Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

cheaters

Old
cheaters - Thu Jun 23, 2011, 03:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
in the last month to 6 weeks there have been alot off posts about ppl cheating,does anyone ever ask them selves why people cheat?i think i have one answer i may be wrong but i think its because people that cheat dont have the confidence in there game!

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
People usually cheat when they can get away with it . Or is it just here ???

Old
?? - Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:38 PM
(#3)
copy/paste from the boston globe

Cheating is often thought of as something that is done after cold calculation. But, the new research has found, people are prone to cheat even when it is not in their best interest. Instead of carefully weighing the costs and benefits of breaking the rules, people can be heavily swayed by peer pressure, their mood, their image of themselves. Sometimes, people even cheat out of a sense of fairness.

A lot of the time people are thinking about the broader costs and benefits, but there are biases or blind spots or other psychological factors that are actually driving their behavior.

Paradoxically, one of the most powerful motivations for cheating, according to scholars who study decision-making, is a desire for fairness. In the past couple weeks, on New England sports blogs and radio shows, the most widely heard justification for the Patriots cheating was that other teams in the league were almost certainly doing the same thing. Professional cyclists describe similar pressures to take performance-enhancing drugs - a complaint only strengthened by the recent confirmation of Tour de France champion Floyd Landis's positive drug test.

Findings like these emerge from a broader wave of social science research looking at the ways in which we calculate - and miscalculate - costs and benefits in making decisions, whether it's a coach choosing to go for it on fourth down or a head of state choosing to go to war. And while the idea of defensive cheating emerges from a new model of how people react to incentives, other research is looking at the complicated, sometimes conflicting ways in which we think about costs.

In particular, people seem willing in some cases to simply ignore the cost of getting caught. In a set of experiments carried out in 2005 by the economists Nina Mazar and Dan Ariely, of MIT, and On Amir, a marketing expert at the University of California at San Diego, subjects were given a timed test of general-knowledge questions and paid for each correct answer. They varied the setup of the experiment and found that people would tend to cheat when given the chance, but that the risk of being discovered did not deter them. Even more surprisingly, the experimenters found a way to limit cheating that had nothing to do with the threat of getting caught. When they asked subjects to write down as many of the Ten Commandments as they could remember before taking the test, it virtually eliminated cheating

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
What...not gonna give any credit to who wrote that Monk?? I know it can't be your writing...no sh..tty comment or ---- --- ???? -------- ..... I see the title of your post is yours though.. ?? .. ..

interesting stuff

Old
?? - Thu Jun 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
(#5)
[QUOTE=!!!111Dan;284241]What...not gonna give any credit to who wrote that Monk?? I know it can't be your writing...no sh..tty comment or ---- --- ???? -------- ..... I see the title of your post is yours though.. ?? .. .. :tongu

Was written by Drake Bennett-- heres the full article

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ide...23/bad_sports/

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:50 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh1967 View Post
in the last month to 6 weeks there have been alot off posts about ppl cheating,does anyone ever ask them selves why people cheat?i think i have one answer i may be wrong but i think its because people that cheat dont have the confidence in there game!
Very true

Only yesterday I had to inform a player that his "chat" actions had changed the whole dynamics of the hand
He was obviously blind to the fact that he was breaking the rules so the benefit of the doubt was given
But upon reflection the player has been playing PSO for long enough and should have known better
Another player sat at the table backed up my argument that the other play should read the T&C and site rules
No worries though 4-5 hands later said play was railing it

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com