Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

the saturday line up

Old
the saturday line up - Sat Jun 25, 2011, 08:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
so how many ppl here are gonna play in the saturday line up tournaments today?i invested $60.00 off my bankroll in the eliminator and the speedway tournament today because off the no lose ticket you can recieve iff you dont get into the money in any off the tournaments you play in1

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2010
Playing the $11 HU and $33 Turbo

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Good Luck Ronh!!

Good luck everyone!!

Hey enprinte...welcome to the forum.. have a great weekend and good luck today.
Let us know if you have any questions.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh1967 View Post
so how many ppl here are gonna play in the saturday line up tournaments today?i invested $60.00 off my bankroll in the eliminator and the speedway tournament today because off the no lose ticket you can recieve iff you dont get into the money in any off the tournaments you play in1
Be aware, "Players are only eligible for one No Lose ticket", no matter how many they enter. See http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/saturday/

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Played the $3.30 game and busted out just out of the money.

I play a lot of those STT 6-max sit n gos, and with that looser style I always seem to come out of the gate like gangbusters with these MTT tourneys. But then 2 hours in, I don't really know what to do, and start playing out of habit like PSO (you know, like sit). And then I wind up busting out with an all-in eventually ... granted I lost with QQ against 55, so there's an element of bad luck. But the same thing keeps happening again, and again, and again (me kind of stagnating 2 hours in).

Maybe I need to play more MTT's or something? Watch others. And everybody always great about giving tips at these tables ... lots of fun interesting people

Cool that we get to try again next week if we didn't cash this time around ... hope everybody's having a good time!

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dR3am3R59 View Post
Be aware, "Players are only eligible for one No Lose ticket", no matter how many they enter. See http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/saturday/
i know that thats why i picked the two i mentioned,since i just busted out off the eliminator if i dont make the money in the speedway then ill get my ticket in the speedway,i might try the 11 hueads up later if im home good luck to every playing today

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
(#7)
Cashed in the micro, shoved K9 on the button when it was folded around to me , BB called with J9 and spiked a Jack, it was half his stack also.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:35 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Played the $3.30 game and busted out just out of the money.

I play a lot of those STT 6-max sit n gos, and with that looser style I always seem to come out of the gate like gangbusters with these MTT tourneys. But then 2 hours in, I don't really know what to do, and start playing out of habit like PSO (you know, like sit). And then I wind up busting out with an all-in eventually ... granted I lost with QQ against 55, so there's an element of bad luck. But the same thing keeps happening again, and again, and again (me kind of stagnating 2 hours in).

Maybe I need to play more MTT's or something? Watch others. And everybody always great about giving tips at these tables ... lots of fun interesting people

Cool that we get to try again next week if we didn't cash this time around ... hope everybody's having a good time!

Well for BR management and building purposes MTT's are really the hardest to consistently build in simply because it's typically that odd deep,deep run that gives you a significant boost in your BR and those runs don't come along every day. Just the simple numbers of MTT's there.

It sounds like you're "hitting the wall" in the late middle-game stage and the early bubble stage of these MTT's. My advice is to start playing a steady diet of the 45 and 90 man SNG's as solid play in these will get you to a lot of bubble situations and the more times you play under those circumstances the better you'll get at it. And the fields in the 45 and 90 mans are large enough that you'll feel "invested" enough in the outcome that making the bubble will have a similar "feel" to you as making it in an MTT.

Also given the much shorter odds in these they are more consistent BR building options than MTT's. I always felt that being successful in SNG's was a good way to fund MTT play. I would either participate in 19honu62's Live Training sessions on these particular SNG's or watch the videos of the same.

Just to me the plays that you would make in a Single Table SNG don't translate well at all to MTT situations and while the 45 and 90 mans aren't ideally comparable they are a lot closer. With the added kicker of potentially being a consistent way to build your BR.

I would find a buy-in level that fits you BR (err on the side of being conservative if your BR is $100 or less) and grind a big number.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:45 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
Cashed in the micro, shoved K9 on the button when it was folded around to me , BB called with J9 and spiked a Jack, it was half his stack also.
Hey, congrats!!

You think we were that person to somebody else, when we were climbing up the ladder, and just don't remember the shoe being on the other foot?

I don't really play hands like J9o for all-in, but sometimes I'll call with whatever and be the second-best hand and still suck out a win ... funny how I only remember when it happens to me though

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Well for BR management and building purposes MTT's are really the hardest to consistently build in simply because it's typically that odd deep,deep run that gives you a significant boost in your BR and those runs don't come along every day. Just the simple numbers of MTT's there.

It sounds like you're "hitting the wall" in the late middle-game stage and the early bubble stage of these MTT's. My advice is to start playing a steady diet of the 45 and 90 man SNG's as solid play in these will get you to a lot of bubble situations and the more times you play under those circumstances the better you'll get at it. And the fields in the 45 and 90 mans are large enough that you'll feel "invested" enough in the outcome that making the bubble will have a similar "feel" to you as making it in an MTT.

Also given the much shorter odds in these they are more consistent BR building options than MTT's. I always felt that being successful in SNG's was a good way to fund MTT play. I would either participate in 19honu62's Live Training sessions on these particular SNG's or watch the videos of the same.

Just to me the plays that you would make in a Single Table SNG don't translate well at all to MTT situations and while the 45 and 90 mans aren't ideally comparable they are a lot closer. With the added kicker of potentially being a consistent way to build your BR.

I would find a buy-in level that fits you BR (err on the side of being conservative if your BR is $100 or less) and grind a big number.
Oh that's an interesting idea Moxie - kind of like how I thought it'd be interesting to get deep stack experience (eg 10,000 chips). But then found those games that start with 3,000 chips that are cheaper and have people at the same level of experience as me. Kind of like a more junior step.

Hmmm ... I'll have to give them a try, and check out the lessons. I've been a little back-logged with my studies ... wish we could download those videos onto iPods. Anybody know of a way to do that?

I suspect some of the problem might be boredom play. Those STT are over in 45 minutes. After 2 hours, I'm climbing the walls.

There's also freerolls - just did a women's league freeroll and the usual happened. Was top 5 the entire time until it got to 75 people left, and then I got AK while the BB was on the big stack, and then look what happened.

Then the entire table went all 'mean girls' on the villain. She looked like Roseanne with a moustache. I don't know where that came from ... just can't help being 'catty' some times I guess

PS I especially like the fact that the 45/90 sit n go's might be a little more bankroll friendly! It'd be nice not to loose too much practicing new stuff

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Jun 25, 2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
(#11)
Quote:
I have a dilemma regarding these SNG's. I want to get comfortable with them before playing higher buy-ins, but at the lower levels everyone's playing bingo. What do you think would be a good starting point, Moxie ?

Quote:
I would either participate in 19honu62's Live Training sessions on these particular SNG's or watch the videos of the same.
They take place too late/early for me to be able to attend. Is it possible to watch the videos ? I wasn't able to find them.

Thanks.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
(#12)
OK dR here's my thoughts on the SNG's...

First all I ever played on the 45/90 man levels were the $0.25's ($0.23+.02 now as I'm sure you know). I wanted to accomplish certain things before I moved up was why---A. Get to the point where I could multi-table somewhat effectively (I was shooting for 5-6 tables at a time,was at the point I could do 3 easily and 4 fairly comfortably when Black Friday hit). B. Once I got to the point I could do that many tables my goal was to grind around 1200-1500 45 mans and 400-600 90 mans (this actually is NOT that big a number on these,if you take notes and look some of the peeps that play these regularly up on OPR you'll see that quite a few of the regs play 40-70 of the 45 man's a day. 19honu62 can grind sicko type numbers on these with killing it results as well. Guy is a beast. ).

So that's a little background so you know where I'm coming from...

As to the point of the multitude of bingo players at these levels my thoughts on that are...

1. Yes there are and for a BR building standpoint I LOVE it.

2. If you think it's hampering your game and progression to play with this type of player I think that you need to keep in mind that at the micro levels this is going to be the largest player type that you'll run into anyway so may as well get used to them.

Look to my mind ANY of us who are (were in my case,hopefully to change sooner than later) still playing at buy-in levels where the money to be won in PSO is worth the time to play PSO are probably playing there for a reason---newer player trying to grow in the game,been playing a while and getting killed,whatever. To me you have to crawl before you walk,then walk before you run. The first step is being able to be successful with the straightest ABC line of playing. That gives you the basic building blocks of the game. Beat the levels you can with that,get it down so that the fundamentals are rote for you,THEN you can start adding and applying other more advanced techniques to your game.

3.The low levels are good places to plug basic potentially devastating leaks one might have. I know for a fact and am honest enough with myself that my competitive streak can be at times detrimental to my game. That led to me being far too results oriented in the short term and getting tilted if I went 3 or 4 games without cashing. Once I got my numbers up to a higher volume (still was way,way short of where I wanted to be when the axe fell tho...) that feeling faded more and more. That's a mental gap I had to plug before I could even think of playing higher levels. And until I can prove to myself over a sample of games like I wanted to grind I won't consider it plugged.

In Trusty's case from what she said about what happens to her in MTT's at around the 2 hour mark it sounds to me like she has a leak in her bubble play. These 45 and 90 mans are a very good place to plug that leak as you'll see a lot of bubbles in them. (This also applies for Final Tables,if you want to get better at FT's these are very good for that as well.)

I don't see any real downside in starting at the basement level,grinding it hard and beating it and then moving up. The positives to me are that it will give you confidence,you can hopefully plug some leaks along the way,you can try out some new plays (expanding your range to get a little more LAG play into your game for one) and if need be when you do move up if and when you hit a rough patch at the next level you'll know that you have a fall-back position if you need one. At the mini-micro levels I'm thinking that shouldn't be a big need,but it;s always nice to have nonetheless.

And of course if you're hitting it hard and beating a level you're building that BR as well. And knowing you have some "go-to" SNG's that you can work like a coal mine let's you loosen up,relax and go for the proper outcomes in MTT's---the deep runs for the big money. If you rely on min-cashing at a high frequency in MTT's to keep a BR static then you're going into MTT's with exactly the WRONG mindset IMO. Make the steady $ in SNG's and go for the kill in MTT's because you didn't really pay for the entry fee,the peeps you skinned in the SNG's did.

As to the videos of honu's training sessions they aren't available yet but I would imagine they will be soon.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 06:48 PM
(#13)
Thank you for the advices, Moxie, and the time you took for such a detailed response.

You see that's why I was asking... I'm not paying myself the buy-in, PSO does it for me. The thing is I tried those 0.25 SNG's, but one table at a time, next to the PSO table. And even if I had a positive ROI, the amounts as you can imagine were insignificant, so I got bored. But I think you're right, I'll try to play more of those till I get the hang of it, then move higher.

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 06:57 PM
(#14)
Check your PM box in a few minutes...

Old
?? - Sat Jun 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
(#15)
Dreamer-- you wanna knock off a plus ROI- on any MICRO sng-- heres the CURE--- ive done it -= Cowboy is doin iy- JD has done it-- and the Moxi- has tried it-- 25 cent - 45 man sngs - DUDE-- tell me i lyin moxie-- just try------------

Old
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 07:55 PM
(#16)
In a medium where 90% or MORE of players are losing players no +ROI numbers at any level is a bad thing. And that is the simple truth of on-line poker---roughly 90% of the players are losing players. Yes it can take a lot of games to see a big return at the mini-micro levels (especially since Stars now collects rake on them,something I never had to deal with...) and that's why learning to multi-table is important. It condenses time (props to xxxchris123 for getting me to see that,miss ya bud...) which speeds up the process.

I never clipped honu's challenge monk but just picking up my volume to even rub up against it was worth the stretch and for that I owe turtle. But seeing as I had gotten to the point I could 3 table easy and was comfortable enough with 4 if we get back on here I'm going for a much bigger number. (I would like to get to 6 tables within 6 months of starting back up,but only if I can spike the numbers I would want.) And I seem to remember that you hung up a real nice number on your grind as well dude. Seem to remember holdupman str8t killing it in the 90 mans as well (think 90's was the Sausage King's route to?...)

But out of anyone in the forum on these honu is definitely the A#1 sicko and that's why anyone who is starting out,or working to build a BR at the micro levels should be hitting his Live Training sessions. Pure micro-grinder gold.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com