Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

The Big 50k GTD - KK

Old
The Big 50k GTD - KK - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 04:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi guys.

My first post on here but looking to improve my game a lot more after making a nice cash in a MTT on Saturday night.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

No specific reads on villain, seemed to be playing a tight game... only have 35 hands on him where he's at 17/14 with an AFq of 42.

The flops good for me, I should have made the Cbet bigger maybe 1-1.1k but it's the turn that worries me. Is C/folding to weak here? Should I be putting a small blockerish bet out there to get to showdown and fold to any action?

I can't see him leading the turn with a AJ as he has a lot of showdown equity but then he could be turning his hand into a bluff?

Calling the turn commits me into calling the river, so I just folded and waited for a better spot.

Edit - Also just considered the fact I have the blocker Kd and the Jd's on the flop, so that eliminates AKs, AJs, KQs, KJs, QJs so the only realistic hands are AQs, ATs, AJ, 99-QQ or a small amount of air/smaller pairs.

Cheers

Last edited by KyeBuff; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 04:59 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 05:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think you made the correct play. The opp's been playing tight, so to call your preflop raise from UTG, they should have a real hand.
I liked your bet on the flop and them calling it would say to me that they're probably sitting on the nut flush draw, 22, 99 or JJ (most likely the flush or JJ).
The 9 of diamonds on the turn is a huge scare card. It gives them a full house if JJ or 22, or complete's their flush. With them only betting 1/2 pot and not pushing, it says to me that they want you to call it.... which makes me think even more of flush or better for them.

Yes, they could be bluffing with A diamonds and off J, but I think more than likely you'll see the flush or full house or even quads if you push back or see the river.

Old
?? - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
im not folding there- 3 callers to a standard raise - i think ide have bet that flop a lil harder--ure against 3 players-- pot it and let them know im committed to the hand- can safely take him off the set 9, when it turns- and JJ prob would have 3 bet you-pre-

so AJ sounds about right-maybe with the A dia.-- and the 3rd diamond got the flush there- all you have left is a pot sized bet- so im probably shippin it on the turn- dont really like the check/fold- would he have flatted you preflop with a A9 or K9- being relatively tite?? if you were behind- you did have outs--on the river-- so i think if it were me - pot the flop- and ship it turn- jmo-------

Last edited by monkeyskunk4; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I think you made the correct play. The opp's been playing tight, so to call your preflop raise from UTG, they should have a real hand.
I liked your bet on the flop and them calling it would say to me that they're probably sitting on the nut flush draw, 22, 99 or JJ (most likely the flush or JJ).
The 9 of diamonds on the turn is a huge scare card. It gives them a full house if JJ or 22, or complete's their flush. With them only betting 1/2 pot and not pushing, it says to me that they want you to call it.... which makes me think even more of flush or better for them.

Yes, they could be bluffing with A diamonds and off J, but I think more than likely you'll see the flush or full house or even quads if you push back or see the river.
Yea this is what I thought at the time but now im starting to think if he did flop the set he would of probably raised for value there, with the flush draw out and my UTG range being so tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskunk4 View Post
im not folding there- 3 callers to a standard raise - i think ide have bet that flop a lil harder--ure against 3 players-- pot it and let them know im committed to the hand- can safely take him off the set 9, when it turns- and JJ prob would have 3 bet you-pre-

so AJ sounds about right-maybe with the A dia.-- and the 3rd diamond got the flush there- all you have left is a pot sized bet- so im probably shippin it on the turn- dont really like the check/fold- would he have flatted you preflop with a A9 or K9- being relatively tite?? if you were behind- you did have outs--on the river-- so i think if it were me - pot the flop- and ship it turn- jmo-------
Yea, I looked back at the flop bet and I wasn't happy with it, like you say I should be sizing it to set up a shove on the turn (unless it comes an A). I can't see K9 being in his range here, A9 is probably at the bottom of it.

I'm not so sure he would 3bet me pre with JJ, I'm pretty much going to 4bet all of my UTG opening range and at best he's flipping.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 06:03 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I hate check-folding there. I'd probably just shove. Having the is nice... If he doesn't have 22, JJ, J9, or 99, or a big flush, he's hard-pressed to call you here. You're turning your hand into a semi-bluff, as not a lot of worse hands (AJ, QQ maybe) can call, but there's a ton of dead money in the pot, your flush draw is often good, and you could totally have JJ here.

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:55 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2011
Even in theory to protect your hand against flush draw on the flop you should bet 57% not 53% as you did (if he as many others incorrectly thinks about paying 1 street only). In reality even 75% sometimes isn't enough depending on the limit you play.

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:14 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriholic View Post
I hate check-folding there. I'd probably just shove. Having the is nice... If he doesn't have 22, JJ, J9, or 99, or a big flush, he's hard-pressed to call you here. You're turning your hand into a semi-bluff, as not a lot of worse hands (AJ, QQ maybe) can call, but there's a ton of dead money in the pot, your flush draw is often good, and you could totally have JJ here.
Yea I agree, I'm dissapointed with how I played it now.. could easy of been AJ with the Ad, who was unsure where he was at but grew confidence in picking up the nut flush draw and my check seems weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anykey444 View Post
Even in theory to protect your hand against flush draw on the flop you should bet 57% not 53% as you did (if he as many others incorrectly thinks about paying 1 street only). In reality even 75% sometimes isn't enough depending on the limit you play.
I think a lot of people will go broke with a flush draw (especially with overs, or a gutshot) even when they have a reasonable stack in this tournament.

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey Kye, welcome to the pso and the forum.

Personally, I think I may fold there too. My question is, you said you made a nice cash, so it was in this tourney? If so, or whichever, congrats. But if it's this one, well, maybe the laydown was right. Not trying to get to results oriented, but in these tight spots where I actually have to make a decision, and I'm going back and forth, I like to stick to the thought, "you can't win a tourney in one hand, but you sure can lose it in one."
But I'm just a nit.

Best o' luck and congrats again!

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Hey Kye, welcome to the pso and the forum.

Personally, I think I may fold there too. My question is, you said you made a nice cash, so it was in this tourney? If so, or whichever, congrats. But if it's this one, well, maybe the laydown was right. Not trying to get to results oriented, but in these tight spots where I actually have to make a decision, and I'm going back and forth, I like to stick to the thought, "you can't win a tourney in one hand, but you sure can lose it in one."
But I'm just a nit.

Best o' luck and congrats again!
Cheers dude

It wasn't in this tournament where I made my cash, I cashed 4th place in a 10K GTD tournament on Saturday night!

You make a good point about losing a tournament in one hand, I've gone deep in a few tournaments (Sunday storm - 150ish and The Big - 37th) but I just haven't been able to make the top pay outs in these and I feel it's sometimes me overplaying a hand.

If I can just up my game a little bit more I think I can be a pretty decent MTT player, that's why I thought I would sign up here.

Old
Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:49 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2011
Congta's with those results mentioned.

Yes, I think your idea about blockerish bet is right.

The way you played this hand opp could think you made Cbet with nothing and his for example AKo is good or he just floated you.

Old
Wed Jun 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anykey444 View Post
Congta's with those results mentioned.

Yes, I think your idea about blockerish bet is right.

The way you played this hand opp could think you made Cbet with nothing and his for example AKo is good or he just floated you.
Thanks

I think a float is going to be a little too loose here, the blinds are left to act behind him and he could be burning money if they decide to check raise.

C/Folding is one of the worst lines I could of took tbh looking back. I can get some information if I did bet the turn small, where as checking allows floats, AJ, draws etc to bet me off the hand.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com