Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Running bad or just....

Old
Running bad or just.... - Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
STUPID??

Seven of my last nine PSO games I have busted out early, each time but one with the best hand and all were pair over pair. Even the tourney's I managed to get deeper in, it was still pair over pair losses.

All playing really aggressive players with no worries about stack retention...Which should probably tell me something.

Question is, I guess, should I be folding period and protecting my stack?? Or do I play what I believe is the best hand?? Do not have hand history to show but most were pre-flop or post while still maintaining the lead, post flop.

Should be clear that I do not ~want~ to be playing all in type of stakes, but really no option except folding.

Thanks,

Dale

Some examples,

AA loses to 2 2...10 10 loses to 88...AA loses to 5 5... JJ loses to 9 9...ect...Sorry one was AK losing to AQ

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 04:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you're pushing way too much, too early... it seems to me. AA, I can understand, but the others should not be pushes preflop. If pushed with the others, they really should be mucked preflop.

You only want your chips in early when you know you have the best hand after seven cards, not two.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
(#3)
So, facing a re-raise with QQ knowing the player has played just about everyhand and making the right decision on whether I was ahead is wrong? My reads were correct, but did not matter in the end.

Hard to figure I was wrong when 8 out of 9 times I did go all-in with the best hand.

But, busting out is not working out either.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 04:33 PM
(#4)
Today's 300pm tourney.

One fella has about 8k in chips after about 15 mins of tourney time. Has raised pre-flop most hands.
I have JJ in mid position and limp this time. He raises. I call his raise. Flop comes 2 6 9 nice for my JJ.

Knowing he raises or calls everything, I shove. Folded around now heads up. He shows K 9 off.
Looks good for me until the turn shows another 9.

How else does one play the hand facing that kind of opponent. With top pair he was going to raise, would have ended up in a showdown whether or not I shove first.

Not saying I have the answers, looking for some though on, let us say, for this hand only.

Wonder who the donk is....

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Damn if I had all them pocket pairs in one game I would never lose

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
(#6)
That is just over the last two and a half days.....Sounds real good but sure didn't turn out that way.

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale442 View Post
So, facing a re-raise with QQ knowing the player has played just about everyhand and making the right decision on whether I was ahead is wrong? My reads were correct, but did not matter in the end.

Hard to figure I was wrong when 8 out of 9 times I did go all-in with the best hand.

But, busting out is not working out either.
First thing I'd do is to just call the raise (if it doesn't pot commit me) and make sure that no overcards are on the board.

Early in a tourney, especially a PSO, where the risks well outweigh the rewards early... you need to not be pushing untill you see all 7 cards.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Today's 300pm tourney.

One fella has about 8k in chips after about 15 mins of tourney time. Has raised pre-flop most hands.
I have JJ in mid position and limp this time. He raises. I call his raise. Flop comes 2 6 9 nice for my JJ.

Knowing he raises or calls everything, I shove. Folded around now heads up. He shows K 9 off.
Looks good for me until the turn shows another 9.

How else does one play the hand facing that kind of opponent. With top pair he was going to raise, would have ended up in a showdown whether or not I shove first.

Not saying I have the answers, looking for some though on, let us say, for this hand only.

Wonder who the donk is....

Dale
Don't shove in that situation until you see all 5 cards. Bet, yes, but don't shove. 15 min into a tourney that you need to last over 2 hrs in to get ITM, you don't want to push until you see all the cards. It looks like you're trying to get too many chips, too quickly..... the best thing you can do is to learn to be patient.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
(#9)
Dale because of the very nature of the point system in PSO and how EVERY tournament is connected to the bigger picture +/- EV considerations are completely different than anything you're likely to face in cash MTT/SNG plays.

Thinking of PSO tourneys as satellites is a good rule of thumb.

Survival is paramount,all other considerations are secondary.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Fri Jun 24, 2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:41 PM
(#10)
Not really trying go get ahead early, just play when I believe I have the best hand. Stayed in the top ten for most of the month, playing pretty much the same, Best hand should win more often than it has lately....Or have I been more impatient lately when I do realize I need it more than the beginning of the month.

Thanks,

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Or have I been more impatient lately when I do realize I need it more than the beginning of the month.

Thanks,

Dale
I think you've got it... you're pressing too much, it seems. We've all been there, just need to learn from it.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
(#12)
I so suck at this bloody game.

530pm game...

Have KJ h, flop comes Q 9 6, two hearts. Straight and flush draws. Players next to me zips...I call like a moron, but with a ton of outs. Long story short...I now have the time to post this

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:17 PM
(#13)
Thinking one of two things here.

I believe I am TAG. Fold good hands out of position or when facing a big raise. Do not think that has changed from the beginning of the month.

Either I was blessed by the poker gods for the first three weeks of the month, or, getting dumped on for the last 3 or so days. Which one?
Being a very analyitical guy, it is driving me nuts. I am not sure.

How true is the statement "Getting it all in with the best hand" really apply?? Even in the last hand mentioned above, I was a slight fav ( I think) against the set of queens my opponent had. Thirteen possible outs with the turn and the river to go...Still not where I should have been though.

Maybe have to play better so that I have less time to post here....

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Either I was blessed by the poker gods for the first three weeks of the month, or, getting dumped on for the last 3 or so days. Which one?

Dale
BOTH. I've had months with runs like that.... but mine was the 29th-31st of a month. At least you've got a few days to try and make up for it.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:28 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
I so suck at this bloody game.

530pm game...

Have KJ h, flop comes Q 9 6, two hearts. Straight and flush draws. Players next to me zips...I call like a moron, but with a ton of outs. Long story short...I now have the time to post this

Dale
Assuming suits on the flop... put in Q and 6 of hearts..... you are a 2-1 DOG with those cards. You're leaving out that if the board pairs, regardless of whether you hit a flush or straight, you'd lose.

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:30 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Thinking one of two things here.

I believe I am TAG. Fold good hands out of position or when facing a big raise. Do not think that has changed from the beginning of the month.

Being a very analyitical guy, it is driving me nuts. I am not sure.

How true is the statement "Getting it all in with the best hand" really apply?? Even in the last hand mentioned above, I was a slight fav ( I think) against the set of queens my opponent had. Thirteen possible outs with the turn and the river to go...Still not where I should have been though.

Maybe have to play better so that I have less time to post here....

Dale

Most times you should always give credence to the larger sample of plays (the 3 weeks over the 3 days) unless there are mitigating circumstances---a fundamental change in approach,moving up to a higher buy-in level,or in PSO operating under the auspices of the higher point throttles or "chokes" if you will. The higher your score climbs the easier it is to lose points than gain them,so you WILL have to make some refinements in your game to compensate.

As to the trueness of the statement about the value of getting it in with the best hand...Uh,yeah you ALWAYS want to get it in good. The rub is knowing when the downside outweighs the upside enough to cancel out your probable advantage in the hand when the chips went in--is the risk AT THIS POINT worth it? You can figure out how to be patient enough and intuitive enough to figure this out in PSO,and meld it with YOUR game then it will serve you well.

And not just in PSO either...

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
(#17)
Being only my second month here, I am overall happy with my play...sorta. Last month did not take it seriously until I realized the pot at the end of the rainbow. Managed to come in 185 last month with a late push and collected my 3 bucks happily with the thought of improving a lot this month.

Looked good for 3 weeks until this crash and burn. Top ten all month.

The Q is...is it bad play... or bad luck????

I, am a believer that luck plays a huge factor in this game. Being a big fav to win a hand is just not enough. You have to put as much of the odds as possible in your favour and then let what is going to happen, happen. Out of your control. Same as you have to with most things in life.
`
Guess it is my first ~crisis~ here....LMAO.....

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:49 PM
(#18)
Thanks Moxie,

Believe I did pick my time to be aggressive. So often have to wait, wait, wait, to finally get the hand/flop ect I need to win the hand. Small or big pot. Pair over pair so often and losing??

Major point can be made of "how did I get here".... But, pair over pair...my reads were correct. Reading my opponent is about the best thing I have.

Dale

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
dale, have you tried out the replayer yet? It's kind of confusing at first, and some people apparently have had compatibility issues with their email, etc. But then maybe you could show people some of your hands

I just had AA lose to JJ ... it happens...

Old
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
(#20)
Thanks for the math JWK

Forgot, as always, to eliminate those two outs. 2 to 1 dog....what a dumba@@. Not a relative example of where I have been lately. Pair over is where it has been. As stated. Tilting a bit now a just feel like playing more draws....Yeah, I know, stupid.

But after top ten, it's 50 bucks or maybe 30.

Dale

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com