Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

variance2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
variance2!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
hahaha.. variance.. i like that word.. i like that word.. funny isnt it?
next pso league .. bingo got AA.. and this happens

this has been the story for the last 10 or so AA, KK, QQ .. god i hate playing poker now.. its not for me .. i m too unlycky to play poker.. or i better start fold these trash hands preflop..

Want to know what happened in the previous league tourney..

Last edited by godofcricket; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
im pretty sure u are just here to bytch- and not learn, so ill not waste my time- but gl= monk--

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
slowplaying AA will get you into trouble alot more than you think. When you were raised to 500, why only a small raise to 800 and letting them see the flop for only 300 more? You're basically going to be isolated against one opponent, which is exactly what you want with AA.
That's when you want to shove.... make them pay to see any cards and it will also normally get rid of the blinds too. Don't let them hit top pair and stay without making them risk their chips. With AA preflop against only 1 opponent, you're guaranteed to be ahead, so that's when you want to get all your chips into the pot. By letting them see the flop for not many chips, you increased their outs from having to hit at least 2 cards, to 9 single outs on top of the multiple card draws (dramatically lowering your win %, from 81% to 68%).

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
ok.. i m ready to learn.. tell me what did i wrong in the second hand.. first hand i admit i played the wrong hand preflop.. but what about the second one? I mean AA?

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
(#5)
as jwk said- with ure stack size- a min 3 bet there- is pretty much useless- any bigger - and ure pot committed-- so ship it pre- if he calls - and u want that call evrytime-- and draws out on you- well thats poker- gl bud----- monk........

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:47 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
after an out-of-position player raises like your opponent did, then you need to push back preflop. You really want to go all-in right then. Yes, your opponent can fold and you'll pick up the blinds, which is totally OK. What it does do, is to put the pressure on them before they see that they hit top pair and a gutshot straight draw (giving them a number of 1 card outs to beat you).

You will lose some hands by doing it due to them getting lucky, but you want to get your chips into a pot while you're the largest favorite that you can be. it's better to put your chips in as a 4-1 favorite, than a 2-1 favorite..... it'll pay off more longterm, which is the goal.

In that hand, if you push all-in preflop, then your opponent should know that they are way behind your hand and with only a suited connector and no made hand, they should muck it. Sometimes just picking up the blinds by pushing all-in preflop is the correct way to play a hand. You're getting more chips and taking zero risk, if they fold.

You also don't always want to be results oriented, if you played the hand correctly, then you need to be ready to accept losing to a worse hand, because the odds say it will happen a certain percentage of the time. That's one lesson I learned the hard way... both online AND live.

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
hahaha.. variance.. i like that word.. i like that word.. funny isnt it?
next pso league .. bingo got AA.. and this happens

this has been the story for the last 10 or so AA, KK, QQ .. god i hate playing poker now.. its not for me .. i m too unlycky to play poker.. or i better start fold these trash hands preflop..

Pre-flop: You 81% Villain 18% Flop: You 68.4% Villain 30.5%

Why did the odds shrink so much? Because he has 5 hard outs (both J's and 9s,9h and 9c) and 4 soft outs (the 3 Q's and 9d) so it's unlucky yes,but I wouldn't call it a bad beat. Look in on higher level games and see a hand like this and you'll see "super standard" typed into chat as much as you'll see "sick". If not more times.

Why only a re-pop for another 300 per-flop? Because you wanted to string the player along and try to extract max-value post flop? Well when you do that understand that you invite disaster to the dance. Can't get too mad when it shows up...

Want to know what happened in the previous league tourney..
Don't play J10o for one thing. And don't limp for another. If you like J10o enough here to play it (which you shouldn't) then raise here. Nothing big,whatever your standard pre-flop raise is. Raising gives you 4 things:

1. A chance to take the hand down right then and there. How often this will happen will depend on the level of play on the table and on your table image (other variables can factor in,of course,but these are typically the 2 biggest determining factors).It's not a likely result in freerolls and micro-stakes but it can happen. Limping ensures that it will not happen.

2. If not ending the hand right then and there you may reduce the number of players you have to beat. The less players you have to beat the better. This will never change. Ever.

3. It can set you up for a post flop c-bet,whether it's a semi-bluff or pure bluff. If you raised pre-flop here,instead of limping,and were just flatted by anyone staying in the hand,then you have the initiative in the hand. You can never know what's going to flop,but you can know that there are certain hands that can flop--IF YOU HAVE YOUR OPPONENTS RANGED-- that can set you up for a post-flop steal. By limping you showed zero strength before the flop,which means that you aren't very likely to be believed if you try to bet out aggressively post flop.

4. You get information when you bet. If you raise pre-flop here and anyone calls you then unless they're a bad/loose player,that call is giving you information by narrowing the number of hands you should give them credit for possibly holding. Calling gives you no information.

Post flop shove here into a board this wet? Well here are the odds---

You (Jh10d)--44% Villain#1(Kc2c)--45% Villain#2 (Jd8s)--8% Flop--Jc10c9d

See that? You may have been ahead when the chips went in the middle but you were less than 50/50 to win the hand. In fact the K2s hand had a razor-thin margin BETTER hand than you,in respect to being ahead when the hand ended. Now it didn't play out the way that was his/her easiest path to the best hand,but the math here was slightly against you. You weren't nearly as dominant as you apparently thought you were,not with that board.

Again though,calling with this hand pre-flop to begin with was you're biggest mistake in this hand.

PS,
If you look I analyzed both hands here the hand analysis for the AA hand is in the box between the 2 hand replays. My 'puter donkishness led to that mix up,LOL.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 06:10 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Super easy shove pre. If the blinds are super aggressive and likely to squeeze, then a smooth call can be justified, but against an early position raiser this is not likely. Just get it in, you're miles ahead of his range preflop obviously, and likely to get called.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com