Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

1st time ever,threw monster hold pre

Old
1st time ever,threw monster hold pre - Fri Jun 24, 2011, 11:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
ChromeStar
Well i done it,threw qq pre flop,had QQ utg,raised 3bb,utg+1 calls,mid player shoves over the top,early in the tourney,my monster holds have been getting cracked,for the last 4 days,- points not the way to go,so i throw QQ PRE FLOP,utg+1,shows k9os,the mid shover shows,j6 os,they both miss,k hi wins the hand,my QQ,were good,in hindsight did i make aye mistake?i really dont know,aye week ago i would never have folded QQ pre flop,would of been calling me aye donk,but what can i do,sitout the whole tourney and hope i make points?really dont know where my game is going,backwards i feel,dogg gone it DOGG GONE

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 12:44 AM
(#2)
Don't be results oriented, you could have been up against AA or KK. The fact that you would have won has no place in your decision, it only affects the notes that you should be making on these two players.

Early in PSO tourneys, there are lots of "bingo" players, so called because they go all in on pretty much any two cards. They're looking for an early double up to help them win the tourney, and they are also the reason some players sit out the first half hour or so.

It is possible to go deep by playing ABC poker with some adjustments. Think min raise instead of all in, 22 would call your aces if they were face up. It's a major adjustment, but learning to play the PSO is excellent practice for adjusting to various tourney formats and speeds.

Take advantage of all the resources PSO has to offer, from the library to the live training to the forum. Be patient, and most important of all, don't let variance get the better of you.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 01:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
+1 on everything Joy said...

...and welcome to the Dark Side young Skywalker.

Old
cheers - Sat Jun 25, 2011, 01:56 AM
(#4)
ChromeStar
ty you very much for your comments,as you said i could of been crushed early,not a bad play then by myself,still hurts tho,haha,DOGG GONE

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:09 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
considering it was early in the tournament i think you played it correctly. at your level points are more important than individual hands.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 04:23 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Well Barry, I had to make a monster fold early in Friday's 10pm game. Mine was similar in that it had the potential to triple me up but it was even worse as I got to see a free flop from my BB before I folded...

Preflop it is folded round to the player on the button who limps in. SB makes up the blinds and I check with A2off. We are barely into level 2 and I am on only Hand 4 of my tournament as I always register 9 minutes into the game just before registration closes. Neither of my two opponents have played a hand yet and I have not played against either of them in a previous tournament so I have no notes on them at all.

So anyway the flop comes...225 with 2 spades and I am licking my lips! Even more so when the button bets 120 and the SB calls. I am tempted to shove and take the pot right there and then but I decide to see the turn so I flat call. I am expecting the button to bet 120 again on the turn if the SB and I both check the turn to him. And if the turn is what I believe to be a blank then I am check-shoving. Turn is a non-spade 3. I consider this to be a blank even though it has put the possible straight out there. So I still think I am good. SB checks. I check. But now the button bets 480 and gets flat called by the SB. And now all of a sudden I am thinking to myself "bugger one of these two DOES have me beat now". I go through the hands that have me beat...46, A4, 25, 23, 33 or 55 (and lets face it the SB could have had any of those last 4 hands). It is the SB's flat call that bothers me more than the button's bet. I am now faced with a call that puts almost half my stack in the pot and still the river to come. And we are only on Hand 4. If the river comes 4, 6 or spade and I see a big bet then I am thinking that I will have to fold and leave half my stack behind and not even reach showdown. For all I know I might already be drawing dead to the case 2. So I bottle it and fold. River is another 3. I would have had 2s full of 3s. Now I am not sure if my hand would have been good. But then the SB bets 680 (left 140 behind) and is snap called by the button (who would have only had 300 chips left if he calls and loses). In a nano second, I am now certain I have made a great laydown on the turn. But oh god I could not have been more wrong. The SB showed 8s6s for a busted flush draw plus busted gutshot while the button had....K5off! My face hit the floor in total disgust. I had just let a 4500 pot slip through my fingers. And I never saw another hand after that.

The way that hand had panned out left me a bit rattled. So I checked their PSO stats. The button player was a "whitestar" player and only barely in the Top 1000 but had a rating of 1648 before dropping down to 1540 - either way he/she had nothing to play for prize money-wise so could basically throw chips around and try to donk players out of the tournament at will if he/she felt like it. Player in SB is an active player but has played only 9 games and is sub-1450. If I had had this info at my disposal before the hand I think I may have played my hand differently. But thats the problem with this damn scoring system. It can make you lay down hands that you would never lay down in a standard MTT.

As for your fold Barry....I do believe given the situation that you were in that you did make the CORRECT fold. I dont know about you, but I MUCH prefer getting all my chips in first rather than second or third. At least that way you have taken the decision away from yourself and put the decision on someone else's shoulders.

There is an interesting thread started by Dale442, who like you, was high up the leaderboard but is now on a downswing himself due to early busts when holding premium hands. And he is now stuck in the "making the correct call and risking an early exit vs making the incorrect fold but staying in the tournament" debate.

Old
Cheers bindy - Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#7)
ChromeStar
Great to see you back at the forum my friend,Bindy rocks,great kiwi player,i must say,go my friend go,DOGG GONE

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:24 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2011
hi again barry ,yep its that time of the month,finished touney 3hundreds and my best hand i folded A K and on the river turned an ace i would have won,went out on a pair of 5s someone had qs, best play someone went all in with 2s and won,i did well i did not swear,well on my couch i shouted some profanity,did not type any lol hope you get your messaging back soon.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
Don't be results oriented, you could have been up against AA or KK. The fact that you would have won has no place in your decision, it only affects the notes that you should be making on these two players.

Early in PSO tourneys, there are lots of "bingo" players, so called because they go all in on pretty much any two cards. They're looking for an early double up to help them win the tourney, and they are also the reason some players sit out the first half hour or so.

It is possible to go deep by playing ABC poker with some adjustments. Think min raise instead of all in, 22 would call your aces if they were face up. It's a major adjustment, but learning to play the PSO is excellent practice for adjusting to various tourney formats and speeds.

Take advantage of all the resources PSO has to offer, from the library to the live training to the forum. Be patient, and most important of all, don't let variance get the better of you.
why are we here at pso ,are we not here to learn and improve,and if we do ,should we not want to win some money ,pso doesnt give it away we have to ,play ,and if we play shouldnt we at some point WIN something,dont you have to WIN 1st place to WIN $1500
and i know this prize is awarded from pso i am not complaining about the prize money at all .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com