Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Another Loss...

Old
Unhappy
Another Loss... - Mon Jun 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Well, the world lost another music icon this weekend. Clarence Clemons passed on after complications from a stroke.

I remember putting "Jungleland" on the juke box at my first live poker tourney. It was in a pool hall that I frequented. I used to play the j box a lot in shuffleboard tourneys and playing pool. I always liked to put on the longer songs to get my money's worth, and to let there be more music that I enjoyed. Once in a while, you get a great song that takes a lot of time...like "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" from Traffic, and...the boss.
The sax solo in Jungleland is just something that sticks in your head, and you wish it never ended. Hard to believe that we would probably not have had him as such a presence in our musical lives had it not been for a car wreck. He was on his way to the NFL after playing in Maryland. He blew out his knee in the wreck...then started blowing that magical horn.

RIP Big Man.

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 08:58 PM
(#2)
a prayer will be sent from here in North Carolina Dan, I have not heard of him but if it is enough for you to post this then it is important for us PSOers to take the time to understand.

Old
Mon Jun 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
The King of the World.The Master of Disaster. The Big Man Himself...Clarence Clemons!!!

Losing "Diamond Dan" Federici a few years back was a body blow but I really can't see how it can be the E Street Band without The Big Man. My first Springsteen show was in '78 during the Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour and been to over 50 shows since. Clarence had been struggling with bad wheels and other maladies for the last few years but when he blew that sax it was just like back in the 70's and 80's again.

Dude brought a lot of joy to a lot of people over the years and had a great social conscience and a heart as big as all outdoors. Bruce will always be The Boss,but Clarence will always be The Big Man.

"When the changes was made uptown
and The Big Man joined the band
From the coastline to the city
all the little pretties raise their hands

I'm gonna sit back right easy and laugh
When Scooter and The Big Man bust this city in half..."

Apologize for the quality on this 1st one (what's up with the dude's e-mail on the bottom? LOL) but the important part is the crowd "pop" at 2:38. That's love and respect.

http://youtu.be/QwbcvxQKrqA

This one is just a personal favorite...

http://youtu.be/U0ExmL4LzCk

Couldn't find a decent Jungleland clip Dano. Sorry,that's one of my favorites as well.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Jun 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 01:41 AM
(#4)
Can't get it to link but punch in Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band-Jungleland,and the R&R HOF '09 version should pop up...

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 01:43 AM..

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:23 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2010
R.I.P Clarence.

The E Street band will never be the same, but the boys in heaven got the best saxophone player in their band now. Rock on!

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 09:25 AM
(#6)
Here is just a great clip that someone just put up a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfVz-w32Os

This is the sax solo from Jungleland in 2009.

I just picked up Sammy and watched it with a bit of emotion running. He watched the whole thing...not an ez task to make a 2 yr. old do...what power the Big Kahuna had. (That's what Bruce actually referred to him as..or the Rock from ...not sure here..Padoka..help me out Mox..rock from somewhere..which..he's actually from Norfolk, VA..so I don't think it's Paducah...anyway.)

There's some other clips if you search C.C.

ps..here's one..really old stuff w/ David Letterman and his band...good interview at end too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xhg...eature=related

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Tue Jun 21, 2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: one more link.

Old
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
not a big fan of Springsteen, but always enjoyed the big man in the videos... he will be missed

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com