Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

10NL 6-Max: Ax in SB, Isolating Passive Fish, How to Play Post-Flop?

Old
10NL 6-Max: Ax in SB, Isolating Passive Fish, How to Play Post-Flop? - Tue Jun 14, 2011, 01:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Villain is running 70/0 UTG, and I've been playing with him for over 100 hands, so I've gotten some decent reads on him. I bluffed him out of a $5 pot earlier in the session and he started 3betting me after that hand, so I know he's tilty, but I think that's more or less worn off by now. Since he calmed down, he's been difficult to get money out of, because he puts money in the pot when he has a hand, and folds when he doesn't. He always limp/calls UTG but that's as far as his looseness goes. He seems like a nit post-flop, but I've only gotten him post-flop this way about three times so far, so I'm not sure what mistakes he likes to make after he sees the flop.

On the flop, I just c-bet because A-high is far ahead of his range. When he flat called me, I had not idea what to do. He seemed like a nit, but I knew that A-high was so far ahead of his preflop range, that on a paired board like this where it's just less likely he hit, I might still be good. If the board were 223, I'd be more comfortable proceeding with the hand, but given this board, I was unsure whether I should c-bet the turn, check/fold the turn, or do something in between.

How should I proceed?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($13.57)
MP ($8.95)
Button ($12.89)
Panicky (SB) ($20.44)
BB ($10)

Preflop: Panicky is SB with 7, A
UTG calls $0.10, 2 folds, Panicky bets $0.40, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.90) J, 10, 10 (2 players)
Panicky bets $0.45, UTG calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.80) K (2 players)

Old
Tue Jun 14, 2011, 05:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2009
BronzeStar
Based on his postflop tendencies I'm not sure I like the turn bet. Sometimes you just have to let it go after the flop; better players will be happy to flat call every street and have people bury themselves thinking they "sense weakness". A flat call here is probably a jack, which you cannot beat, and you are out of position. I'd check the turn and probably fold to his bet.

Old
Tue Jun 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the flat call there would scare me bigtime. Sounds like a J with a non-A kicker to me or even worse, could be J 10 or 10 9. It looks to me like they're trying to keep you in the hand, which isn't good... since all you have is the board.

with only 4 outs (7 outs tops if they don't have a Q), that's one I'd let go and try to get my $$ into a better situation. I'm checking and hoping they check to get a Q on the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com