Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Dealing with Donks, ATMs, Call Machines

Old
Dealing with Donks, ATMs, Call Machines - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
OK so,

for the people that know me I play a tight game, last week I went on a massive downswing, so I decided to widen my range of hands BTW my downswing was 1754 down too 1662 or something like that anyways I decided to widen my range because my normal hands to play werent coming at all so from what I know when that happens you look for other hands to help make you money to stay in the tourney or whatever, well it just kept getting worse now then I didnt widen my range like you may think I only added from 10 suited and up IE 10-J suited up to A-K suited along with all PPs well that didnt seem to work, so I went to the top 10 hands that didnt work so now Iam back to my normal range of hands that I came into the league playing and yes I have been successful just playing these hands but when your cards go cold you should be allowed to widen your range, yet everytime I do it gets horrible for me, I dont get that, reason I titled my post Dealing with Donks, ATMs and Call Machines is because ok so yesterday my downswing ended, got in the points 10+ 1st game, 2nd game itm 22 place for 31+ points and 3rd game 5 points so I was like ok cool Iam back upwards and onwards then this morning, I get A-Qs I raise it 4 times the BB blinds 15-30 guy calls, on flop he checks I bet half the pot (150) flop was 9-4-2 turn was 6 he checks I bet half the pot again (300), river he checks and now Iam scared as I was just trying to pull a bluff off so I check too didnt want to lose anymore chips he flips over 2-8 then about 4 hands later maybe 5 hands later Iam in the BB with 9-7o with 2 limpers flop comes 4-K-7 I check, they both check turn 9 I check guy bets 150, other calls and I reraise to 450 one folds other calls river J I bet 250 leaving myself 100 he reraises to 690 so I call he flips over J-9 for an early exit to me I mean Iam taking 10 steps forward and 100 steps back am I really supposed to just play the top 8 hands to be successful in this league?!!?! and what am I supposed to do when they stop dealing my top 8 hands? take a cpl days off? just looking for some answers here guys, I have played alot of the really good players on PSO and I see them playing hands like A-Qo or suited, A-Jo or suited but yet in my game I fold instantly with those hands because I know they are not gonna win and by the way I have paid attention to those hands and for me they only win 1 or 2 times out of 10 this is why I insta fold them unless in BB with no raise, sorry for the rant Iam just looking to improve my game and it seems like Iam being told by the powers that be that I dont need to improve my game it is fine the way it is, well I dont personally believe that theres always room for improvement but as I said when I widen my range from top 8 hands to anything else its like I get reprimanded and just a note when I widen my range of hands I usually get top/top on the flop no straight draws no flush draws but get beat by 2 pair or set you know? or they get there kicker which is Q if I play A-J or K if I play A-Q again sorry for rant, but if you all could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 11:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey Bones-- from what ive read - and tried- widening your range- when in a downswing- is about the worst thing you can do-- in fact- I tighten up a bit-now- and rely on my reads from opponents at the table- you just have to ride it out man- dont change- jmo-- gl-- monk...

PS- in the PSO- it succs- but if you are card dead- its better to blind out- than go out in the first 50%--
Example- in the tourney i just finish- i played 4 hands- oop- had AA second hand in and 2 limpers folded- to a standard raise---i won 1 small hand at shodown- the rest i folded on the flop-- and i still made it to 140th- of 471- around 29%- losing as little points as possible- probably around 6-- no fun- but must be done---

Last edited by monkeyskunk4; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 11:58 AM..

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 11:56 AM
(#3)
ok so more less stick with whats working, if its not broke dont fix it?

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
(#4)
ya- and i edited post-- read again--

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
(#5)
ok cool, that is usually how my game goes and I LOVE it that way what I mean is I have no problem folding, folding, folding, guess its just a love for the game hehehe

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
(#6)
junkie------------

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:12 PM
(#7)
lmao indeed! at least its not drugs ;-) AND I have deposited no money on the site :-D now then I have taken a cpl stupid pills so my BR is nothing to shake a stick at but meh it will get better over time

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:15 PM
(#8)
hey- ive asked others- but never got a response-- MEH in puterese means?? and be gentle please

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:16 PM
(#9)
basically its "indifferent", "whatever" along those lines

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:20 PM
(#10)
oh ty then----------------

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
(#11)
np, I actually looked it up online after I posted it and that is exactly what "meh" means lol ;-)

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 12:54 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones31271 View Post
np, I actually looked it up online after I posted it and that is exactly what "meh" means lol ;-)
GL u DONK LOL see ya at the tables friend

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
(#13)
LMAO KOing :-P indeed, see you there, best of luck

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2010
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:08 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
It can be frustrating when the cards stop coming,I think we all expereince this on a regular basis. You have one good advantage in poker school, (player notes ) as we tend to play alot of the same players over and over these can be a very important tool during these occations. Lets face it your not going to remember everyone you play and they way they do, but a simple note will give you an idea of the play they used previously agaist you. weather they are tight players or loose, or just plain donks. So you may get the chance to open your hand spread in some occasions, or steal a few more pots with position un contested. Either way you must be willing to sacrafice a few chips to make the notes. just because one player is bidding everyhand and everyone folds don't mean he's bulling with nothing to steal blinds, sometimes they are just getting lucky and the cards are falling their way. the only way to know is see their cards at the end of the hands

So in essence don't change your cards, change your play in these downward swings, use what is available as aides but do it wiseley. Take notes on what works what don't and never never i can't stress this enough never play your frustrations they will beat you everytime.

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
(#16)
ty for the advice sccotia :-)

Old
Wed Jun 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
HOW MANY TIMES HAVE i BEEN ON YOUR TABLE BONES ? THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR GAME, SADLY I FIND MYSELF AGREEING WITH MONKEY, RIDE THE STORM AND DONT WIDEN YOUR RANGE, I HAVE TWO OR THREE DAYS EVERY MONTH WHERE NOTHING GOES RIGHT I JUST PLAY A BIT LESS AND GRIND IT TILL I THINK I CAN SEE IT TURNING. MONDAY, BB AT 200 I HAVE 2100 AND IN BB GOT AA AND ONLY 2 LIMPERS SO I RAISE TO 1200 HAPPY TO TAKE WHATS ON THE TABLE, 1 GUYS CALLS, FLOP 2 9 7 RAINBOW, I BET 600 AND HE CALLS TURN 10 I GO ALL IN AND HE CALLS HE HAS 2-3 OFF AND HITS 3 ON RIVER (NEW LAPTOP NEEDED NOW) AND HE WAS NOT HEAVY STACKED HE HAD 3K AND CHANGE. SNAKES AND LADDERS ANYONE ? ANYWAY KEEP PLAYING AS YOU DO AND GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by gatehouse999; Wed Jun 22, 2011 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: SPELLING

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com