

PSO: AQ cut off

Old
PSO: AQ cut off - Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007

It is the PSO League and we are 30 players from the bubble and good points for the League.

Normally, I would even be tempted to fold AQ off, but a few things convinced me otherwise. I was UTG, everyone had folded to me, I was certain the button and SB would fold to a shove, my image was tight and the BB/biggest stack had been playing very tight since I came to the table, so I thought he would only protect his blind with a premium holding. If he had any of the top 4 pair or AK I was dominated but anything less I was at least a coinflip or healthy favourite. Perfect opportunity to steal the blinds or double up and ensure reaching the bubble

I was surprised to see him call with A 7, and the 7 on the river was an ouch moment. I was asked why I did not stall to the bubble and my reasoning was I would not have made it without playing at least one hand and relying on the Poker Gods.

I see it as the correct play even in PSO and I just got unlucky.

What do you think?

TC

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 01:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Don't see anything wrong with how you played it.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:01 PM
(#3)
Maybe I gave him too good pots??

TC

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Normally, I would even be tempted to fold AQ off, but... I was UTG, everyone had folded to me

If you had to play one more hand to cash, then shoving something is certainly the right thing to do. AQo is far and away a strong enough hand to shove from your position (even if you were UTG, whis might have been strong enough to shove; not totally sure with the points system).

Incidentally, the call from the BU was also far and away the correct decision for him to make, I believe. Given his pot odds, his stack size, his hand, and your likely shoving range, he made the correct play, too. The fact that you were laying him odds is not a reason to fold this hand. If you think you'll get blinded out if you don't, then shove. Do not tighten your pushing range because you have no fold equity; you actually need to widen it in hopes of getting some back very quickly.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:39 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Snap shove. You know button and SB are going to fold like 98% here. And you're wayyyyy ahead of BB's random cards. Plus you're giving him odds to call with any two, so this shove is ++EV for sure!

Quote:
Do not tighten your pushing range because you have no fold equity; you actually need to widen it in hopes of getting some back very quickly.
Depends how wide it is to begin with. No point in pushing 73 with no fold equity and multiple players left to act. I'd rather call a shove than push myself in that situation. (More likely to get it heads-up).

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#6)
Opps sorry Panicky, I meant cut off.

Thanks guys.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:59 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
If your #1 priority is crossing the bubble (monthly league scoring), then it's a matter of evaluating if you can realistically fold your way through the bubble or not. If the answer is yes, then fold. If the answer is no, then shove.

Where the goal is to play to win, this is an automatic shove every single time, even if opened in front of you.

And the BB makes an excellent call btw, folding would be terrible.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 03:18 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With 30 to go, unless the table is playing slow as molasses in January.... you will need to win a hand to get ITM. Knowing you most likely need one, I'm looking for a hand to push with... and that one certainly qualifies.
You got 3 outed, but you made the correct play in my eyes.

I agree with Dave that the button basically had to call it with an A too.

Regular MTT, instead of PSO, it's a snap-shove from me.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 03:27 PM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I agree with Dave that the <BB> basically had to call it with <any 2 cards>.
FYP.

Yeah, if the regular league players are saying you need some more chips to make the bubble, then I'm shoving here.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 03:27 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
I agree with Dave that the button basically had to call it with an A too.
Big blind has to call this with 38 off suit.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 03:34 PM
(#11)
I wish he had LOL

Thanks for all the insights guys.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 03:47 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
FYP.

Yeah, if the regular league players are saying you need some more chips to make the bubble, then I'm shoving here.
That's what I get for looking at 2 hands at once... sorry.

Old
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 05:27 PM
(#13)
i have to agree with the a,7 call from the big blind with approx 3to1 odds he was givin,your push all in was the right nmove in my opinion to wit a,q being a very strong hand,id say with about 30ppl to go you had a good chance off making the bubble with your stack because alot off ppl at this point in the tournament run the clock out,good luck in your future pso skill league tournaments

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com