Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

am i playing this right?

Old
am i playing this right? - Thu Jun 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
BronzeStar

I was on the button with A-10 and no callers so I raised all in and the SB was sitting with AK... I seem to lose these kinda hands all the time is it just bad luck that one of the blinds are sitting with good hands or am I playing it wrong?

My thinking is if everyone has folded than theres a higher chance that one of the blinds has the good cards...

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 05:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
with an M of less than 3 and on the button with an A and any broadway straight card with, it's an auto-shove in my eyes. You're looking to find a hand to shove with and a big A definitely qualifies... especially only against the blinds.

You were unlucky in the result with the blind having an A with a higher kicker, but you DID make the correct play.

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 05:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLBoY452 View Post

I was on the button with A-10 and no callers so I raised all in and the SB was sitting with AK... I seem to lose these kinda hands all the time is it just bad luck that one of the blinds are sitting with good hands or am I playing it wrong?

My thinking is if everyone has folded than theres a higher chance that one of the blinds has the good cards...

M 2.4 this hand is an Auto-shove to open from the button every time Devil.

Look the chips in the middle already are effectively 40% of your current stack. You NEED those chips or you're blinding off in less than 3 full rotations. 7 handed that's gonna happen quickly. Are you really likely to see a better spot than opening from the button with A10o in the abbreviated number of hands you have left? Not likely.

It's straight up push or fold mode here,and no way you should be folding this hand in this spot. Absolutely the right play here IMO. If one of the blinds wakes up with a hand then it is what it is. But with A10 you're really only loathe to see a higher Ace hand or pairs from 1010 and up. Anything else you're basically flipping at worst.

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
The key point you must ask yourself before jamming here is: "Can they call me with LESS".

Less than 6BB puts you deeply into a "critical zone", and as stated by others above, this means you pretty much HAVE to move your chips in first to act with a very WIDE range of hands. This means when it folds to you on the button, and there is a big stack in the BB, the answer to the above question when you hold ATo is YES far more often than not.

I'll be honest, depending upon the stage of the MTT (is it final table, middle of the way, or what?), you may be "right" when this short moving in on any 2 cards from the button when it folds to you. But with a smaller hand than ATo you really are praying to be at least "live" (not dominated) if you move in and get called. With AT though, you really WANT a call from someone holding a hand like KJ or QJ to double you. These are also the sorts of calls you are quite likely to get...

The fact that the SB, who is also short, wakes up with AK is pretty moot, and does not effect YOUR decision at all. It merely effects your chance to win the all-in...in the negative.

That's just bad luck, and it happens.

Old
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
You played it right and should definitely be shoving a lot wider in this spot. The best thing that happens is you don't get called and take down the blinds, building up a stack with better fold equity. Doubling up is nice too.

Honestly I'd shove close to any two here on the button, unless you're at a critical point in pay jumps.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com